Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

^ Have the long-sleeved version in natural (2 of them, actually) and it’s one of my favorite undershirts—probably one of my favorite knit fabrics overall, actually

Super comfortable, holds in heat well, breathes great, doesn’t itch, handles the washing machine just fine…would def. recommend

Do wish they’d flatlock the shoulders, though (or use any sort of folded / flat seam, really), and it’d be awesome if they used silk thread for this sort of thing in stead of poly

Flat Head Flannels, Denim Shirts, and Cordovan Small Wallets

This week we have two new shirts from Flat Head and a fresh run of all six styles of their Shinki shell cordovan small wallets.

First up we have a Self Edge exclusive flannel!  This fabric part of Flat Head’s heavy winter flannel series and is made of Flat Head’s heaviest selvedge flannel which have been double brushed on the interior for comfort and wind resistance. These shirts are finished with real mother-of-pearl inlayed buttons and double-needle and chainstitch construction.

Next up we have an item they've been making with small tweaks every year for over twenty years, a snap buttoned selvedge denim shirt.  These things are made of a pure-indigo dyed 10oz Japanese selvedge denim and finished with real mother-of-pearl snap buttons. 

We also have Flat Head's Shinki Tannery shell cordovan small wallets in three styles and two colors. All six wallets are hand-cut, hand-sewn, pigskin lined, and made in-house in Flat Head’s own leather craft workshop in Nagano, Japan. 

You can find all these items now at all stores and online.

Shop Flat Head Online

Flat_Head_Copperfield_Heavy_Winter_Flann

Flat_Head_NEXT_Edition_Western_Shirt_10o

fh_small_wallet_tan_01-680x1025.jpg
fh_small_wallet_blk_02-1025x680.jpg
FH_WALLET_MAIN-683x1082.JPG
FH_WALLET2_0004-1025x684.jpg
pic-640x960.jpg
pic-640x960.jpg

Hoodies, Shirts, Jackets, Jeans, & Wallets from Iron Heart

This week we have a large delivery from Iron Heart with loopwheeled hoodies, military serge snap shirts, Type III jackets made of split steer cowhide, straight leg jeans in 21oz indigo and black, and folding calf leather wallets in two colors.

Iron Heart’s very nice loopwheeled hoodies are now available in both zip-up and pull-over styles. Both are built to last, are super warm and soft, and have a true loopwheeled fleece which has a nice “grain” to it from the loopwheeling processing. 

The split steer rough-out modified Type III jacket is back! You’ve never felt a heavy leather this butter soft to the touch. These are a modified Type III pattern with hand pockets done up in a super soft split cowhide.

The Iron Heart Military Serge shirt in olive is also back. These are made of an Iron Heart developed 13oz military serge fabric and finished with black Permex IH branded snap buttons, felled inner seams, and single, double, and triple needle construction. They're great for all season wear, are rugged, and the fabric has a unique hand-feel.

All these items along with a full restock of straight leg jeans in indigo and black and folding calf leather wallets in black or tan are available now at all stores.

Shop Iron Heart Online

IH_HOODIE_01-684x1025.jpg
ih_pullover_large_01-680x1025.jpg

IH_COW_01-684x1025.jpg
SE%20HOME%20FEATURE%202017_0019_IRON%20H

Iron_Heart_13oz_Military_Serge_Snap_Shir
Iron_Heart_13oz_Military_Serge_Snap_Shir

Hey Kiya (or anyone else who wants to give their 2 cents), I’m looking to order a few new white t- shirts from you guys. I’ve owned tees from the Flat Head c. 2014, Stevenson c. 2015 & 2016, Lady White c. 2016 and Whitesville c. 2017, all purchased from you all, with the latter two being the only ones I still own. Really like the weight of the Flat Head and Whitesville fabrics but found their cuts a little too boxy and short for my frame. The Stevenson tee was perfect all around but since they changed the fabric they used in 2016 I’ve lost interest.

