Moving to NYC

I live in Boston and it's just not doing it for me anymore, I find myself taking the 4 hour bus trip down to NYC almost every other weekend. Does anyone need a roomate? Wheres the best place to look for a pad in Manhattan that I wouldn't have to cut my arm off for? Any other suggestions on where to look? Thanks.

IDonTcare

new york does have that affect on me as well, although im a student in london, with little or no money at times and in my current state in a RED LETTER state..i still managed to scrape together money to go TWICE last year... its that addictive

London is an amazing place and i dont live in the area to which id love to im ther all the time day, night what ever...

cities are drugs on thier own thats before you take em in em...let a lone with them..

lo-key uncharacteristic, uncultured, narrow minded places to live are no places to live....to live is to live in the nuclease of it all....

all im saying is go for it man

mm i need to go to japan that WILL change my life

good move...personally I shy away from using brokers to find apartments b/c paying a 'broker fee' being the paying consumer just doesn't make any business sense...Craigslist is a great start...it depends on when you're moving but a friend of mine might have a spot open in May...He has a 2500 sq ft pad, 3 bedrooms in Chinatown. Think the bedroom runs $1200, pretty reasonable given the size and location. If it opens up I'll let you know....otherwise, comb Craiglist on the daily.

“Isn’t it strange how it’s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn’t recycled?†- Aesop Rock

That's the thing, the chances of finding a cheap place in Manhattan is like finding Paris Hilton without a cock in her mouth or without powder in her nose....maybe on the Upper Upper East Side or Battery Park but those areas are shit....best bet for low rent is Brooklyn...there are a lot of great places...If you move to NYC, you want to live in a inspiring neighborhood....if you live on the Upper East Side, you'll get extremely bored and spend all your money on cabs...

“Isn’t it strange how it’s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn’t recycled?†- Aesop Rock

you should check out places in jerseyt

my brother lives in nutley new jersey...its like 10 minutes away from the path where you can get into NYC for a dollar or so and all he pays is less than 800 a month without a roommate. its a pretty decent apartment too....yer far enough from nyc to get a cheak rent, but close enough to work and hangout there all the time.

I'd also add the Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill area....lots of good eats there...some shops and bars

• 3 weeks later...

I gotta bachelor of commerce but I work in a fucken supermarket! My buddy's an accountant and he's never been to uni. Degrees don't mean shit imo. just do what u wanna do.

I also live in a shithole called Canberra. Boston sounds like paradise.

I'm gonna get outta Canberra soon as I save enuf cash.

2000AD Hectic Homeboys Lace Themselfs on a Daily Basis

don'tcare - I don't really know what you're talking about.....how can you rate how cool someone is just by where they work? I'm not one to insult people on the internet but that's a pretty stupid comment...and since when are you so well informed about the hiring processes of these various NYC boutiques? I just hate when people on this board post BS about subjects they know nothing about and lead honest members astray...

Your best bet to work at these shops is connections....If you don't know anyone, it could be tough going for a bit but I'd casually stop by the shops during the week, make contacts and let them know you're new in town and looking for any shifts that might be open....

bartending and waiter gigs could hold you over until you break into one of these boutiques

Edited by Dave Russ on Apr 18, 2005 at 10:24 AM

you basically need to know somebody..

plus, and no offense to these people, why would you want to bust your a$$ getting here to end up working retail? no matter how you cut it, itll be tough for you to get by especially if you want to live in manhattan.

you can always bite the bullet, put a resume together and get with a placement agency, its not glamorous but its a start.

wha?http://www.livejournal.com/users/dorien/

well right now I do stock at Anthropologie (expensive-ass womens clothing/housewares) in Boston and I have mad stock expirience from the Gap too. Whats the cheapest way to live in or near Manhattan? I've been in love with NYC since I was a kid. Thanks for all the help, blokes.

Looky here, it's just the way the cookie tear. Prepare to get hurt and mangled like Kurt Angle, rookie year.