Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

Kiya, can the SC2013 be described as slack weave? I'm looking for something for our 90 degree plus 100% humidity days here in New Orleans summers.

It's extremely light and breathable, it's as comfortable as they come even in extreme heat.

Everything looks great on the Roy's besides the super high rise. I don't think I've ever had a pair of jeans within 1.4 inches of 12.4 on the rise. I'm not sure how they would look on someone 5"10. Maybe next time.

We just got a restock of these and have all sizes now.

!

Including sela?

Yup, the only size missing at SELA is 31.

Well I guess I'll go ahead and ask, what's the next Roy release?

I just want a pair of his jeans haha.

Have you called sela, seny, and sepdx?  Just because the online store is out doesn't mean that you're screwed.

Yeah I'm pretty set when it comes to denim, the cut just looked really great on this release and I've always wanted to try a pair of Roy's jeans.

I think I'm going to just focus on my 633s for now, gonna try to tough it out in the Texas summer.

I didnt even wake up in time to get that, I guess thats good since I have HWDC to focus on.

finally warm enough to wear the SOC indigo chinos, so nice.

this put into mind somewhat randomly so I'll ask - does anybody know of an indigo dyed blazer worth having?  sorry to threadjack, i only mention this here because the regular contributors here know their stuff and selfedge would never stock such a thing in a jillion billion years.

Any plans on restocking Flathead 3012's? If not, is there anything with similar dimensions?

We'll have a restock of those on June 1st.

Kiya, does Strike Gold make a size 38 in any of there jeans? I really want a pair of SG so bad.

They do, but not the models that they've gone into making out of the newer denim because they're only producing the xxx9 and xxx5 cuts and they only go up to 36.

We have SG 1XXX, 2XXX, 3XXX and 5XXX. Is there a 4XXX denim in development?

Not at the current moment, no.

Strike Gold Super Short Slub Weft Jeans & Brushed Flannel Shirts

While in Japan at the end of 2013 we saw a denim that excited us more than nearly any other new denim we'd seen in well over a year.  It was at a meeting with Strike Gold at which they brought us a sample of the fabric to see; since that meeting we couldn't wait to get the jean into our stores.  It's been a long six month wait since then and we've finally got a small run of these jeans available at our stores.

With the new 5105 (slim straight) and 5109 (slim tapered) models Strike Gold have produced a 15oz unsanforized denim made of pure indigo warp threads and a light gray weft thread.  The denim is very interesting because they used a super short slub cotton for the weft threads. This is a cotton staple so short we believe it's shorter than the sugar cane fibers used in Sugar Cane's famed Okinawa and Hawaii jeans, except those use a slub fiber (sugar cane) in the warp and weft of the denim.  Using a cotton staple this short is tricky when producing a fabric that should be rugged and somewhat heavy in weight because the yarns need to be spun at a far slower pace and therefore increasing the risk of the shuttle yarn (aka, the weft thread) snapping far more often than it already does.  The slow spinning of the thread should not be confused with the tension or speed of a loom, spinning of yarns is a process which happens far before any loom is involved in making a fabric.  All this work results in a denim that looks like no denim we've seen before.  The process used gives the denim an extremely uneven texture, but not necessarily slubby looking.  Our best description is that at a 45 degree angle it can be compared closely to a vintage hand-woven Persian rug, but not so much that most people wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference outside of the deeper color.  The jean looks like an indigo colored denim but has a deeper blue hue from the weft threads peaking through the indigo warp threads.  It's a jean like this which reminds us that we haven't seen it all, yet.

Along with these two new jeans we've received two new brushed flannels, available in red or yellow.  If you're local to one of our four stores do yourself a favor and come by just to see this new denim in person.
Both jeans and flannels along with a restock of the 3105/3109 jeans and belts in both colors are available now at all Self Edge stores and in our online store.

SG+_5105_01.jpg
SG+_5109_01.jpg
SG+_5109_03.jpg
SG+_5109_04.jpg
SG+_5109_05.jpg
SG+_5109_06.jpg
SG_RED_01.jpg
SG_RED_04.jpg
SG_YLW_01.jpg
SG_YLW_04.jpg

They do, but not the models that they've gone into making out of the newer denim because they're only producing the xxx9 and xxx5 cuts and they only go up to 36.

Sorry, please remove post if possible.

Edited by n8iveguy

Do you know where I could find a 38 to buy online? And also any recommendations on what cut from the older stuff would be best to look at?

We've found their other cuts to be a bit wonky, we used to carry all them at one point and then just kept the two we have now and they fit very well.  Even SG may not be into the older cuts because all their new fabrics only come in the straight slim and slim tapered fits.

a lot of cool stuff at SE at the moment, trying to decide if i want a 5105 or a sc 2013, hm..

can't go wrong with either but i'd go for the 5105. that fabric is insane and the details are great. definitely one of my favorite jeans in a while. 

a lot of cool stuff at SE at the moment, trying to decide if i want a 5105 or a sc 2013, hm..

I'll second Young, 5105. OR Stevenson 727/767 if you want to roll with the SE outlaws. Seriously unsung heroes.