Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

I enjoyed the article but I do take exception to the notion that khakis aren't a "vintage style". There is a definite legacy of heritage there, just as with jeans. In my humble opinion, anyway.

this was the really interesting part of the interview - the idea of what something means once it's taken out of context of its original culture. khakis, in and of themselves, are not "vintage style." and throwing a bunch of "heritage" pieces together smells more of a trend than a style (until proven otherwise)

this was the really interesting part of the interview - the idea of what something means once it's taken out of context of its original culture. khakis, in and of themselves, are not "vintage style." and throwing a bunch of "heritage" pieces together smells more of a trend than a style (until proven otherwise)

Yes, yes, and yes.

I'm sorry, but that's total bullshit. If you don't think - honestly think - that how all of us into denim as we are in this forum - are taking them out of context in their original culture, you're just deliberately ignoring facts.

It seems a little odd here and in other SE interviews to bash RW as "work boots." Now the look(s) Kiya criticizes are pretty silly, and if he just doesn't like how the shoes look, that's fine. But how many people still play basketball in Converse Chucks, anyway? There are lots of folks who don't skateboard in their Vans, don't run track in their Onitsuka Tigers, or self-righteously feed starving children in their Toms, it seems unnecessarily limiting to suggest that just because shoes were originally made for one thing, you can't wear them casually. What about the other shoes RW makes that aren't "work boots," like the Beckman lineup? Or engineer boots? Are you only allowed to wear those if you're a train conductor? Or the 877, which is pretty much the same design but made for outdoor recreation? I assumed RW in generally were kind of a Japanese biker thing (probably the reason I thought they looked cool), I'm not really into the whole workwear look.

Trying really hard to replicate a vintage look for the sake of internal consistency seems very stressful. It's better for you to define your clothes than to let your clothes define your identity. But I guess that's easy for me to say, I listen to progressive and indie rock, there's no particular uniform for those kinds of music the way there is for punk, rockabilly, metal, etc. Yeah I don't agree with everything in the interview, but overall it's a good read.

Edited by Cold Summer

those are very good points cold summer and I would say I totally agree with you. But Kiya was merely stating his point of view, same thing you're doing. Everyone is different and has different tastes so at the end of the day we are all correct! I think it's pointless to be talking about agreeing or disagreeing with what he said in an interview, it's his interview and he can say whatever he wants

Quick question. Why is the SEXIHXLSXA13 sizing so off from other Iron Heart jeans? Is this an oversized baggy look you're going for with this cut? I know I read that you suggest sizing down one or two sizes but it's just a bit confusing compared to past collabs I guess. Or is there supposed to be some shrinkage? I see they're sanforized but who knows. It just seems like a simple number change on the tag could of saved a lot of confusion here. Just interested to hear your thoughts on the cut.

Quick question. Why is the SEXIHXLSXA13 sizing so off from other Iron Heart jeans? Is this an oversized baggy look you're going for with this cut? I know I read that you suggest sizing down one or two sizes but it's just a bit confusing compared to past collabs I guess. Or is there supposed to be some shrinkage? I see they're sanforized but who knows. It just seems like a simple number change on the tag could of saved a lot of confusion here. Just interested to hear your thoughts on the cut.

All the jeans were tagged one size bigger than they should have, that's why we're having everybody size down one or two and then it fits like how it's supposed to. A straight leg jean slightly on the slim side with a little taper.

Yes, I bought a 32, but I should have gone with a 31. Going to need to do a return. The waist was far too big, but it is my fault for not looking at the measurements more carefully.

Send em back to SESF, we'll swap em out for you super quick.

those are very good points cold summer and I would say I totally agree with you. But Kiya was merely stating his point of view, same thing you're doing. Everyone is different and has different tastes so at the end of the day we are all correct! I think it's pointless to be talking about agreeing or disagreeing with what he said in an interview, it's his interview and he can say whatever he wants

Stating your point of view is fine, I was just bothered by the justification behind his opinion about RW shoes, in this case. If you just don't like the style, that's A-okay in my book.