Here are a couple of pics of the tees I still have:

Lady White size Small

A3BF11D6-13DF-4E9C-A297-05437DE781D8.thumb.jpeg.6221c0bc603f898ecd0788fb0c13679c.jpeg

Whitesville size Medium

0DC90474-A584-47CD-B3DA-6A3C4F9B54BE.thumb.jpeg.241fb0e2097635250b0872219a1e2b12.jpeg

I prefer the cut of the lady white but find the Whitesville is a lot more comfortable and harder wearing. If it was like 2 inches longer it would be perfect. Do you have any suggestions for something that might be good to try? Thanks in advance!

16 minutes ago, chicote said:

Hey Kiya (or anyone else who wants to give their 2 cents), I’m looking to order a few new white t- shirts from you guys. I’ve owned tees from the Flat Head c. 2014, Stevenson c. 2015 & 2016, Lady White c. 2016 and Whitesville c. 2017, all purchased from you all, with the latter two being the only ones I still own. Really like the weight of the Flat Head and Whitesville fabrics but found their cuts a little too boxy and short for my frame. The Stevenson tee was perfect all around but since they changed the fabric they used in 2016 I’ve lost interest.

I prefer the cut of the lady white but find the Whitesville is a lot more comfortable and harder wearing. If it was like 2 inches longer it would be perfect. Do you have any suggestions for something that might be good to try? Thanks in advance!

Hey!  I have a few suggestions for you, all white tees which I think you'd like taking into considering all the tees you've owned in the past:
https://www.selfedge.com/t-shirts?product_id=2536&limit=148

https://www.selfedge.com/t-shirts?product_id=2501&limit=148

https://www.selfedge.com/t-shirts?product_id=2143&limit=148

https://www.selfedge.com/t-shirts?product_id=2072&limit=148

https://www.selfedge.com/t-shirts?product_id=1880&limit=148

Thanks kiya, appreciate the help! I’ve heard good things about the sda tees - the suvin gold seems a bit overkill but i might go with that anyway.

Edited by chicote

21 hours ago, chicote said:

Hey Kiya (or anyone else who wants to give their 2 cents), I’m looking to order a few new white t- shirts from you guys. I’ve owned tees from the Flat Head c. 2014, Stevenson c. 2015 & 2016, Lady White c. 2016 and Whitesville c. 2017, all purchased from you all, with the latter two being the only ones I still own. Really like the weight of the Flat Head and Whitesville fabrics but found their cuts a little too boxy and short for my frame. The Stevenson tee was perfect all around but since they changed the fabric they used in 2016 I’ve lost interest

I'm a huge fan of the merz b t-shirts. The classic 2-thread shirt is a good mid weight and the weave has some give which I find more comfortable. I own t-shirts from all the companies at SE and the t-shirts I generally grab for the most these days are the merz ones followed by warehouse. 

Studio D'Artisan Summer Collection of Shirts & Jeans

This week we have two new shirts and a limited edition jean from Studio D'Artisan, and the second release from O△X.

O△X is a new line designed and produced by Studio D’Artisan and we’re proud to be the only retailer outside of Japan stocking it. Their second release is the Junk Wax Era chambray. Vintage indigo-dyed kimono fabrics from over 100 years ago are cut into triangles then sewn together to create a new pattern. This "quilt" is then applied to the chambray before the entire garment is hard washed to lighten the indigo shade of the chambray and kimono fabric.

We also have new short sleeve 10oz hickory stripe shirts which are finished with custom SDA steel buttons and are available in navy or gray.

Lastly we have the Fox Fibre jeans. These are limited edition pair of jeans woven on vintage Japanese G3 denim looms using 100% organic Foxfibre, a cotton fiber developed by Sally Fox.

All these items can be found at all stores and online now.

Shop Studio D'Artisan Online

Studio_DArtisan_Fox_Cotton_Fiber_Jeans_S

Studio_DArtisan_Junk_Wax_Era_Chambray_Sh

Studio_DArtisan_Sober_Acid_Hickory_Strip

3sixteen Summer Collection & T-Shirt and Hoodie Restocks

We’ve got a large 3sixteen release this week with four shirts perfect for the warmer months. 

