usa :: new york :: shopping

i wish i had known abt this when i went to new york a few weeks back... 11% discount at bloomingdales and macys if u have an out of state drivers licence... dont think this has been posted yet

http://weblogs.amny.com/entertainment/urbanite/blog/2008/03/the_best_shopping_discovery_ev.html

Good info.

I think that discount is applicable in most states in the US.

When my mother was in town (middle of nowhere USA), she told a macys SA

that she was a traveler. She got some kind of a special discount coupon that was

15% off.

• 3 weeks later...

If i was in New York this would be the first store i would visit:

Nom De Guerre

http://www.nomdeguerre.net/

To find this store, feels like an accomplishment in new York. A fantastic place known to few, tucked in the basement of one of the busiest intersections for shop-aholics in new york.

On Broadway and bleeker. Across the street from the fish market called Atrium, there is the Swatch store. There are some stairs going down next to the Swatch store and on the floor you will find the words "Print Shop". Take the stairs down and turn right into a shop which becomes eerily quiet and the sales man never smiles. But carry on and you may be rewarded for your courage.

The 'Name of War" is a weird name for a store which is japanese, but for the japanese I believe such strange names are normal for their voracious apetite to be unique, even in the slightest of details. Two floors designed like 2nd World War bunkers and you will find plenty of examples like big olive trunks (i mean army storage trunks not under wears) from that era. The first section is devoted to Nom De Guerres own collection. True to its name, the colour and the texture of fabrics, the cuts and the design of the coats and jackets, have a hint of army couture in it . But they are some very well done pieces and they fit you very well. The thing about this place is that they take normal, popular New York street attre like over-coats, hoodies, and even suits and use such good fabrics and cut them in such a trendy way that its neither very casual and never very formal. But as I said before, people will ask you, "where did you buy this from?" The first floor also has English boots and shoes.

The Basement of this basement store is devoted to limited edition casual shoes and to the best selction of no-nonsense trendy designers: Rogan, Surface to Air Paris, A.P.C., Commes de Garsons and some others.

*Edit: I believe now that they dont carry any other brands other than thier store brand Nom De Guerre

prices: T-shirts range from 75-200 or more

sport jackets; 200-400 or more

hoodies: 200-700

shirts: 150-300

coats: 300+ usually average around 500. can go up to 800

shoes: 200+

sweaters: average 300.

The sales people can be cold. But ignore that if you can. They will talk to you when you speak to them, but they will not be all over you. They are not rude; but not friendly either. And sometimes I like places like that as compared to the supermarkets like Atrium where are people flock like flies and the salesmen and women are all over, asking you what do you need a hundred times over. Leave me alone man, especially if I am spending a few hundred bucks.

The fitting rooms are large and the mirrors are huge. The rooms are well lit. So you get a good vew of what you are buying without the added pressure.

Now for the very important part. It matters when you go to this place. If you are looking to buy good fall stuff, you have to go in August. By October everything is gone, and they do not get any new pieces. Same for spring. Get it in january.

• 2 months later...
Hey, I've done some research on the board and with friends from NYC and this is the list I have. Decided to pretty much skip designer stores (Margiela, N(N), etc.).

Why would you skip the designer stores? The Margiela store in particular is worth visiting just to see it, very friendly SAs as well.

• 3 weeks later...
A quick bump since I leave a couple days.

-Some girl I met told me I really need to visit a store called Summit. She said it used to carry Cloak, Proenza Schouler, etc. before they blew up, generally have a good eye for new designers. I can't find info on it anywhere. Opinions?

-Same girl also said Chinatown has some decent boutiques worth looking through once you get past the all of the counterfeit stands. Truth?

Thanks.

Blue In Greene is near Chinatown by the bootleg stalls, once you past the stands you're near soho\tribecca.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi everyone, first time posting!

I was wondering if you guys can help me out, I'm heading to New York City for a few days for the first time and I need some help/advice on what shops I "must" go to.

I'm a young female, my style is... sort of street I think? I love color, long knit tops, patterns, dresses, and shoes.

Some shops I like are:

http://www.idontlikemondays.us

http://needsupply.com/womens/

http://www.tobi.com/women

http://www.minusey.com/

Budget is anywhere up to $200. I'm a student so I guess the cheaper (with some quality) the better. I also live in Toronto so I would like to stay away from some of the bigger shops that I can already find here.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to see some of the replies. :)

• 1 month later...

It's my first time in NE and I feel like I need to prepare for NE winter. I have plenty of wool coats, but want to get something that I can wear casually.

Does it really get cold here? would I need something like this? I see many people with down jacket and not sure if I should stick to something like this or the down ones? it sure cost a pretty penny to stay warm..

:)wmnstresjktblack.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

First post on here, and already asking for help! haha.

Do you guys know independent stores for girls, the kind who sell clothes and jewelry designers? I got a friend who own a jewelry line and she would like to place her products while we are in town. Any ideas? :)

• 1 month later...

Headed to NYC this weekend from the west coast and was wondering if there were any contemporary street/lifestyle stores in the surrounding area you guys could recommend. Cheers!

• 2 months later...