Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

I know washing in the washer is typically done with jeans inside-out but does that go for bath washes and soaks too? I thought it was mostly to prevent abrasion against the outer indigo.

I'll let you know once they're dry occupant. I asked for a 35" hem so I'm hoping for a 33" leg, though I can do a 32 too.

Cadence - Yes I believe the main advantage is to guard against abrasion, but I do it when soaking so I have easy access to the pockets; it's bloody annoying to really squeeze them dry otherwise.

Hi Kiya, can you please recommend some jeans for men with bigger thighs but still some taper?  I recently bought a pair of 3sixteen+ 30BSP and even sized up 1 was still a bit tight around the inner thighs when I sit down.  Many thanks in advance!

Hi Kiya, can you please recommend some jeans for men with bigger thighs but still some taper?  I recently bought a pair of 3sixteen+ 30BSP and even sized up 1 was still a bit tight around the inner thighs when I sit down.  Many thanks in advance!

If the 30BSP was too tight in the thighs i would look at the Sugar Cane 1947 or Iron Heart 634s.

I'm eagerly awaiting my new SEXDB19s in size 36. What shrinkage is actually happening on a 45 min hot soak? Thanks a lot.

Ok people, got some info now the 2nd soak is complete.

First 45 min hot soak my on my size 34, absolute minimal shrinkage (0.5" inseam).

Second hot soak, lots more shrinkage (1.5"); more shrinkage across the entire denim. After the first soak I had hip flare, which is gone now.

I'll take and post pictures tomorrow when the sun is out as it's night time in Australia right now.

edit: Ok I've got some pretty bad fit pics but better than nothing! I'll post proper sunlight coloured ones in the morning.

DSCN2008_zps2a1e2ccd.jpg

DSCN2009_zps2faa2962.jpg

Edited by Aries

I know washing in the washer is typically done with jeans inside-out but does that go for bath washes and soaks too? I thought it was mostly to prevent abrasion against the outer indigo.

i think you answered your own question. when using a conventional washing machine, the agitation can cause the denim to overbleed, sometimes causing the material to look splotchy in areas that had direct contact with the agitator. turning your jeans inside out reduces this effect, as the inside of the jeans takes all the dircect impact, so to speak. since doing a traditional soak, whether it be in a bathtub, washing machine, bucket, etc. usually warrants little to no agitation, i feel like it doesn't matter if the jeans are inside out or not.

'course, this is just my opinion. i usually soak mine rightside-out, even on the initial soak, and have never noticed a difference in the color pre/post soak. if you're worried about it, though, turning them inside out for a soak certainly won't hurt anything.

Hey Kiya, I heard that SE is going to carry some Ace Boots. Will you be getting their engineer boots? I'd really like to try a pair.

We'll have two oxfords and one engineer boot November 1st at SENY, SEPDX, and in our online store.  For the price they're very very good.

Ok chaps some updated photos in daylight. Today I'm dressed entirely by SelfEdge!

DSCN2015_zpse101eb78.jpg

DSCN2018_zps44b700b1.jpg

DSCN2017_zps79d0b687.jpg

edit: In direct sun:

photo_zpsadf481e5.jpg

Also had a great reaction at my local cafe. The barista was staring at them, and I eventually just explained what they were, she asked about the texture, I said she can touch them, "ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO FEEL LIKE THAT!" she squealed. Was pretty funny, and yes, the texture is amazing on these.

Edited by Aries

i think you answered your own question. when using a conventional washing machine, the agitation can cause the denim to overbleed, sometimes causing the material to look splotchy in areas that had direct contact with the agitator. turning your jeans inside out reduces this effect, as the inside of the jeans takes all the dircect impact, so to speak. since doing a traditional soak, whether it be in a bathtub, washing machine, bucket, etc. usually warrants little to no agitation, i feel like it doesn't matter if the jeans are inside out or not.

Flat Head's 3XXX series is a notable exception ... it requires much agitation in addition to hot water to maximize shrinkage (if that is the intent).

About how much are we looking at for the engineer boots Kiya?

Thanks

Engineers are about $750 and the oxfords are about $460.

stocking the colored skivvies any time soon?

Yup, we'll have these next week!

Iron Heart 8301s SBG, 666 Devil's Fit, & 10th Anniversary Loopwheeled T-Shirt

We've just received restocks of two of Iron Heart's most popular models along with a new loopwheeled t-shirt to commemorate their tenth anniversary.

The loopwheeled tee comes in a heavyweight gray fabric with a water based screened image on the front and back.  These are made in limited numbers and will not be restocked.

Along with the new tee all stores have received full restocks of the 8301s slim cut jean in Iron Heart's SBG denim, this fabric starts black but ages over time like an indigo dyed jean.  We've also received a full restock of the 18oz unsanforized indigo denim Devil's Fit slim cut, these go quick and are only produced twice a year. 

All these items along with full restocks of all Iron Heart vests, jackets, wallets, and base line jeans are available now at all four Self Edge stores.

IHT_1318_01.jpg

IHT_1318_01_04.jpg

IH_666s_01.jpg

IH_666s_01_02.jpg

IH_8301S_01.JPG

IH_8301S_01_04.JPG