Moving to Japan in a few months. What can I do NOW to prepare?

soundune

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the occasion. i dont tihnki youll last 1 year. youll get homesick i say a good 2 months.youll be flying back to the u.s.a

well, seeing as i've lived in five different countries in the past 23 years (japan will be the sixth) and taking into account i'll be an officer in the Navy and leaving after two months might end up in a courts martial - i think i'll probably stay.

but thanks for the negative attitude! holla

^^^ close england, but no cigar.

sukajan or sukajyan is the satin elaborately embroidered jackets that they make in yokosuka. it's the melding of "yokosuka" and "jyanpa" (which means "jumper" or jacket). i think they are also called tour jackets.

anyways, the japanese embroiderers in the yokosuka area started making these for military personelle to buy as souveniers. that's why they have such incredibly ridiculous uber-asian themes--the navy guys liked that stuff. eventually, it started becoming a part of japanese fashion as well.

here's a site that sells them:

http://www.sukajacket.com/index.html

I would recommend making japanese friends for practice (rosetta stone and pimsleur aren't really natural). I found this site really helpful for grammar. Kanji will most likely come naturally from living there, but you might want to try the book "Remembering the Kanji" helpful but very time consuming.

Enjoy Japan! I'm leaving this Thursday and even though I'm glad to leave, I'm sure I'll miss it.

Learn to love onigiri.

Balls of rice with assorted "stuff" inside them, you can get them at most convenience stores for 125 yen. Cheap, filling, and healthy.

I prefer the ones with cooked salmon. Yum.

But be careful...some of them have natto and unless it's your jam you REALLY don't want a mouthful of that.

Be sure to check out KiddyLand while your there. It's in Shibuya, and the best toy store ever. :)

S

yeah, the riceballs that you can get from 7-11 and lawsons, etc. are awesome.

they have perfected the technology so the rice and the nori are packaged in separate plastic coverings. you just ask the guy at the counter to heat them up, then, you pull on the arrows and voila, you have hot steaming rice covered in dry seweed.

also at the convenience store is oden, and bentos. tastes great and cheap.

Guest jmatsu
It's on omotesando, but more towards shibuya than aoyama.

i know exactly where it is. omotesando dori by the kosaten and the bank. the walking duration from kiddyland is closer to aoyama then shibuya. not to mention it's in minato-ku.

Guest jmatsu
Hookah bars! Do they exist in Tokyo?

this is actually a good question. i have not heard of any. there has to be at least one. i'll find it. if not, i'll make it.

Guest jmatsu
It's not minato-ku, it switches from shibuya to minato after (or close to) aoyama dori.

KIDDY LAND - Harajuku

6-1-9 Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo

MAP

fuuukkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay, you got me on official geographic logistics (whoever decided on the actual adresses is dumb when you actually think of the closest koban and eki ...)

but seriously, who fuckin calls shit on omotesando dori harajuku or shibuya (except for tourists or really ancient tokyo-jin)?

fuuukkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay, you got me on official geographic logistics (whoever decided on the actual adresses is dumb when you actually think of the closest koban and eki ...)

but seriously, who fuckin calls shit on omotesando dori harajuku or shibuya (except for tourists or really ancient tokyo-jin)?

All my hip japanese friends and all geographically accurate people do, of course.

Omotesando and Harajuku are in Shibuya-ku, that's just how it is.

Guest jmatsu
All my hip japanese friends and all geographically accurate people do, of course.

Omotesando and Harajuku are in Shibuya-ku, that's just how it is.

yeah they are, but if someone says "let's hang out or walk around in shibuya..."

i seriously doubt if anyone is going to say "meet me at kiddyland."

i'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but no one refers to stores on omotesando dori as shibuya (even though you're superficially correct).

yeah they are, but if someone says "let's hang out or walk around in shibuya..."

i seriously doubt if anyone is going to say "meet me at kiddyland."

I don't see the point. If a friend said "lets go vist Tokyo" would you hang out around Tokyo-eki? I mean, Shibuya isn't limited to its station, it goes all the way to Sendgaya in that direction...