Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

Self Edge Portland - Opening August 3rd

Self Edge opened seven years ago in the Mission District of San Francisco with the vision of creating an otaku retail store dedicated to vintage style denim and other clothing produced by the Japanese.  A place to find all the brands that many have spent years reading about in Japanese magazines and across countless online forums and blogs.  It has a been a seriously wild ride since we opened our first set of doors in 2006, we had no intention of having multiple stores at the time.  Over time we realized that what we were doing was different enough and that we had enough fans across the country that we could expand beyond San Francisco. 

Four years ago we opened our second store in New York City, it's been an amazing four years with the number of new friends we've made thousands of miles away from where we started; we're excited for the years to come with what we have planned for the future.  

Three years ago our largest store opened, this one in sunny Los Angeles located in an area with some of the best stores in the country.  Locals, visitors, and retailers welcomed us into their neighborhood and we've had a great three years in LA.  We have some great plans for some pop-ups at SELA from some of the brands we carry over the next year, with all the room there we can really showcase a brand's complete line-up.

After seven adventurous years between San Francisco, Japan, New York, and Los Angeles we're proud to announce our expansion to Portland, Oregon.

Earlier this year we went to Portland to visit the crew behind Tanner Goods, after spending some time there we realized there were was quite a large Self Edge fan-base already there.  We saw that what we do translates well to what locals in Portland look for in clothing and accessories (or anything, for that matter); quality and an attention to detail are at the top of the list when shopping or eating in this town.   Opening in Portland has been more about the surroundings of a retail store and the fact that we've fallen in love with the city itself.  

We're opening on August 3rd in a new retail project named Union Way which links Ace Hotel and Powell's Books, two of the biggest destinations for out-of-towners.  We've got some great neighbors at Union Way (Danner, Steven Alan, Quin Candy, Spruce Apothecary (Canoe), and Boxer Ramen) and we're looking forward to making new friends in Portland.  

At Self Edge Portland we'll be offering all of the same brands as our other stores with an emphasis on outerwear in the winter months.  SEPDX will also offer chainstitch hemming services on our vintage Union Special Chainstitching machine free of charge on all jeans purchased from us and for $25 for all pre-owned jeans.  We'll also offer our full repair services for a flat fee on our vintage darning machine.

Self Edge Portland will be opening on August 3rd with an opening party to follow on August 10th from 6pm to 10pm (more info to follow).  New unreleased pieces and restocks of popular items from many of our brands will be available when we open.

Stop by and see what a real pair of jeans feels like.

Self Edge Portland

1022 W. Burnside Street #J

Portland, OR 97209

Edited by kiya

I've been wearing my pair for about a month now.  I have to confess that when I started wearing them, my excitement mostly came from the fact that the denim had an insane story and process behind it, and that Self Edge had never done natural indigo before.

Even though the denim was super beautiful, I was a little sad to be shelving my 6 month old Flat Heads that had been washed 12 or so times, and were just getting good.  The last few days though, the jeans have started to soften up a little, and the shape is a lot more natural now than any brand new jeans are.  The depth and texture of the denim only gets more interesting with wear and the color is as unbelievable as it is at day one. These are the most exciting jeans I've worn in a long time, and are quickly becoming favorites. 

TMADD,

exactly what I would expect; thanks for the update. I think the thing I've noticed most about them in the short time I've had them is the huge potential for this kind of wear. The depth and complexity of the coloring and the thick, unusual threads seem to promise a very interesting ride, fade- and wear-wise. I will be somewhat sad to put my Roy RN04's on second duty (and my raw Tenders on third?!), but I'm totally focused on working these in well. I would love to see a thread devoted to their evolution, perhaps with a brief (or not-so) treatise from Kiya detailing the whole process of their creation (any pictures of the actual production? that would be fucking awesome).

btw, writing this as i groove to Kenny Burrell as interpreted by my MA-6900 and Kef 201/2's. too sweet...

enjoy!

The Roy Indigo Slub-Striple "Portland" Shirt

Roy's been hiding away in his studio for the past four months working on honing his shirt making skills.  His first shirt release, which sold out in minutes, was a simple chambray shirt with some fun detailing.  With this next shirt he's taken his production techniques and stepped them up a few notches all while using a fabric thats rarely seen outside of Japan.  Roy has expressed that he's never spent this much time on each garment as he did with this run of shirts due to some of the complicated detailing.