People like to bash on Kiya but I think he deserves a lot of credit for being so patient with troublesome folks (seriously, just read the past few pages here) and inquiries I might dismiss as stupid, trivial questions if I were in his shoes (heh.) Part of it is probably business-motivated (who wants to drive away potential customers?) but it takes a lot of self-control and discipline to handle things as well as he does, even moreso when you consider how he's got to juggle inquiries from email, instant messaging, several internet forums, and in person. Whether or not you agree with his opinions on everything (I sure don't), it's hard to deny that he's played a huge role in the denim community and some of the commenters on that article are being way too harsh.

Kiya, how would the new SEXIH13's compare to the fit of the SG1105's in your opinion?

The main difference would be that the SEXIH13 has a taper to the leg which starts at the lower thigh area where as the SG1105 doesn't have a taper, it's a true straight leg.

It's really funny how many people criticize kiya and self edge on here. Especially over that interview. I dare any one of you to try doing what he does every day and seeing if you can handle that. More than that, try traveling as much as he does, and really look at all the bullshit fashion you see. I travel maybe 1/3 the amount he does and I can tell you red wings and khakis are for the #menswear crowd. Just like High water pants and boat shoes. Maybe all of you should try to create trends, instead of just following them. I'm sure you get plenty of info from inventory or some shit, travel instead of being on the Internet.

Btw, new IH jeans look great. If I was into heavy denim I'd have a pair man. I'll see you in Cali soon, I'm sure.

Edited by akuma no uta

It's really funny how many people criticize kiya and self edge on here. Especially over that interview. I dare any one of you to try doing what he does every day and seeing if you can handle that. More than that, try traveling as much as he does, and really look at all the bullshit fashion you see. I travel maybe 1/3 the amount he does and I can tell you red wings and khakis are for the #menswear crowd. Just like High water pants and boat shoes. Maybe all of you should try to create trends, instead of just following them. I'm sure you get plenty of info from inventory or some shit, travel instead of being on the Internet.

Btw, new IH jeans look great. If I was into heavy denim I'd have a pair man. I'll see you in Cali soon, I'm sure.

SIgh. Look, no one, least of all me, is critizing Kiya. Having a different opinion, and commenting on a differing opinion, is not being critical of Kiya the person. He's done fantastic things, and I've enjoyed every email I've gotten from Selfedge showing me shiny new denim, each email making me feel poorer than the one before it.

As for "daring" us, well, that's just posturing nonsense. I can't be president, or a professional baseball player either, but it's certainly well within my rights to critique what I see and read. I'm sure Kiya doesn't take it personally.

The fact is, whatever your opinion of redwings and khakis, denimheads are perceived as fashion to the world beyond these forum's walls as well. This argument basically boils down to a bunch of hipsters decrying "hipsters". Who cares?

I think denim is awesome, I always have, I think redwings are awesome, I always have, and the best you can really say about any of it is it undoubtedly has far deeper vintage roots than the average fat fuck lumbering out of Wallmart in sweatpants.

So rock on, Kiya, keep making me feel poor with pictures of beautiful denim, and you hipsters, get off my lawn!

Edited by jake431

kiya, when can we expect a restock on iron heart denim (in particular the 666OD)

on the site it says there is one size 34 left, but ive heard repeatedly now that is it a mistake

I really want to see the OD material in person before purchasing, would you say it is somewhere

halfway between indigo and black or is it just black. I think its really hard to capture a good picture of what they actually look like

so I don't really know, ive seen pictures that make them look really dark blue and pictures where they seem black.

kiya, when can we expect a restock on iron heart denim (in particular the 666OD)

on the site it says there is one size 34 left, but ive heard repeatedly now that is it a mistake

I really want to see the OD material in person before purchasing, would you say it is somewhere

halfway between indigo and black or is it just black. I think its really hard to capture a good picture of what they actually look like

so I don't really know, ive seen pictures that make them look really dark blue and pictures where they seem black.

No idea when another run of these is being done.

Just a minute ago we did stock on these and we have a size 30, 34 (mis-tagged as 38, but it's a 34),

The online store has been updated to reflect the stock.

sorry, but that's weak. everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but what kiya is articulating is a measured, thought out point of view. as such, it fully merits due consideration - and in doing so, you may find it informative in formulating your own thoughts, even if you don't agree with it.

the idea that we're all correct leads to both moral relativism and everyone gets an A on their test, neither of which are positive outcomes

Was in San Francisco this weekend for business/pleasure and was really happy I could schedule a trip to the Mission and hit up Self-Edge. Picked up a pair of Sugarcane Okinawas after my last pair died after three years. Big ups to Jason for getting me in and out and without any hassle.

