Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

26 minutes ago, dm15 said:

when will there be an iron heart flannel restock?

Iron Heart's flannels are rarely ever remade a second time. But new ones come out all the time, we just received a new one two days ago:

https://www.selfedge.com/shirts?product_id=2466

Iron Heart Super Heavy Flannel & Sugar Cane Vat Dyed Chambray Shirt

We've just received two great shirts from Iron Heart and Sugar Cane.  From Iron Heart we have a new iteration of their popular heavy flannel with a new pattern which uses black as the base of the check pattern.  From Sugar Cane we've received a small run of a new vat dyed chambray shirt with a very unique shade of indigo.

Both of these shirts are available at all stores and online.

Shop Iron Heart Online

Shop Sugar Cane Online

ih_crazy_blk_check_xl_01-680x1025.jpg
ih_crazy_blk_check_xl_05-1025x680.jpg
ih_crazy_blk_check_xl_08-1025x680.jpg

sc_selvedge_chambray_large_01-680x1025.j
sc_selvedge_chambray_large_05-1025x680.j
sc_selvedge_chambray_large_06-1025x680.j

Merz B. Schwanen 2-Thread Black T-Shirts, Underwear, and Crewneck Sweaters

Our favorite loopwheeled basics brand comes through this week with some solid releases for the fall season.  We have Merz B. Schwanen's popular 2-thread t-shirts available now in black, in both plain and pocket versions.  We also have their loopwheeled underwear available in three colors and crewneck sweaters in gray and oatmeal.

5 hours ago, Radiohead89 said:

Any plans for a dare I say it... Self Edge X Studio D'Artisan 40th anniversary collaboration jean?

No, sorry... we only do collaborations if the brand has the time and resources to produce a new denim for the collab, no point in just slapping our name on an existing fabric and calling It a collab, and SDA has its hands full with their 40th anniversary collection.  

We do have a few special things in the works with them currently, but not a collaboration jean.

Edited by kiya

The Self Edge Online Warehouse Sale

Every now and then we do a warehouse clearing session across all of our stores.  We have past season items from nearly every brand we carry.. everything from jeans, shirts, jackets, and more.

All items are marked down 30% to 70% off.  Everything being sold is in new/unworn condition and prices will be reduced every week or two until everything is gone.  All sales are final and discounts are not available for past sales.

Our Warehouse Sale can be accessed by clicking here.

New Eyewear from Masahiro Maruyama & Globe Specs

This week we have three eyewear releases from Masahiro Maruyama and Globe Specs.  All three are made of Japanese titanium and come with tinted Carl Zeiss lenses, with each frame's lens colors matching the frame to the designer's specifications.  

All three of these frames are quite unique and the attention to detail in both design and material finish is top notch.

These are available now at all 5 of our stores and online.

Shop Masahiro Maruyama Online

Shop Globe Specs Online

mm_0038_no3_01-681x1025.jpg
mm_0038_no3_02-1025x680.jpg
mm_0038_no3_03-1025x680.jpg
mm_0038_no3_04-1025x680.jpg
mm_0038_no3_05-1025x680.jpg
mm_0038_no3_06-1025x680.jpg

globespecs_bob_01-681x1025.jpg
globespecs_bob_02-1025x680.jpg
globespecs_bob_03-1025x680.jpg
globespecs_bob_04-1025x680.jpg
globespecs_bob_05-1025x680.jpg

globespecs_alex_01-681x1025.jpg
globespecs_alex_02-1025x680.jpg
globespecs_alex_03-1025x680.jpg
globespecs_alex_04-1025x680.jpg

Introducing Rick Owens - The Made in Japan Denim Collection

We're proud to introduce Rick Owens into our stable of lines at Self Edge.  We've been working with the Rick Owens team over the past two years as they've developed their first ever made in Japan line of denim based garments.  This collection marks the first time Rick Owens has produced a part of his collection outside of his own factories in Italy.

This collection includes a slim cut jean and a denim jacket, both with slight detail changes giving them a little twist from your average 5-pocket jean (this one has 6..) and your average Type I/II/III denim jacket.  

The jeans and jacket are made of a 13.75oz raw Japanese selvedge which has a pure-indigo rope dyed warp and a natural weft.  There is also a black warp and natural weft jean which has been treated with a black wax for a very unique feel and sheen.  