The fabric on the "Portland" shirt is an American cotton lightly slub-striped selvedge textile from Japan's Rampuya mill thats been sanforized.  The shirt features deadstock depression-era milky glass buttons, chainstitch run-off, selvedge accented gusseted sideseams, chainstitch embroidered hidden "Roy",  3-needle felling, and extra buttons in a hidden cyanide pill-pocket at the bottom tip of the placket, because as Roy says, "They'll never take you alive".

This shirt will go on sale at noon (local time) at all four Self Edge stores on Saturday, August 3rd, and will be available online at 10am (PDT) the same day.

ROY_indigoSHIRT_01.jpg

ROY_indigoSHIRT_03.jpg

ROY_indigoSHIRT_04.jpg

ROY_indigoSHIRT_05.jpg

ROY_indigoSHIRT_06.jpg

ROY_indigoSHIRT_07.jpg

ROY_indigoSHIRT_08.jpg

ROY_indigoSHIRT_09.jpg

ROY_indigoSHIRT_10.jpg

ROY_indigoSHIRT_11.jpg

How many shirts were made?  Will this be the only run?

75 shirts were made in total and there will not be another run of the shirt.

Kiya,

Would you recommend sizing down one on this shirt from your normal IH or FH shirt size? Chest measurement looks pretty big. Or is this one of those "measurements are misleading" situations? Thanks!

I'd say if you want a slim fit you can go down one size from your IH shirt size.

Ill be at sela tomorrow am, hopefully there will be a roy shirt I can walk out with. Any good coffee in the area (im new to l.a.)?

Best really good coffee near SELA is here: http://ggetla.com

Kiya what size is Gino modeling?

He's wearing a medium, he probably could have worn a small.

Hoping my Dry Bones collab size works this time, I was looking at the measurements and the first size I grabbed was very similar to my FH2111s. I probably could have stayed with the size I got originally accounting for stretch. I guess we'll see soon.

Hoping my Dry Bones collab size works this time, I was looking at the measurements and the first size I grabbed was very similar to my FH2111s. I probably could have stayed with the size I got originally accounting for stretch. I guess we'll see soon.

I sized up on these and like the fit. I was a size 29 (31 waist) in the 09 collab and I got a 33 in these. 

Do you have any pics of the globe spec glasses with clear lenses? Particularly the Monty? 

If you have a pic of someone wearing them that would be great.

Or do SENY have the Monty with clear lenses in them? Im going to be in NYC next week so I'll drop by.

Im just wondering as I would be interested in putting prescription lenses in but Im sure they'll look different like that.

Had to take the MBBs and HWDC Whites to the opening moment of SEPDX.  Picked up a Mister Freedom Bandana, talked to Tyler for a minute, gave Kiya all my food money (the bandana is totally worth eating top ramen for a couple weeks, though), and generally enjoyed the sights.  

For anyone who is wondering about the Roy Portland shirts: they're real, and they're spectacular.  I'm tempted to buy one without telling my wife how much it cost...just like the bandana...

9434910023_704c3ef33e_b.jpg

9434917039_39e853cbe1_b.jpg

9434924229_e0e2bb34dd_b.jpg

9437709028_8df527aab0_b.jpg

Whow, i don't remember any photo being taken of me at the desk.  

Thanks for coming by on our first day, hope to see you Saturday night for the party!

Midvall....are you rocking the new dry bones collab in that shot? They look a lot lighter blue to me in that pic for some reason...I want them if that's the hue.

Kiya, what size should I get in that jean if I have the 34 in the last dry bones collab...but with the weight of that denim and the higher rise I wish I had sized up. 34 or 36?

Thanks!

Midvall....are you rocking the new dry bones collab in that shot? They look a lot lighter blue to me in that pic for some reason...I want them if that's the hue.

Kiya, what size should I get in that jean if I have the 34 in the last dry bones collab...but with the weight of that denim and the higher rise I wish I had sized up. 34 or 36?

Thanks!

Sounds like you'd definitely be a size 36 in the new SEXDB19 jean, they should be perfect after the hot soak.

That's me wearing the Dry Bones Collab.  I'd say that photo is a hair lighter than how they normally look in sunlight/bright light.  It's a pretty dynamic denim, and the shade/hue appears pretty different depending on light, background, and surrounding colors.