Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

Roy "Big Bro" Natural Indigo-Dyed Denim Shirt

For the start of the new year we have Roy's third shirt release using the most exotic fabric thus far. This shirt is made of a natural indigo-dyed denim produced by Japan's famed Collect Mills which specializes in older dying techniques and using natural plant-based indigo dyes. The fabric's weight clocks in at 8oz per square yard, meaning it can also be used as an overshirt. 

This new shirt has a more rugged feel and look to it compared to Roy's past shirts, much of that is attributed to the triple-stitched body, heavier fabric, and the simple solid aluminum cat's eye buttons.

One of the details we personally love is the busted selvedge seam up the back of the shirt, over time you'll have jean-like train tracks running up your back. Also, Roy has this wild machine that's able to do a stitch that melts our minds, it's meant to be an invisible hemming machine but to us it looks like a crazy fabric perforator. He's used this machine to hem the front placket of the shirt which also hides the button backs from your body when the shirt is worn.  The gussetted side seams have two layers of fabric accenting the gusset, the denim for durability then the selvedge ID of the deadstock Cone selvedge chambray peaking out behind it for the natural selvedge accent.

This is a versatile shirt with an impressive shade of blue due to the natural indigo dye that's going to age well with regular wear and washings. We can't wait to see what these shirts look like after six or twelve months of wear. 

This Roy shirt will go on sale at all Self Edge stores at noon (local time) on Saturday, February 1st. The shirt will also go on sale at 10am (PST) the same day in our online store.  This shirt will not be remade or restocked, this is an edition of 80 shirts.

Shirt is being modeled by Roy Slaper in an unwashed Medium size.  Check the online store for a full spec list on the shirt, measurements, hi-res photos, and more.  

ROY_01.jpg

ROY_03.jpg

ROY_04.jpg

ROY_05.jpg

ROY_06.jpg

ROY_07.jpg

ROY_08.jpg

ROY_09.jpg

ROY_10.jpg

Yeah, damn. Looks like I might have found that denim shirt I was looking for after all...

I've never actually owned a straight ahead denim shirt that wasn't a western shirt, but that is going to change with this new Roy shirt.

Says unwashed, how much shrinkage can you expect with a wash?

Copy paste text, don't quote me...oh wait:

"Disclaimer: These shirts are made of sanforized denim, when washed the fabric will shrink ~1" in the length and ~1" in the chest. Please keep this in mind when choosing your size."

I'm wondering if I want to wear it as an over-shirt should I size up?

I usually wear a Large in Roy.

If you want to wear it as an overshirt and you were a Large in his past shirts i would get an XL and hot soak it.

the machine they're referring to is different from the busted seam. don't have a good picture of the busted seam on the shirtbut it's looks like the out seam of jeans but just up the back of the shirt:

Dz3OmkZl.jpg

here's the hemstitch seam on the placket: 

ePnZKCIl.jpg

the machine they're referring to is different from the busted seam. don't have a good picture of the busted seam on the shirtbut it's looks like the out seam of jeans but just up the back of the shirt:

Dz3OmkZl.jpg

here's the hemstitch seam on the placket: 

ePnZKCIl.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I was a little confused by Kiya's description of "fabric perforator," but that's exactly what it looks like. Makes a lot of sense now.

Here are some photos of details we didn't originally include for the new Roy natural indigo dyed denim shirt:
XXX_0088.jpg
XXX_0089.jpg
XXX_0090.jpg
XXX_0092.jpg

Holy smokes, all them larges are gone.

Still have one left at SELA if you'd like to place a phone (or email) order.

Here's a little write-up about the Union Special 43200g Chainstitching machine in today's Marrow Magazine:

Edited by kiya