Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

Anyone know how those chinos fit compared to the Stevenson 714's? My 714 in a w33 are prob a perfect fit on myself.

The chinos are definitely slimmer throughout than the 714 fit.  If you go up to a 34 in the chinos they'll fit you but will be a little slimmer than the 714 jeans you own.

Dang. Will you guys carry that kakishibu pair? Broark speaks the truth, those are seriously good looking. 

Yup, we bought 50% of the entire run and we'll have all three styles.

Hey Kiya are the new Strike Gold collabs a limited one-time run thing or are they going to be a staple carry for you guys?  My Flat Heads still have some life left in them but I'm wondering if I should buy the Strike Golds and just stash them away or if they'll be available in like 6 months.

Hey Kiya are the new Strike Gold collabs a limited one-time run thing or are they going to be a staple carry for you guys?  My Flat Heads still have some life left in them but I'm wondering if I should buy the Strike Golds and just stash them away or if they'll be available in like 6 months.

All the collaborations we do are limited to the initial number produced and are never remade, so only one run of these are being made.

@Kiya - when will you post info re: specs, cost? 

All that will go up August 3rd on our site (and here).

Toyo's Whitesville Japanese Made T-Shirts & Rugged Road Aizome Dyed Vintage Scarves

Toyo, the company behind Sugar Cane, Buzz Rickson, Mister Freedom, and Sun Surf has been making some pretty amazing t-shirts for quite some time.  We're finally able to stock these at all of our stores and they're available now as 2-packs and come in three colors.

Along with these new Whitesville tees we've also gotten our hands on some vintage aizome dyed scarves.  Aizome is the original indigo dying technique from the 17th century in Japan.  Some have been lightly patched and they come in a variety of shades, they're absolutely beautiful.  We were able to get about twenty per store and will most likely not be able to restock these once they're gone.

WV_BLACK_01-666x1001.jpg

WV_BLACK_03-1022x682.jpg

WHITESVILLE_GREY_01-472x708.jpg

WHITESVILLE_GREY_03-1022x682.jpg

WV_WHITE_01-717x1078.jpg

WV_WHITE_05-1180x786.jpg

SCARF2%20_01-583x877.jpg

SCARF%203_02-1022x682.jpg

SCARF%203_MAIN-644x751.jpg

SCARF%202%20_02-935x622.jpg

This Saturday, August 6th, is the world premiere of Weaving Shibusa, a film about Japanese denim and the artisans and designers which produce it.  The premiere is being held at the historic Castro Theatre in San Francisco.  Tickets are available now along with Toyoda loom hard enamel pins and the film soundtrack, which was written and performed by SESF’s Young Lee.  

For more information about the film, the premiere, and for full film credits:

Watch the Weaving Shibusa Trailer: 

Following the film there will be an afterparty, location will be announced the night of the premiere.  Hope to see you there!

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-26%20at%203.17.1
Download_card-682x1025.jpg
TOYODA%20PIN_01-683x1027.jpg
TOYODA%20PIN_02-1025x683.jpg
Edited by kiya

Kiya, any word on a NYC showing?

The only place the film is showing as of now is at the SF premiere, no solid plans to show the film anywhere else at this time.  We'll have info on another premieres as they happen.  

The only place the film is showing as of now is at the SF premiere, no solid plans to show the film anywhere else at this time.  We'll have info on another premieres as they happen.  

Any idea if it'll be made available for sale via downlad in the future? Probably no way I'd ever make it to a premiere from Australia 

Any idea if it'll be made available for sale via downlad in the future? Probably no way I'd ever make it to a premiere from Australia 

Not sure at this time, eventually yes, but we're not sure through what services just yet.