Along with these jeans and jackets we have the Rick Owens "Gimp" hoodie.  All of these items are available now at all Self Edge stores and online.

Shop Rick Owens Online

ro_detroit_indigo_33_01-680x1025.jpg
ro_detroit_indigo_33_03-1025x680.jpg
ro_detroit_indigo_33_04-1025x680.jpg
ro_detroit_indigo_33_06-1025x680.jpg
ro_detroit_indigo_33_07-1025x680.jpg
ro_detroit_indigo_33_12-1025x680.jpg
ro_detroit_indigo_33_13-1025x680.jpg

ro_detroit_waxed_33_01-680x1025.jpg
ro_detroit_waxed_33_03-1025x680.jpg
ro_detroit_waxed_33_04-1025x680.jpg
ro_detroit_waxed_33_05-1025x680.jpg
ro_detroit_waxed_33_06-1025x680.jpg
ro_detroit_waxed_33_07-1025x680.jpg
ro_detroit_waxed_33_13-1025x680.jpg

ro_workman_jkt_large_01-680x1025.jpg
ro_workman_jkt_large_03-1025x680.jpg
ro_workman_jkt_large_04-1025x680.jpg
ro_workman_jkt_large_07-1025x680.jpg
ro_workman_jkt_large_09-1025x680.jpg

ro_gimp_hoodie_large_01-680x1025.jpg
ro_gimp_hoodie_large_06-1025x680.jpg
ro_gimp_hoodie_large_07-1025x680.jpg
ro_gimp_hoodie_large_09-1025x680.jpg
ro_gimp_hoodie_large_11-1025x680.jpg

47 minutes ago, Josh'N'Roll said:

C'mon, I want to see that hoody zipped up over the model's face.

Here's one of my guys from SENY having some fun...

IMG_6139.jpg

Edited by kiya

Nope, not for me. Too Fashion Forward, too gimmicky, too band wagon-y, too trendy. Not to mention absurdly expensive. I appreciate the attempt to make a new style denim jacket though, as I think Type I, II & III are somewhat stale. Maybe this stuff will appeal to the folks on the Urban Tech Wear forum. 

2 hours ago, mpukas said:

Nope, not for me. Too Fashion Forward, too gimmicky, too band wagon-y, too trendy. Not to mention absurdly expensive. I appreciate the attempt to make a new style denim jacket though, as I think Type I, II & III are somewhat stale. Maybe this stuff will appeal to the folks on the Urban Tech Wear forum. 

I think that jacket isn't any of those things - it is a new spin but lands squarely in the traditional column as it goes to fits. The only non-traditional detail is the lack of chest pockets, which cleans up the lines of the jacket but otherwise, it's hardly trendy.

The hoodie is definitely the most "out there" piece but every other article isn't too far afield from what other Japanese companies are doing. But to your point - if you like traditional aesthetics, there are other, cheaper options. Still, I'm feeling this collection more than I thought I would for sure.

Edited by jake431
mispelling

Yeah, gotta ask: what's the value proposition there? Can you, in honesty, recommend those jeans to your customers over alternatives that cost half as much and are made by actual all-in jeans brands?

Not concerned with these being too "out there", personally, just with them being expensive purely for the sake of being expensive—something that, at least in recent post-Dior post-APC years, the community has seemed to do an okay job of staying away from.

11 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Yeah, gotta ask: what's the value proposition there? Can you, in honesty, recommend those jeans to your customers over alternatives that cost half as much and are made by actual all-in jeans brands?

For a client such as yourself it 100% would not be something we would try to sell you on when you visit our store.  We have a pretty good understanding of who would be into this type of product, and the reasons behind their interest, and would never try to sway a client into trying to pay that much for jeans when we know they'd be just as happy in a pair of $200 Sugar Cane jeans or a pair of $300 Stevenson jeans.

Edited by kiya

Far enough. Can you maybe shed some light on how you might sell them if someone walked into your store who you did mark as being potentially into that sort of thing? Even outside of the context of jeans hobbyists (or whatever you want to call the sort of folks who hang around SuFu), what are the justifications for a markup of that scale / what are the selling points that you might hit on?

14 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Far enough. Can you maybe shed some light on how you might sell them if someone walked into your store who you did mark as being potentially into that sort of thing? Even outside of the context of jeans hobbyists (or whatever you want to call the sort of folks who hang around SuFu), what are the justifications for a markup of that scale / what are the selling points that you might hit on?

