Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

Hey Kiya, 

Looking for some confirmation/advice on sizing the SEXIH22TypeIII jacket. I have the SEXIH07IIIBK in a size 46. I'm able to wear a hoodie under the BK without any trouble.

Would a 44 in the IH22 work after shrinking? Do you know how much shrink people have been getting with a cold soak?

Thanks!

If you're going to cold soak it get the 44, if you're going to hot soak it and/or wash it often get the 46 because they run true to size and shrink down almost an entire size.

If you're going to cold soak it get the 44, if you're going to hot soak it and/or wash it often get the 46 because they run true to size and shrink down almost an entire size.

Would I be able to shrink the 46 enough to fit pretty close to the BK size 46 I have? The chest measurement is the only one that makes me a little nervous on the 44. If I measure my BK from pit to pit (including the extra material from the back of the jacket when it's flat) I get about 23.75" (47.5"). From the 'How we measure' picture on your site it looks like the measurements might just be from side seam to side seam (not taking into account the extra material from the back).

Would I be able to shrink the 46 enough to fit pretty close to the BK size 46 I have? The chest measurement is the only one that makes me a little nervous on the 44. If I measure my BK from pit to pit (including the extra material from the back of the jacket when it's flat) I get about 23.75" (47.5"). From the 'How we measure' picture on your site it looks like the measurements might just be from side seam to side seam (not taking into account the extra material from the back).

Yes, hot soaking the jacket twice will get it very close to the over dyed one which you currently own.

I have one of the 44's Segovia --  love the thing.  Can't give you the exact measurements but I cold soaked it for 12 minutes and it didn't shrink a whole lot.  Of course, had I hot soaked for an hour, the outcome would have been different.  For what it's worth (not much, I know!), I'm 6'0", just under 180 pounds -- large chest and average torso and sleeve length.  Fit is great in the chest.

John

Question:

Bought a pair of Iron Heart 301-S size 29 a bit ago, and I intentionally sized down as I like my jeans pretty skinny (I was looking to go slim after the se05bsp's, which I love but I was ready for something skinnier) and the sales rep who I was talking to said that the jeans would start to stretch out to ~31", which is about my waist size. Thus far at about 30-40 wears I haven't experienced much of that stretch, and I'm wondering if they typically take a bit longer than normal due to their weight, or if I should cut my losses, sell them and go for a different size/pair? For reference, I wear a 32 in the FHxSE05BSP, and they fit me a tad loosely at this point.

Thanks!   

Edited by spudboyblues

Kiya, which of the items from the Mister Freedom Sportsman SS14 collection are you planning to carry?

We just got the new Californian jeans and the madras shirt and will be getting the new chambray next month.

Question:

Bought a pair of Iron Heart 301-S size 29 a bit ago, and I intentionally sized down as I like my jeans pretty skinny (I was looking to go slim after the se05bsp's, which I love but I was ready for something skinnier) and the sales rep who I was talking to said that the jeans would start to stretch out to ~31", which is about my waist size. Thus far at about 30-40 wears I haven't experienced much of that stretch, and I'm wondering if they typically take a bit longer than normal due to their weight, or if I should cut my losses, sell them and go for a different size/pair? For reference, I wear a 32 in the FHxSE05BSP, and they fit me a tad loosely at this point.

Thanks!   

If you were a 32 in the SE05BSP you'd be a 32 in the 301s, i would sell them and get a bigger size.  I don't recommend sizing down three on a jean that slim.

Mister Freedom Indian Madras Summer Shirts & Lot 64 Californian Jeans

We've received the first shipment of Mister Freedom's 2014 collection in the form of an Indian Madras shirt and a new version of their popular "Californian" series of jeans.

The madras shirt is a perfect summer weight fabric that breathes well with all the details you'd expect from Mister Freedom including custom cast buttons, chainstitch side seam run-off, shoulder pleat accents, and a great fit.  

The new version of the Californian jean brings a slightly modified fit and the details throughout the jean have been changed including a cool new "patch".  These have turned into a staple for us at the shops, they're great fitting jeans with Mister Freedom's iconic accents.

The madras shirts and denim jeans are available now at all Self Edge stores and in our online store.  Check the online store for full measurements, spec lists, and high-res photographs.

MF_SHIRT_01.jpg

MF_SHIRT_04.jpg

MF_SHIRT_03.jpg

MF_CALI_01.jpg

MF_CALI_03.jpg

MF_CALI_04.jpg

MF_CALI_05.jpg

Kiya - are you gonna do another IH Type III jacket with blanket lining for the fall? 

I love the blanket lined rider's jacket, I only wish it were 2" longer so you could wear an untucked shirt without it showing... A blanket lined, super black w/ contrasting stitching 2" longer version would be sweet, I think...

The GF and I taking a road trip to CA at the end of April. We'll be in LA the weekend of the 25th-28th and SE is on this must do list. 