I would love to see it if you did an LA premiere but, if it's only available via download in the future I guess that will have to do haha

Same! I would totally go see it in LA! I'm also disappointed because I will be vacationing in San Francisco one weekend this month, but not this weekend :(

Self Edge x Strike Gold = SEXSG24 / Wavy Standard Jeans

With over a year of development, many months of waiting, and the idea that you can still do something new and interesting with denim, we bring you a collaborative jean between Self Edge and Strike Gold.  

After five years of carrying Strike Gold at Self Edge we felt it was time to do a collaborative jean. We designed a denim with them which we found out was not only difficult for them to produce but also took quite a few iterations to get it feeling the way we wanted it to. Yes, feeling.. this denim is all about texture, a texture that will visually come alive with regular wear.

This is a mixed fiber length denim woven on a shuttle loom at a slow speed giving the denim a wavy texture which is not only visual but can also be felt from the inside and outside of the jean.  We've upped the weight a slight bit from what you normally see a denim this loosely woven made at, these clock in at 17oz per square yard.  We've kept Strike Gold's traditional back pocket stitching except it's done in a tonal indigo-dyed thread so they're barely seen when new but over time will become slightly more visible.  The jean is stitched together using a cotton poly-core stitching, this ages like cotton but has the strength of poly.  And finally the deerskin patch is printed with a gold foil stamp to match the selvedge id of the jean.  

These are available in a new straight tapered cut and Strike Gold's popular xxx9 slim tapered cut.  Check our online store for a full spec list, measurements, and more info than you'll ever need for a pair of jeans.

These jeans will go on sale at noon (local time) at all Self Edge stores on Saturday, August 6th.  They will also be available online at 9am (PDT) the same day.

SG%2024%2001-683x1023.jpg

SG_24_12-1022x682.jpg

SG_24_05-1022x682.jpg

SG_24_07-1022x682.jpg

SG_24_11-1022x682.jpg

SG%2024%2009%2001-683x1023.jpg

SG_24-09_11-1022x682.jpg

SG_24-09_12-1022x682.jpg

SG_24-09_08-1022x682.jpg

SG_24-09_07-1022x682.jpg

When SE does a custom hem, do we lose the poly-core at the hem?

I wish the makers of all denim would include a few yards of identical thread with each unit purchased. Enough for hems and/or future repairs.

We use cotton/poly-core for hemming jeans, it looks like cotton but is stronger than cotton.

How fast are these expected to sell out? and any idea of a restock in the future? 

Practically & financially i dont need jeans right now, but emotionally it will be crippling next year when i am ready for a new pair and these aren't available 

How fast are these expected to sell out? and any idea of a restock in the future? 

Practically & financially i dont need jeans right now, but emotionally it will be crippling next year when i am ready for a new pair and these aren't available 

I believe these are going to sell quite fast, but we did a larger than usual run of them.  They will not be remade, and half the run has been sent to all stores with the remaining half coming in about a week.

Quick now, only 4 hours left to decide.

These look pants touching fun, very tempting.

^ whats the shirt Josh is wearing?

A new Studio D'Artisan indigo-dyed dobby shirt.  It's at all stores now, hitting the online store in a week or so.

Sugar Cane and Star of Hollywood Summer Shirts and Belt & Jean restocks!

A large shipment of summer shirts have just arrived from Sugar Cane and Star of Hollywood including some standout t-shirts and a natural indigo hank-dyed shirt.

Along with all these new shirts we've received a full restock of Sugar Cane belts in both black and tan, all jean models, Whitesville T-Shirts, and washed indigo-dyed watch caps.

Shop Sugar Cane Online

SC_NATURAL_01-682x1022.jpg

SC_NATURAL_05-1022x682.jpg

SC_NATURAL_07-1022x682.jpg

SC_PINSTRIPE_01-680x1022.jpg

SC_PINSTRIPE_06-1022x680.jpg

SC_CREME_01-682x1022.jpg

SC_CREME_05-1022x682.jpg

SC_CREME_07-1022x682.jpg

SC_TEE2_001-682x1022.jpg

SC_TEE2_009-1022x682.jpg