First up we have Leisure Shirts, available in sand or black, both hand block printed for a trippy two-dimensional look. We also have Handloomed Crosshatch Vacation shirts and Olive Jacquard Camp Shirts.

All four of these shirts along with a full restock of heavyweight tees in four colors, Pima cotton tees in two colors, and zippered hoodies in two colors are available now at all stores and online.

Shop 3sixteen Online

3sixteen_Leisure_Shirt_Black_Floral-02-1
3sixteen_Leisure_Shirt_Black_Floral-05-1
3sixteen_Leisure_Shirt_Black_Floral-07-1

3sixteen_Leisure_Shirt_Sand_Floral-02-10
3sixteen_Leisure_Shirt_Sand_Floral-05-10

3sixteen_Vacation_Shirt_Handloom_Crossha
3sixteen_Vacation_Shirt_Handloom_Crossha

3sixteen_Camp_Shirt_Olive_Jacquard-02-10
3sixteen_Camp_Shirt_Olive_Jacquard-07-10

3sixteen_T_Shirts_Pima_Cotton_2_Pack_Bla

The Fine Creek Shinki Horsehide Harris Jacket

Fine Creek’s Harris jacket here is, available now in an all new Shinki Tannery 1.3mm horsehide. These things age like nothing else and are sewn with a massive attention to detail. Yoshi Yamazaki, Fine Creek’s creative director, is a detail freak and it shows once you start seeing how the leather ages and how the seams pucker over time with regular wear. 

This 1.3mm tea-core dyed horsehide is vegetable tanned and aniline finished; it feels and looks great when new and looks unbelievable when broken in. Fine Creek have created a completely new Shinki "recipe" for the Harris model and therefore this exact leather isn’t available on any of their other jackets. 

You can find these now at all stores.

Shop Fine Creek Online

Fine_Creek_Shinki_Horsehide_Jacket_Harri

5 minutes ago, reallypeacedoff said:

No 45s for the Rick Owens Ramones? They look legit! Need a new pair of Converse-esque shoes...

All our Rick Owens footwear goes up to 45 starting the next delivery (Gethsesame) which should start to ship in August!

Sugar Cane AWA-AI Denim, 1966 Jeans, 1953 Denim Jackets, and Whitesville Tees

We've got a hot one this week from Sugar Cane and Whitesville.

Sugar Cane AWA-AI Denim release #1 is here! Here we have a very special 70/30 cotton/sugar cane fiber denim jacket made to showcase natural indigo dying techniques from the Shikoku Island of Japan. This jacket's fibers were dyed in collaboration with the Edo-Blue Revival Association, which preserves Japan's ancient dying techniques. These jackets have a natural indigo fiber warp, a natural weft, a natural indigo dyed deerskin patch, and discharge printed inner pocket flap facing. We also have jeans and two shirts from this same series dropping next week.

After taking a ten year break from carrying Sugar Cane’s 1966 jean we’ve decided to bring them back. This model is a classic cut modeled after what the original 501 was like in 1966. An amazing and timeless style; this cut stays true to the original from the rivets to the paper patch to the custom weaving of the period-correct 13oz double ring-spun selvedge denim produced on narrow shuttle looms, including a color and weave matching to the shade of blue utilized in the manufacturing of the original 1966 jeans.

We've always loved Sugar Cane's version of the classic 1950's style Type II denim jacket. They've gotten the denim feel right, the stitching is perfect, the iron buttons are classically reproduced, and the deer skin patch ages just as well as the denim itself. We're happy to have these back in stock at all stores.

Lastly we now offer Whitesville t-shirt 2-packs in navy! These are now available at all stores in four colors at all stores along with all the new releases.

Shop Sugar Cane Online

Sugar_Cane_AWA-0AI_Natural_Indigo_Sugar_
Sugar_Cane_AWA-AI_Natural_Indigo_Sugar_C

Sugar_Cane_1953_Type_II_Raw_Denim_Jacket

Sugar_Cane_1966_Jean-02-1025x680.jpg
Sugar_Cane_1966_Jean-03-1025x680.jpg
Sugar_Cane_1966_Jean-12-1025x680.jpg

Whitesville_Japanese_Made_T-Shirts_Navy-
WV_WHITE_01-717x1078.jpg
Whitesville_t_shirt_2_packs_Self_Edge-10

11 minutes ago, mpukas said:

@kiya Will TFH be making braided/woven leather wallet chains/leashes? 