Glad you guys are still around and thriving, much love.

No idea when another run of these is being done.

Just a minute ago we did stock on these and we have a size 30, 34 (mis-tagged as 38, but it's a 34),

The online store has been updated to reflect the stock.

as of this early afternoon when i checked there was only a size 30 and size 36 in stock

this seems to still be the case.

If there is a size 34 lying around somewhere please let me know!

Self Edge New Product Update

Spring is around the corner and we're getting in new items on a weekly basis, if you're local to one of our stores drop in and check out what's new.

3sixteen+

We've got an awesome new jean from 3sixteen+ made of a left hand twill denim produced by Kuroki Mills in Okayama Japan. The fabric has a really interested deep indigo shade to it and a great hand once soaked. The jean was cut and sewn in America and comes with hidden rivets, a well tanned leather patch, and a great straight leg fit. Due to the limited amount of the fabric these were made in a small run of 100 pairs and won't be restocked.

Iron Heart

We launched a new collaboration with Iron Heart last week, it's moving quickly at all of our stores, check them out online or come into a store to try a pair on. Along with the collaboration we got a full restock of the 666 Devil's Fit and a new indigo bandana. All stores have also gotten full restocks of all regular model jeans. The bandanas will be in the online store on February 25th and the next 301s restock is April 1st.

Real Japan Blues

RJB is still one of our favorite brands when it comes to fit and fabric. We just received some new shirts from their Spring/Summer collection along with some hot argyle socks. Along with these shirts and sock we got the rest of the run of the 103BSP and 106BSP jeans, these are all available now at all three Self Edge stores and in our online store.

Flat Head

From Flat Head we've received a full restock of all their jeans including the SE05BSP, 3009 (F380), Women's Balder jean, and the last of the SEXFHXRJB15 jeans. Along with these jean restocks we got a great new polo shirt, polos are in again, at least we think so (as long as you promise not to tuck them in).

Imperial

Imperial has decided to move the production of their two most popular jeans to Japan. The Duke (indigo) and Shearer (indigo) jeans are now fully produced in Japan. What this means is a higher level of construction with new features such as rolled belt loops, hidden rivets, and chainstitched hems. The denim is still a 14.25oz Japanese selvedge fabric and the fits on both have been slightly modified. Check the online store for an updated size chart and spec list. We've also got a few more of the SEXI14 jeans in both indigo and black. All these jeans are available now at all Self Edge stores and in our online store.

Sugar Cane

A full restock of all Sugar Cane jeans is hitting all stores on Monday, February 27.

Mister Freedom

The spring collection starts shipping to stores March 10th, in the meantime we've gotten a full restock of the Troy Deck Jacket and the Mulholland Master in both colors at Self Edge New York.

Dry Bones

All three stores have just received a full restock of the Red-D Slim jeans from Dry Bones, there are a few more pairs coming into SESF and online on Saturday, February 25th. We also got a fill in of sizes of the Dry Bones Award Jacket, available now at all three stores and in our online store.

Strike Gold

All stores have received a full restock of all four Strike Gold jean models and we've received their highly anticipated loopwheeled blank hoodies, we feel these are the ultimate hoodie. If you're size is sold out online you can call SELA for a phone order, we received our shipment there this week.

hopefully stopping by sesf today. just to browse, i really wanna check out the new iron hearts, bummed i can't leave with anything..

random, but did you get a hooper tattoo @ajchen?

Damn, i'm missing you today, i'm at Russian River brewing all day.

Will be at the shop all day tomorrow though.

Damn, i'm missing you today, i'm at Russian River brewing all day.

Will be at the shop all day tomorrow though.

bummer!! people still go there when theres no younger?..hahah just kidding.

i'll be back soon hopefully.. btw those 634s you guys just repaired for me are done for so i am going to need to replace them with something sooner or later..

i did.

lucky man!! i always try and get an appointment when he comes to the convention in sf...