Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

Stevenson is definitely quality, I've got the chinos and they're my go to as far as khakis are concerned.

I'd love to grab the gima tee, just not sure about the fit on the XL.  Might be a little on the slim side.

wow, great looking stevenson stuff...that dude's stevenson jeans are also awesome

Stevenson's jeans outlast every other jean we sell at Self Edge.  Yes, that is not a joke.

FYI, Ginno has been wearing his Stevenson 717 jeans for just a hair over 2 years, no repairs done.  I don't even know how thats possible considering he trashes his jeans normally.

That's interesting, I'm sure the core spun thread plays a part but do you think that the single-needle stitching is also more resilient than chainstitching?  It looks like their denim is unsanforized so I wouldn't expect it to avoid tearing longer than, say, Iron Heart.

Of course, what I'd really like to know is how the Flat Head Kevlar jeans compare. :D

That's interesting, I'm sure the core spun thread plays a part but do you think that the single-needle stitching is also more resilient than chainstitching?  It looks like their denim is unsanforized so I wouldn't expect it to avoid tearing longer than, say, Iron Heart.

Of course, what I'd really like to know is how the Flat Head Kevlar jeans compare. :D

Isnt single-needle stitching known to be stronger and more resillient than chain stitching? Just chain stitching is more genuine.

I've had two customers in the past year come to us with repairs of their kevlar (exceed series) jeans and they busted just as fast as a pair of frontier or in-line series jeans.  Thats not to say that they don't last as long, but they didn't feel or look like they lasted longer than a normal pair of FH jeans. 

Isnt single-needle stitching known to be stronger and more resillient than chain stitching? Just chain stitching is more genuine.

This is a fact, but over the next few months i plan on figuring out exactly why these Stevenson jeans are lasting longer than any other jean we carry (we're talking outlasting 60 OTHER models of Japanese jeans).  I believe the weight and feel of Stevenson's denim has a lot to do with the durability of the finished garment, not to mention the stitch count is finer and the yarn is custom made for them and wound tighter than a normal cotton/poly (d-core) yarn.

EDIT: I've found that a yarn that is would tighter than usual tends to snap and break faster than a more loosely woven yarn.  Its pure physics but somehow these Stevenson jeans are defying those laws.

^ they don't! But they do have the 21oz IH-301 and 23oz IH-301

This is a true story.

Edited by kiya

Kiya,

Is the Stevenson 717 a model that will be replenished at some point/still carried by Self Edge, or just the 767 and 727? Thanks.

Also, it would be interesting to see more pictures of how those curved back pockets on Stevenson jeans look over time.

Stevenson's jeans outlast every other jean we sell at Self Edge.  Yes, that is not a joke.

FYI, Ginno has been wearing his Stevenson 717 jeans for just a hair over 2 years, no repairs done.  I don't even know how thats possible considering he trashes his jeans normally.

i tried on pairs of stevenson after seeing his jeans (i love the color and detailing) but found they were very baggy in the top block for what i wanted below.  maybe they have some new cuts coming?

Kiya,

Is the Stevenson 717 a model that will be replenished at some point/still carried by Self Edge, or just the 767 and 727? Thanks.

Also, it would be interesting to see more pictures of how those curved back pockets on Stevenson jeans look over time.

We stopped carrying the 717 once the 727 came out, the rise on the 717 was too low and the top block of the 727 fits better. 

Also, we have the 767 which is a straight leg jean with a medium/low rise and at SELA only we have a classic fit model with a true medium rise which is called the Fair Oaks 707 model.

Kiya, is it possible that the narrow lap seams and narrow double rows of stitching could have something to do with their durability?  Most seams in pics on your site look to be super-super narrow, which looks to be unusual in comparison to most brands… However, my exposure to premium denim is limited.

On another tangent and from a geeked-out mechanical design perspective: the more fasteners in a structure the better as long as the amount of holes created doesn't weaken the structure (look at how many rivets an airplane wing has).  In fabric, the needle doesn’t really make a hole, but appears to separate the yarn to make a space for the thread to pass through.  I have no expertise in garment construction, but it would make sense that a higher stitch count would be stronger because it's like adding more fasteners, but without the side effect of weakening the structure by adding more holes.  Each stitch will have a certain tensile strength, so a higher stitch density should mean a much higher strength seam.

Your comment on the thread type does add a further complication to the mix, though :)

BTW: I love your product shots of crisp, newly built denim.  They’re one of my favorite things to browse.

Edited by Canada_Steve

We stopped carrying the 717 once the 727 came out, the rise on the 717 was too low and the top block of the 727 fits better. 

Also, we have the 767 which is a straight leg jean with a medium/low rise and at SELA only we have a classic fit model with a true medium rise which is called the Fair Oaks 707 model.

awesome news

I'm looking for a slim cut jean similar to slim Jim's. I'm debating between IH666 or FH05bsp. Those who have had both which one do you prefer and why?

Neither of those two jeans are cut like the Slim Jim, i would look at the Strike Gold 1105, 2105, or 3105.  Those are cut far closer to the Slim Jim.

Neither of those two jeans are cut like the Slim Jim, i would look at the Strike Gold 1105, 2105, or 3105.  Those are cut far closer to the Slim Jim.

I own both the Nudie Slim Jim and the SG3105 and will second that they are close in style. If you want something only slightly slimmer check out the 3sixteen SL-100x (I own these as well).

Are they available in 40 waist?

Nope, they only went up to size 38. The Japanese do not produce slim tapered jeans in sizes above 34 normally, we get them to do that type of fit up to 36 or 38 sometimes.

Kiya do you think you'll be release the measurements of the Dry Bones build soon?

We don't have the jeans in yet so there's nothing to measure.  We'll have measurements sometime next week when the jeans arrive.

Gottcha I thought release was going to be July 6th...did you guys reschedule or you guys are stuck waiting and they get there when they get there?

Release has been pushed back by a week.