No, at this time they are not offering any braided wallet chains.

All Types of Things From Iron Heart

This week we have a large Iron Heart drop of short and long sleeve shirts, super heavy 11oz t-shirts, jeans, socks, vests, and everything in between. 

We have some very nice overdyed short sleeve chambray shirts, overdyed denim CPO shirts, indigo kersey shirts, 12oz Superblack denim workshirts, and a new run of those insanely heavy 11oz blank t-shirts in black. white, and olive.  Along with these new items we also have a new run of the 633n Straight Tapered natural indigo jean, heavy medium-length socks, and black denim vests.

You can find all these new seasonal and re-releases at all of our stores now. 

Shop Iron Heart Online

ron_Heart_18oz_Vintage_Indigo_Denim_CPO_

Iron_Heart_5.5oz_Selvedge_Overdyed_Chamb
Iron_Heart_5.5oz_Selvedge_Overdyed_Chamb

Iron_Heart_Selvedge_Denim_Workshirt_12oz

ih_kersey_large_01-680x1025.jpg
ih_kersey_large_04-1025x680.jpg

IH_633N_01-682x1022.jpg
IH_633N_05-1022x682.jpg

ih_sonny_vest_03-1025x680.jpg
ih_sonny_vest_06-1025x680.jpg

IH_WHITE_04-1025x684.jpg
IH_BLK_04-1025x684.jpg
Iron_Heart_Super_Duper_Heavy_11oz_T_Shir

IH_Socks_Black_Gray_1-680x1025.jpg

Pure Blue Japan Extra Slub Denim Jeans

New Pure Blue Japan! The EX-013 Extra Slub denim jeans are here. This 17.5oz denim is woven at a very low tension with a super short staple cotton, giving the fabric extreme character. These have a slightly higher slub level than their previous “Super Rough” series and with bit more waviness to the denim. 

You can find these now at all stores.

Shop Pure Blue Japan

Pure_Blue_Japan_EX-013_17.5oz_Extra_Slub

Rick Owens for Self Edge 16oz Indigo Black-Waxed Detroit jeans

The Rick Owens for Self Edge 16oz Indigo Black-Waxed Detroit jeans, they’re here. This is an all new denim developed exclusively for Self Edge in the Made in Japan version of Rick Owens’ Detroit fit as part of their PHLEGETHON SS21 season. We’re all familiar with black overdyed jeans, where the denim starts as indigo and is overdyed (aka, garment dyed) black for a unique washed out black denim which ages over time to become an interesting combination of black and indigo with wear. With this new release the fabric starts off as a heavy 16oz Japanese selvedge indigo denim which has been heat treated with a special black garment wax to give the fabric the appearance of a black denim. With wear as the wax wears off the jean will reveal the indigo denim beneath the wax in places of hard wear; this wear happens far faster on a waxed jean than an overdyed jean. We love the way these turned out, and are excited to offer this jean in what we think is the most versatile jean silhouette Rick Owens produces. We’re looking forward to further exploring the possibilities of this type of “overdying” as it’s an eco-friendly way to turn an indigo blue denim into black.

This Rick Owens release is exclusive to Self Edge and is a continuation of the first capsule which was released in the fall of 2019 as part of the LARRY collection. You can find these new Indigo Black-Waxed jeans at all stores and online now.

Shop Rick Owens Online

Heavyweight_DRKSHDW_Detroit_Jeans_Made_i
Rick_Owens_for_Self_Edge_Heavyweight_DRK

The Sugar Cane AWA-AI Indigo Capsule Collection

This week we have the AWA-AI Natural Indigo limited edition capsule collection from Sugar Cane made of some beautiful textiles they've developed with Japan's oldest indigo heritage studio. We have a pair of jeans, a denim jacket, and two summer-weight long sleeve shirts.  All four garments are made using a combination of different indigo dying techniques and utilize both cotton and sugar cane fiber yarns on the jeans and jacket. 