Kiya - are you gonna do another IH Type III jacket with blanket lining for the fall? 

I love the blanket lined rider's jacket, I only wish it were 2" longer so you could wear an untucked shirt without it showing... A blanket lined, super black w/ contrasting stitching 2" longer version would be sweet, I think...

The GF and I taking a road trip to CA at the end of April. We'll be in LA the weekend of the 25th-28th and SE is on this must do list. 

There are no plans to do another lined Type III, but it's also a bit early to put things into production for the winter season.  

Glad you're able to make it out to SELA, it's our biggest store and the area we're in has a lot of other great shops to visit.

Maybe we can make it happen denihlist, I'd love to help 'em out to open it. I work at a menswear place here now and we really need a good shop in town...nothing quite up the SE standards.

Yellow Rat's 2014 Summer Collection

From the Japanese surf legend's new collection we have a set of new short sleeve shirts and t-shirts just in time for the warmer months. 

First up is a new chambray pull-over with vented side seams, a few buttons down the chest, and a casual unstructured collar.  This is a new version of a shirt we had from Yellow Rat a couple of years ago and we're glad to see it redone for this season.

Next up we have a Japanese madras short sleeve shirt with a super casual summer style, get into it.

Last year we received these border striped tees from Yellow Rat and didn't realize they were going to sell as fast as they did.  We urged them to redo them this for this season and they remade the tees in navy and blue.  These are custom t-shirt bodies made for Yellow Rat which are then screened with a thin water based ink.  

All four of these items are available now at all Self Edge stores and in our online store.  Check the product pages for more info, measurements, and high-res photographs.

YR_01.jpg

YR_04.jpg

YR_FLANNEL_01.jpg

YR_FLANNEL_05.jpg

YR_BLUE001.JPG

YR_BLUE001_03.JPG

YR_TEE_01.jpg

YR_TEE_01_03.jpg

What size is Josh wearing in the pull over?

Yup, he's wearing a small.  

Tip: If you look to see what size was photographed in the close-ups about 95% of the time that's the same size Josh is wearing.

Is it fair to say they're cut a bit generous? I usually wear a large in most things, but the measurements on the medium looks like it would fit.

Yeah, sizing down one would be a good idea on this one.

Hey Kiya - Do you have this shirt in stock at SESF and in what sizes?  

I'm really not sure what size I need (if any of them will even fit) as the measurement chart is blowing my mind.  I measured a Jcrew M shirt I have that fits well and I got 44.5'' for chest and 18'' for shoulders.  Based on the SE measurements, none of the sizes would really work.

I really love the shirt, so I'm hoping to drop into SESF this weekend or next weekend to at least try it on as long as you have it in stock.

Hey Kiya - Do you have this shirt in stock at SESF and in what sizes?  

I'm really not sure what size I need (if any of them will even fit) as the measurement chart is blowing my mind.  I measured a Jcrew M shirt I have that fits well and I got 44.5'' for chest and 18'' for shoulders.  Based on the SE measurements, none of the sizes would really work.

I really love the shirt, so I'm hoping to drop into SESF this weekend or next weekend to at least try it on as long as you have it in stock.

We're out of the 46 at all stores but we do have size 44 in the online store and one at SESF now.  

I believe if you want a slim fit the 44 would work for you, if cold washed and line dried shrinkage is minimal on these shirts.

Edited by kiya

Kiya,

Any chance we will see a restock of the Sugar Cane Hawaii and Okinowas soon? I'm looking for 34 or 36 in each as I'm not sure of my size and which fit I'd prefer.

I usually hit up SENY but I'll be in SF and PDX in May so I could try them there as well.

Any other lighter weight/summer jeans you would recommend in a straight fit (currently loving my SG3105)? Just looking for something that is a bit lighter than the 17oz I'm currently wearing.

Kiya,

Any chance we will see a restock of the Sugar Cane Hawaii and Okinowas soon? I'm looking for 34 or 36 in each as I'm not sure of my size and which fit I'd prefer.

I usually hit up SENY but I'll be in SF and PDX in May so I could try them there as well.

Any other lighter weight/summer jeans you would recommend in a straight fit (currently loving my SG3105)? Just looking for something that is a bit lighter than the 17oz I'm currently wearing.

All stores are getting a full Sugar Cane restock April 1st, that includes the online store.

At SENY currently we actually have both of those jeans in both of those sizes now.  I would get one of those or check out Stevenson's jeans.

All stores are getting a full Sugar Cane restock April 1st, that includes the online store.

At SENY currently we actually have both of those jeans in both of those sizes now.  I would get one of those or check out Stevenson's jeans.

Thanks!

Will that SC restock include the Star of Hollywood Kasuri Polo as well?

Will that SC restock include the Star of Hollywood Kasuri Polo as well?

No SoH (or any Toyo products) are ever restocked, they're cut for one season and rarely remade or restocked.