Couch Surfing - Free Global Accomodations

englandmj7

I read an article on CNN about "couch surfing" recently and they mentioned both of these websites:

http://www.hospitalityclub.org/

http://www.couchsurfing.com/

I haven't checked out the second one yet, but "Hospitality Club" is pretty damn cool. It has something like 180,000 members in just about every city known to man. Depending on member's profile settings/preferences they will note whether or not they are willing to simply show people around town, or possibly (which seems to be the case with most) offer a place to crash for the night.

Everyone (usually) has profile pics and info. on them so you won't end up roofied at a gay 400-lb man's house and wake up with a cucumber in your ass.....unless you are into that. Anyways, check it out; it's free. I was checking out some lovely ladies in Rio De Janeiro, and Stockholm......yes, pervert. But seriously. For all of us traveler's it seems pretty sweet.

I know a couple of people who have been couch surfing, and they haven't had any problems yet. I guess there's a way for users to vouch for other people (kind of like a stars system in eBay) as well.

I also heard about the air-courier idea, where people just deliver packages at a heavily discounted fare (you can only have your carry-on luggage, your other pieces of luggage are reserved for mail)... anyone have any experience/thoughts with this?

• 1 year later...

Signed up for couchsurfing about a week ago. Going to London for a month in August. Looking for a connect in the UK and France, let me know how I can reach you...

oh ya, and I can offer a place in Seattle once the academic year begins, though I have no set idea as to where I am staying, but it'll be near the university district for college

we're doing it for a few nights in bosnia. it'll be awesome, or we'll end up in Hostel III.

Poly, have a good time out there and make sure to report back.

I just saw Hostel I and II, recently. I know it's just a movie, but some parts of Eastern Europe and probably the Balkans, too, seem really out there. Pretty intense stuff.

Elite Hunting. WTF?

we're doing it for a few nights in bosnia. it'll be awesome, or we'll end up in Hostel III.

Are you staying with Nikunj Gupta? Don't end up in the sex trade.

Poly, have a good time out there and make sure to report back.

I just saw Hostel I and II, recently. I know it's just a movie, but some parts of Eastern Europe and probably the Balkans, too, seem really out there. Pretty intense stuff.

Elite Hunting. WTF?

Reminds me of the greatest movie of ALL TIME featuring Ice-T:

51WQ29FPMML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

But seriously, even though Hostel is pretty stupid (particularly the second one; first one was decent) it's funny how you inherently associate it with certain places. The first film actually takes place in Bratislava and I kept thinking about it when I was a 45-minute drive from there last week, ha hah. Pissed I didn't have the weekend to go check it out.

i prefer heroinsurfing.org. really good place to go for my online fix.

seriously england, where the hell do you find this shit? i think its cool as hell, but would never let someone stay with me. never in fucking hell never.

but the degenerate asshole prick in me sees a lot of opertunity to take advantage of others with drunk druged insanity, so it might kinda be like going to dizzzne land if you score the right chick right out of college looking to expand her horizons.

Actually, good stuff dude, im sold.

she can stay if you post pics. you can get a hotel and listen to me pleaure her over skype. just a thought. look for me on that site thing england recomended above. im under the screen name Fritzel#1.

Couchsurfing works if you're in a pinch. Hosted some kids here (San Diego) back when I had a bit more space, and it was cool, didn't feel gross or iffy at any point. Was thinking about doing it when I went to Peru earlier this year, but mgmt hooked up some nice hotel rooms, so eh.

I know some friends did it in Europe and it worked out great for them (free weed!), and the rating system keeps most miscreants at bay. I imagine though, if your group consists of three big ex-collegiate rowers, not many people are going to mess with you, but if you're a small, lithe girl traveling alone, I'd probably suggest against couchsurfing and instead trying to find a hostel or four to stay at.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i met someone last yr in hk who does the whole couchsurfing thing, and he basically had the time of his life with it. Its very interesting, I would like to try it out.

• 6 months later...

i used the couchsurfing website once to hook up some accomodation in yokohama. thought staying with a half finnish/jap chick would be hella fun, which wasnt really, it was just hella awkward. had dinner, chatted about her love of suicidal death metal, slept in her bed and peaced as soon as i could.

• 4 months later...
Guest wockawockawocka
i used the couchsurfing website once to hook up some accomodation in yokohama. thought staying with a half finnish/jap chick would be hella fun, which wasnt really, it was just hella awkward. had dinner, chatted about her love of suicidal death metal, slept in her bed and peaced as soon as i could.

are you kidding? that sounds amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
Just curious as to whether or not anyone on here is a "CouchSurfer.".

ive couchsurfed on two occasions, the first of which was in iceland. there were four of us altogether, staying in reykjavik. the guys who hosted us had allowed travelers from the site to stay at their apartment for the better part of a year and almost every night in that year did they have guests. somewhere around sixty or seventy people had come through their digs. i really recommend couchsurfing because you can hook up with the locals right off the bat and if they aren't too busy with work and whatnot, they can show you some of the stuff you'd absolutely never find otherwise. aside from us paying for gas and cooking some stellar meals for our hosts during the week, we were given free housing and a massive tour of the entire country of iceland. perhaps the highlight was being brought to a super insanely hidden underground cave to kick back in the most relaxing hot spring where we went skinny dipping beneath a mountain where the eurasian and north american tectonic plates meet. truly an unforgettable experience. at one point we were brought to our host's friends house in the north of the country for a few days where my girlfriend and i had our own private room. along the way we were given endless hand picked shrooms from the icelandic countryside while we were kept smoked up throughout the entire trip. no complaints.

the second time ive couchsurfed was in puerto rico where my girlfriend and i decided to get away on a whim so we flew the same evening. we messaged some people on couchsurfing prior to takeoff and checked our email upon landing. a really amazing artist surfer guy offered us his spare bedroom where we spent our entire week. his place was three blocks from the beach in the most desirable, in my opinion, area of san juan, condado. he took us out to some local bars where i met some amazing people, lots of expatriates with super daunting stories to tell as well as a wealth of travelers from all over. the guy even brought us out to a stellar dinner on HIS dime one night. can't complain about free food and accommodations when the quality was as high as this was. By no means were we sacrificing quality of a vacation by staying with him. He was at work all day so his place was ours most of the time, and his place was niice. his outdoor balcony opening up to the living room created some superb living space.

overall i've made some amazing friends through couchsurfing, and i mean friends that i'm not going to forget. in fact, our puerto rican host is coming to NY in a little over a month to hang. i would definitely look into this type of traveling next time you go anywhere. most every host will give you your own set of keys to come and go as you please as well. just remember to make a thoughtful CS profile because thats the only thing that a host has to evaluate your character and it also helps to travel with a girl and have her do the talking..

• 2 weeks later...