Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

Will those John Lofgren tees that you posted a picture of on Instagram be on the website Kiya?

Yup, we'll have them and 5 different caps available on November 1st on our site.

Hey Kiya i dropped off a pair of flat head 3009s at the SF store to get hemmed last tuesday, and then to be shipped to me after being finished. The guy that did my transaction told me he would give me a call when they were ready. Yesterday i called asking them not to be shipped, no answer so i left a message. After not being called back i called again today and asked to pick them up when i dropped of my samurais to be repaired. He told me that they were shipped and tracking said they arrived on the 16th at 130pm.  I do not get home till after 6 M-F. Someone swiped the package off the my porch , i called USPS and they said they could not do anything because the receipt is not in my name, nor the same shipping address. That being said, i knew i worked late and was expecting a call upon completion of the hem job to make arrangements. Is there anything that you guys can do or i am SOL?

Darn-It, the studio that we own that does all of SESF's work isn't inside the store, so once the jeans leave with a shipping tags its not the simplest thing for us to be able to pull it before your jean is mailed out to you because its mailed to you the second the jeans are done.  Email us and we can figure out the USPS situation.

Yup, we'll have them and 5 different caps available on November 1st on our site.

Darn-It, the studio that we own that does all of SESF's work isn't inside the store, so once the jeans leave with a shipping tags its not the simplest thing for us to be able to pull it before your jean is mailed out to you because its mailed to you the second the jeans are done.  Email us and we can figure out the USPS situation.

Thanks---- will do 

Kiya, could you expand on the use of the term 'deeptone' in relation to Roy's new jeans?

Is it used to describe a particular kind of denim, or a specific period of production? I'm completely ignorant but would love to hear more.

Up until the early 1930's denim (as a fabric) was designed to be worn as workwear.  In the early 30's Cone had the brilliant idea of designing a new fabric which would appeal to the average person, someone who wouldn't be wearing the jeans or jackets doing manual labor.  

In 1936 they introduced "Deeptone" denim, a smoother fabric that was less "burly" looking with a deeper indigo shade.  This had no bearing on weight, it was more of a feel and look than a durability/weight change.  You can say that it was the first time any major company in the world had tried to market a traditional workwear garment or fabric to the non-manual labor communities.  This denim which was developed for Roy for the new CB-1 jean was developed to be very close to the original "Deeptone" fabrics used starting the late 30's.  

cone-deeptone-denim-71551089.jpg

Edited by kiya

I think you will find the Duck-1 came out before the SF-01, but what the hell!

Roy rocks but I don't think these are for me.

You are correct...my mistake probably stems from the fact that the Duck-1 actually was around in sizes still when the SF-01 released and sold out almost immediately, and I still don't know why the hell I didn't buy them.

That is correct, if you get the same size and soak them you should have a hair more room.  

Also, you can always control how big the waist is going to be with the temperature of the water and the length of time the jean spends in the water.  A ten minute cold water soak isn't going to shrink the jean as much as a 45 minute hot water soak.  By the time you get around to washing the jean it won't matter much if you cold or hot soaked the jean with the exception of losing another ~1" in length if you cold soaked them.

Thanks, Kiya,

Do you know if the amount that this new denim stretches vs. the denim on the SF-01 is similar? The 14.5 oz denim doesn't seem to give much in the waist.

Thanks.

Thanks, Kiya,

Do you know if the amount that this new denim stretches vs. the denim on the SF-01 is similar? The 14.5 oz denim doesn't seem to give much in the waist.

Thanks.

It's a new fabric so we can only assume stretching, we'd say about the same as the SF-01.  What determines stretching the most is how tight the jean is, if the jean isn't super tight you won't get much stretching in the fabric.

Kiya, 

Any plans for SE to carry the new IH-666S-UHR and IH-634S-UHR 21/23oz cuts?

Yup, we should have them when they come out next year.

Kiya,

Do you load your chainstitch machines with a single type/color of thread for all jeans, or do you switch it out for each pair to match the original hem color?  I was under the impression that union specials are difficult to thread, so I'm guessing it is probably the former. 

I picked up my Roy jeans today from being hemmed and your guys at SENY did an awesome job.  The stitches are super tight and I think the hem looks as good if not better than if Roy had done it himself.

Kiya,

Do you load your chainstitch machines with a single type/color of thread for all jeans, or do you switch it out for each pair to match the original hem color?  I was under the impression that union specials are difficult to thread, so I'm guessing it is probably the former. 

I picked up my Roy jeans today from being hemmed and your guys at SENY did an awesome job.  The stitches are super tight and I think the hem looks as good if not better than if Roy had done it himself.

Glad you like the hem we did in NY.  The machines aren't the easiest thing to rethread so we use a few different shades of goldenrod/yellow and one type of black.   We do our best to match what the jean came with but it would be impossible to get the exact shade on every pair because we'd be rethreading the machine for every jean and we'd have to charge far more for the hem due to the time it takes.

Thanks Kiya.  Is the thread you use 100% cotton or a cotton/poly blend?

We use cotton wrapped poly for hems and for repairs we use a combination of cotton and cotton/poly Tex80 and Tex60 yarn which is made for us in North Carolina.

New Flat Head Fall/Winter Shirts, Tees, Socks, & More

A super-duper hot shipment of new shirts, tees, socks, and more just showed up from Flat Head. 

First up we've got a short sleeve black shirt with a discharge print that is a spaced out paisley pattern.  Spaced out as in the pattern is sparse, not spaced out like PJ O'Rourke in the 70's.

The fastest selling shirt we stocked this past spring was Flat Head's indigo dyed linen short sleeve.  We now have the long sleeve version of the same shirt so that now you can get them honeycombs with your elbow flexes. 

We've also received a full restock of blank Flat Head tees available in three colors.  This is our first time stocking the white versions of these tees due to receiving many requests for this color. 

Japanese companies are very good at taking the normal and making it so intense that you wonder how you ever lived with the pedestrian version.  Flat Head has done with with their new heavy winter merino wool socks, folded in half they sit about three times as high as our next heaviest sock.  They're super soft and are sure to last longer than your current socks; these are available now in both navy/black or olive/black striped versions.

Along with these new items we've gotten full restocks of Flat Head's belts, cordovan card cases, Wild Child wallets, and all jean models.  Check the online store for spec lists, measurements, and more.

FH_BLK_01.jpg

FH_BLK_06.jpg

FH_BLK_06.jpg

FH_NAVY_01.jpg

FH_NAVY_04.jpg

FH_NAVY_06.jpg

FH_SOCKS_03.jpg

FH_SOCKS_05.jpg

Didn't take long to sell out of the winter flannel workshirt in bigger sizes. 

We're getting more of that one in late November.

If I'm a medium in Strike Gold's blank t-shirts and hoodies, what size would I be in your Flat Head's t-shirt if I don't want to go any slimmer than the SG fit?

I would get a 40 in all FH tees.

how does the fit of the new roy jean compare with the rs04 in the same size?  

The leg is going to be slimmer through-out the jean, not super slim just not as room as the RS04 was.

Thanks to Kiya and the gentlemen at SelfedgeSF for working with me about my stolen pair of jeans, I grabbed a pair of 3sixteen+ 34bsp

. Just picked them up, the quality and attention to detail is crazy good. 

IMG_1428_zpsa84b435d.jpg

will take better pictures soon

By "that one" do you mean the forrest green?

Hope so, its a fantastic color and I missed out as well. 

Yup, that's the one.