Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

Photos will be up the middle of next week. 

I personally think it's the best fit he's ever done.  Some of his fits have been too wide or too slim or too low of a rise for me personally, but this one is perfect and is the best fitting jean i've put on from him. 

Cosign on this.  The rise on these is generous enough to sit at your natural waist, and there is room to accommodate large hips/thighs, but the taper from the thigh to the hem gives a very very flattering fit.  Not entirely unlike a 1966, it'll be a pretty slim jean on skinnier dudes, but will also have ample room without looking sloppy for guys who like slightly more relaxed fits.

piggy backing off of tyler and kiya, this is probably my favorite fit from Roy. Seeing it on Roy, who's pretty tall and skinny, and also on another guy who was shorter and stockier, the jean somehow works for both body types. Plus the leather patch design and art is definitely my favorite of all the Roy jeans so far. if i didn't already just pick up a pair of strike golds, i would definitely get one for myself. 

I forget...is the 3009 based on a 66 cut as well?

Loosely kinda.  It tends to have a pretty similar silhouette, and the gradual taper of the leg from the thigh all the way down is pretty 66ish but a true 1966 has a fair amount more rise, and is fuller in the thigh with a slightly more pronounced taper.  While the silhouette of this Roy jean might end up in very similar territory (depending on your height, shape, size) appearance wise, the significantly higher rise will give it an entirely different feel.  Leg shape is probably poorly but accurately described as a hybrid between the 3009 and the 3012 with a top block that reminds me of Sugarcane's 1947.

Sounds like it'll be really great for a lot of people... definitely in the running for my next pair of jeans!  It seems like cuts that I'll enjoy are relatively few and far between and considering this is roy we're talmbout... damn

I've been holding off on a pair of 3009s until the fall, but this new Roy release has me curious. As Kiya has said, none of the previous releases (except maybe the Buck-Tite) were what I was after, but this one sounds really good. 

How's the rise compared to the 3sixteen+ 30BSP? Similar?

I've been holding off on a pair of 3009s until the fall, but this new Roy release has me curious. As Kiya has said, none of the previous releases (except maybe the Buck-Tite) were what I was after, but this one sounds really good. 

How's the rise compared to the 3sixteen+ 30BSP? Similar?

I'd say it's fairly close to the 30BSP in rise, we'll have measurements up mid-week next week.

Hey Kiya. I stopped in SEA last Sunday while I was in town. Brennan (sp?) was great and helped me out a lot with trying on several different jeans, shirts and jackets. I ended up with RJB 105BSP in size 33 and IH SEXIH22TYPE III jacket in size 44/XXL. I also really like the brown hickory shirt (XXL is my size there too) and the IH 633 in 34. I was concerned that the 633 would shrink too small as the 34 fit perfect raw and the 36 was way way too big. So many great things going on there!

Hey Kiya. I stopped in SEA last Sunday while I was in town. Brennan (sp?) was great and helped me out a lot with trying on several different jeans, shirts and jackets. I ended up with RJB 105BSP in size 33 and IH SEXIH22TYPE III jacket in size 44/XXL. I also really like the brown hickory shirt (XXL is my size there too) and the IH 633 in 34. I was concerned that the 633 would shrink too small as the 34 fit perfect raw and the 36 was way way too big. So many great things going on there!

Mike, 

Glad you were able to come by SELA, Brennan is awesome and just starting working at the store a few months ago.  We've got two really great musicians working at SELA now and they both love showing off what we've got to offer at the store.

About that 633s.. the jean shrinks because it's unsanforized but it doesn't shrink like FH or SG's denim does, so if you got the 34 and did a quick ten minute cold water soak and line dry you'll be fine as long as you only cold water washed it down the line (as you should anyway with all your jeans).

Edited by kiya

Need photo evidence of this.

ZC4V1Td.png

The photo is on my phone, but for multiple reasons i won't be posting it anywhere.  I can show it to you in person though!

Edited by kiya

About that 633s.. the jean shrinks because it's unsanforized but it doesn't shrink like FH or SG's denim does, so if you got the 34 and did a quick ten minute cold water soak and line dry you'll be fine as long as you only cold water washed it down the line (as you should anyway with all your jeans).

Do you recommend the same for the SEXIH22 Type III jacket? Same denim, right? How much will it shrink, and then stretch? I could have gone w/ a 42/XL, but I'm expecting some shrink and want to be able to move with it on lol. It's a loose fit on me now and looks good, but the 42 would have been tight. 

Do you recommend the same for the SEXIH22 Type III jacket? Same denim, right? How much will it shrink, and then stretch? I could have gone w/ a 42/XL, but I'm expecting some shrink and want to be able to move with it on lol. It's a loose fit on me now and looks good, but the 42 would have been tight. 

Denim jackets don't tend to stretch much because rarely is there much pressure on the denim in any area.  If you want some shrinkage in the one you have i would do a warm soak for thirty minutes.

I had damn near the same experience in SF. Tried on a few pairs and walked out with RJB's. Couldn't be more happy.

If it helps. My SExIH jacket shrunk as expected. I used hot water, but but I was looking for a little more shrinkage. Before and after pics. The main thing is the body and sleeves tightened up.

W4ID3xX.png

88lATUt.png

Looking great Summ3rhays!  How many washes is that now?

I have the exact same jacket (44) with only a cold water soak and line dry.  Minimal-moderate shrinkage so far -- will, no doubt, get more if I warm or hot wash.

John

hey Kiya, i was wondering if you could make a recommendation on a pair of jeans. i have a pretty physically demanding job where my jeans are constantly subjected to abrasions, dirty water, and intense heat. i'm currently wearing some 25oz IH 666-XHS's, and they're holding up well. however, i would like to get another pair of jeans to rotate with them so they last me a little longer. any thoughts?

hey Kiya, i was wondering if you could make a recommendation on a pair of jeans. i have a pretty physically demanding job where my jeans are constantly subjected to abrasions, dirty water, and intense heat. i'm currently wearing some 25oz IH 666-XHS's, and they're holding up well. however, i would like to get another pair of jeans to rotate with them so they last me a little longer. any thoughts?

I would get a pair of the 301s from Iron Heart, the denim will probably last longer than their 25oz denim as we've found that their 21oz lasts the longest out of all their fabrics so far.  It's a slim fit similar to the 666, but maybe a hair slimmer down the leg.

For the SExI14 that you (Kiya) were coming out in around 4 months will I be able to try them on in store at all locations? I really want to grab a pair but don't want to gamble on the fit whatsoever. 

The new SEXI23 Imperial collab comes out in June and will be available at all four of our stores.

cool, thanks kiya.

i wanted to ask, too, while we're on the subject of the 301's..my 666-XHS's have a 301 "21oz" leather tag on the back, but it's stamped as the 666. i've always wondered if that was a mistake, or if they use them interchangeably.

Edited by Rain Dogs

cool, thanks kiya.

i wanted to ask, too, while we're on the subject of the 301's..my 666-XHS's have a 301 "21oz" leather tag on the back, but it's stamped as the 666. i've always wondered if that was a mistake, or if they use them interchangeably.

Yes, some runs of the 666-XHS were made with the wrong leather patch, the denim is 25oz but the patch says 21oz.