All four of these items can be found in limited numbers at all of our stores.

Sugar_Cane_AWA_AI_Natural_Indigo_13oz_Su

Sugar_Cane_AWA-AI_Sugar_Cane_Fiber_Blend

5 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

The AWA-Ai, Edo-Ai and the new SC42021 share basically the same cut, only the different shrinkage of the fabric explains the difference in sizes?

That is correct!  

On 5/25/2021 at 10:52 AM, kiya said:

Rick Owens for Self Edge 16oz Indigo Black-Waxed Detroit jeans

The Rick Owens for Self Edge 16oz Indigo Black-Waxed Detroit jeans, they’re here. This is an all new denim developed exclusively for Self Edge in the Made in Japan version of Rick Owens’ Detroit fit as part of their PHLEGETHON SS21 season. We’re all familiar with black overdyed jeans, where the denim starts as indigo and is overdyed (aka, garment dyed) black for a unique washed out black denim which ages over time to become an interesting combination of black and indigo with wear. With this new release the fabric starts off as a heavy 16oz Japanese selvedge indigo denim which has been heat treated with a special black garment wax to give the fabric the appearance of a black denim. With wear as the wax wears off the jean will reveal the indigo denim beneath the wax in places of hard wear; this wear happens far faster on a waxed jean than an overdyed jean. We love the way these turned out, and are excited to offer this jean in what we think is the most versatile jean silhouette Rick Owens produces. We’re looking forward to further exploring the possibilities of this type of “overdying” as it’s an eco-friendly way to turn an indigo blue denim into black.

This Rick Owens release is exclusive to Self Edge and is a continuation of the first capsule which was released in the fall of 2019 as part of the LARRY collection. You can find these new Indigo Black-Waxed jeans at all stores and online now.

Shop Rick Owens Online

Really love the look of this denim, but worried about the fit.  Are these going to be too skinny for a 45 year old man who lifts weights?

53 minutes ago, owlofminerva said:

Really love the look of this denim, but worried about the fit.  Are these going to be too skinny for a 45 year old man who lifts weights?

Definitely not, the Detroit fit isn't even considered a very slim fit.  The Detroit is more like a straight leg jean with a medium rise; the upper leg is slightly slimmed down and it has a very small bit of taper.

All Kinds of Warehouse T-Shirts

Warehouse makes some unbelievably nice t-shirts and they’re now available in a few new colors along with some new knit style striped tees.  All are made of a long staple cotton mixed with slub yarns on vintage circular knitting machines for that authentic vintage hand-feel.  Everything is sewn on vintage sewing machines and finished with the highest level of detail.  Yes, they’re that good.

You can now find a wide range of Warehouse’s blank tees with and without pockets, hoodies, and crewneck sweaters at all stores.

Shop Warehouse Online

Warehouse_Slub_Cotton_T-Shirt_Striped_Su
Warehouse_Slub_Cotton_T-Shirt_Striped_Su

Warehouse_Slub_Cotton_T-Shirt_Striped_Of
Warehouse_Slub_Cotton_T-Shirt_Striped_Of

Warehouse_Slub_Cotton_T-Shirt_Oatmeal_Po
Warehouse_Slub_Cotton_T-Shirt_Green_Plai
Warehouse_Slub_Cotton_T_Shirt_White_Plai

On 6/2/2021 at 4:47 PM, kiya said:

That is correct!  

Is the Awa-Ai SC41201 really made from natural indigo? The description of the fabric on Toyo's homepage is a bit unclear. Or is it a mix of natural indigo and synthetic indigo? Although price-wise it would fit into Sugar Cane's natural indigo category.

3 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Is the Awa-Ai SC41201 really made from natural indigo? The description of the fabric on Toyo's homepage is a bit unclear. Or is it a mix of natural indigo and synthetic indigo? Although price-wise it would fit into Sugar Cane's natural indigo category.

Yes, it's really made of natural indigo.