Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

are you guys still expecting a re stock on the Iron heart type III April 10th?

thanks

Yup, should be April 10th.

Is today still the day we will find out some details about the new Dry Bones denim project?

This got pushed back by a few weeks.

I realize this might be a shot in the dark but is there still a size 40 for the Gotta Roll Indigo Stripe shirt? Also today is the day you get some shipment from Stevenson right?

Much appreciated.

That Gotta Roll shirt is gone in 40.

Stevenson is hitting the stores starting this week.

SENY just got its full Stevenson shipment but due to renovations I didn't even open the boxes yet. Everything will be in the shop when we reopen on Thursday. This is the collection I'm most excited for this season.

darn_it_03.jpg

Check out Darn-It!, Self Edge SF's new repair studio:

http://www.rawrdenim.com/2013/04/darn-it-self-edge-sfs-new-repair-studio/

All these same services are available now at all Self Edge stores, jeans must be dropped off at the store to be repaired or hemmed.

Flat Head Spring Collection, Wild Child Wallets, Horsehide Jackets, & More

We've just received some new spring items from Flat Head along with restocks of some of their more popular items.

First up we've got an indigo rope-dyed cotton linen short sleeve shirt. The fabric on this shirt starts super dark but will fade and age over time like a pair of jeans. The fabric is woven like a linen and breathes extremely well, perfect for warmer weathers.

At Self Edge we love coffee so naturally we knew we had to have this new coffee and Fire-King themed loopwheeled t-shirt. Its a discharge print on a black loopwheeled tee and if you like vintage glassware or coffee you need it.

The leather and cordovan Wild Child wallets are one of the more popular wallets we've carried due to the design and inner layout of the wallet. The materials used are top notch and the wallet ages very well with regular wear. We've now done a black cordovan with black cowhide version that Flat Head has just finished producing. We've also received a small number of the Wild Child wallet chains in tan leather.

When we started carrying the Flat Head horsehide jackets a year ago we underestimated the demand for this style of jacket, we sold out of most sizes within a month and it takes Flat Head almost a year to produce a run. They've just finished the new run, this time they also come with a set of Flat Head patches you can sew onto the jacket (or another jacket) if you'd like.

Along with all these things we've gotten a restock of Flat Head's sterling silver keyhooks, Googies wallets in tan and black, Golden Ticket loopwheeled t-shirts, leather sneakers, and all jean models including the SE05BSP.

Shop Flat Head Online

FH_NAVY_01.jpg

FH_NAVY_03.jpg

FH_NAVY_04.jpg

FH_COFFEE_03.jpg

FH_OLIVE_02.JPG

FH_OLIVE_05.jpg

FH_OLIVE_04.jpg

WC_BLK_02.jpg

WC_BLK_03.jpg

WC_BLK_04.jpg

Are there any more Flat Head shirts en route, or will this be it for awhile?

We'll have some more FH shirts in about 3 or 4 weeks.

Where does Josh gets his rings?

Some are old Self Edge rings and the rest are vintage which he's bought at estate sales.

He's the king of estate sales, hence why his new bar looks the way it does:

http://www.trickdogbar.com/

kiya whats your opinion on Iron Heart loopwheeled tees

The fabric is great, the fit is good. For me i like the fit and triple-stitched collar of Flat Head's tees.

I find that the IH ones fit far better after the first wash.

Kiya, that linen shirt looks superb! It looks like it is quite long compared to usual Japanese sizes. The 44 looks like a really good fit for me (even with a little bit of shrinkage) being 6'3" and all, what would be the maximum shrinkage so I have an idea?

It's been rinsed so i'd say you wouldn't get any more than about 1" of shrinkage anywhere, even the length if cold washed and line dried.

Where does Josh gets his rings?

I can't tell exactly from the pictures but in that first picture, of who I asume is Josh, on the right (his right) pointer finger it looks like a Zuni Inlay ring, the Middle on the same hand looks like Navajo Channel inlay or "chip inlay"and the left middle finger looks like either Navajo clusterwork .

SENY just got its full Stevenson shipment but due to renovations I didn't even open the boxes yet. Everything will be in the shop when we reopen on Thursday. This is the collection I'm most excited for this season.

That black zip up hoodie is bananas.

2 random questions, only posting here since it seems like I'm more likely to get good thoughts here:

Is there a name for the inseam on the Roy rs04s? The one that most makers do as a felled seam.

Why do overseas makers of military inspired coats not switch the way the placket to match the zipper pull? Bums me out from a utilitarian perspective

The black wallet with red lining looks absolutely amazing, I think I'm going to get a card case in that same combination in the future. Both the cordovan and black harness leather is beautiful, once you handle Flat Head's hand-sewn stuff everything else pales in comparison.

Been needing to fix my jeans for awhile now. When SE says:

"The cost for repairs is a flat $40 regardless of what needs to be done to the garment and $20 if the item was bought from Self Edge."

Does this apply for multiple problems? My jeans have both knee blowouts and a couple of butt holes (minor).

Been needing to fix my jeans for awhile now. When SE says:

"The cost for repairs is a flat $40 regardless of what needs to be done to the garment and $20 if the item was bought from Self Edge."

Does this apply for multiple problems? My jeans have both knee blowouts and a couple of butt holes (minor).

Yes, its a flat fee per jean.

I initially thought the same thing about the stache but I think the flathead horsehide pic is an old one from the last run.

Yup, fit pics are from the last run but still studio shots are from the new run because the lining is different.

2 random questions, only posting here since it seems like I'm more likely to get good thoughts here:

Is there a name for the inseam on the Roy rs04s? The one that most makers do as a felled seam.

Most vintage jeans are single-felled and modern jeans are double-fulled (or full-felled). Roy's jeans are single-felled as are most good Japanese brands' jeans.

The machine-done way (like on the Roy Ducks and most modern jeans) is called full-felled or double-felled. Its also called Lap-Seamed or LS-2 (2 for 2 needle or 3 for 3 needle). The Japanese mostly referred to this as "Lap-Seam".

To keep from confusing each other, most people call it "serged and topstitched" for the old style and felled for the double Lap-Seam.

There is solid evidence why the old way is better. It's better for keeping the intended shape of the pattern at the crotch. Sometimes felling can be a bit inaccurate on curves and tends to "even things out." Doing it the old way better preserves the shape of the jeans at that area where several curves intersect and keeps the thigh measurement at the intended level.

Edited by kiya

Kiya, do you have this in a 38 anywhere? Damn does it look nice...not sure why I never wondered about it before.

http://www.selfedge....products_id=833

Nope, completely sold out, just removed it from the online store.