I would love to go over all this with you in person, want to meet at the SF store in a few weeks when I'm back in SF?  DM or email me.

Edited by kiya

3 minutes ago, chambo2008 said:

lol, just saw the prices :ph34r2:

The prices are veeeeerrryyy nice.

The prices are really high for people who really aren't the target customers. Simple as that. I periodically buy stuff in my price range from familiar brands (orslow, engineer garments, gitman) from a retailer that also sells maison margiela, junya watanabe, raf simons, etc. It's pretty clear that the retailer imagines and tries to meet the interests of a pretty heterogenous range of customers, rather than a homogenous one. If they keep selling stuff I'm into and care to afford, then I remain a happy customer who's nonetheless morbidly curious about who's buying the premium priced stuff.   

I think it looks kinda cool. Not really my sort of thing, but I think it's fun to see SE branch out into something outside the norm, denim-wise. I think having additional (especially hidden!) pockets on jeans is a great idea. I've always loved the idea of a low-key, stealth phone pocket on the side of the thigh or something like that.

The main problem would seem to be that techninja type guys who are into Rick Owens would scoff at the idea of wearing denim to begin with. On the other hand, I admit that I don't know that community at all and have no particular interest in techwear or high fashion designer stuff.

2 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

The main problem would seem to be that techninja type guys who are into Rick Owens would scoff at the idea of wearing denim to begin with. 

For the record.. Rick Owens has been making jeans, denim jackets, denim CPO shirts, and more for 20 years now.  Many of those items were made using original denim fabric styles.  This is just the first time he's made those things out of Japanese selvedge and had it cut/sewn in Japan and offered it in its raw state.

EDIT: He's actually made garments out of Japanese selvedge in the past which was cut/sewn in his own factories in Italy, but none of the garments were offered as "raw denim" and the production techniques were more aligned with high-end fashion brands as opposed to Japanese denim brands.

From a retailers perspective, if people visit your shop (bricks & mortar or online) primarily because they like Rick Owens (or similar brands) and they see garments from other brands (SDA, Sugar Cane, Mister Freedom, etc) and think “Wowza! These look better for less $$$” and buy them instead - well, you haven’t lost anything. You’ve made a sale and introduced a new customer to the brands that we all (on Sufu/denim/goodstuff, anyway) know and love. If not, they’ll just buy the Rick stuff anyway and you’re still quids in. WIN-WIN!!!

Edited by Maynard Friedman
you’re

This stuff looks cool, and I'm glad Self Edge is doing it, and I'll likely never buy it. But whatever, I'm sure I'm also not the target market. I'd love to hear more about the analysis that goes into bringing in a brand like this to a store like Self Edge. It seems like Rick Owens has a rabid following, and there's not a lot of overlap between those people and your average Self Edge customer, or at least that's my understanding. Streetwear and denim overlap, so perhaps this is streetwear + high fashion + denim, hanging out and being expensive and awesome?

18 minutes ago, CityPickin' said:

This stuff looks cool, and I'm glad Self Edge is doing it, and I'll likely never buy it. But whatever, I'm sure I'm also not the target market. I'd love to hear more about the analysis that goes into bringing in a brand like this to a store like Self Edge. It seems like Rick Owens has a rabid following, and there's not a lot of overlap between those people and your average Self Edge customer, or at least that's my understanding. Streetwear and denim overlap, so perhaps this is streetwear + high fashion + denim, hanging out and being expensive and awesome?

Thanks, I'm glad you like the way the initial collection looks!

There is no formal analysis done behind the scenes before we pick up a new label for our stores.  If I'm into the brand, like what they do, and in my mind I can envision it in our five stores, then I would try to meet with the brand and see what a relationship between us would look like.  We pick up lines because I'm into them and truly believe in their vision and the product.  If we were only concerned with growing our sales numbers you wouldn't be seeing us pick up the last 4 or 5 lines we've picked up, instead we would have picked up brands like Oni, Tanuki, Momotaro, etc..

As long as I am doing the creative and buying for Self Edge we'll continue to buy interesting things, at the highest quality we available to us, while making sure that it challenges both us and our client base, because if you want comfort in brands or clothing, Self Edge was never really the place for that.

Edited by kiya