Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

What's really insane is the quality of their leathers, also the way they're dyed gives them a very unique shade. Each piece is dyed by itself after it's been cut, this is not only time consuming but nearly unheard of anymore.

Just curious, does it have a fishy smell since it's treated with fish oil?

Yes it does, but goes away after a while. It's not something you can smell unless you really take a whiff of the it up close.

I think his question is hyping up the 3sixteen+ "Game Changers".

It's more about opening up a discussion about what jeans are actually made in Japan of fully Japanese hardware and fabric.

Seeing all my Twitter responses made me realize that people don't actually know where things are made or where the components that make up their garments actually come from.

There aren't even that many brands that fit into those requirements, let alone fit into a price requirement as low as $300.

So honestly uniqlo all made in japan are not all made in japan? Is that not against the law under false advertisement?

And how is mr regular Joe ment to find out where the rivets companies use come from? 90% of their information is in Japanese and even after you translate it does not make sense

So I think it is quiet understandable

Only a certain percentage of an item has to be assembled in a given country for it to be labeled "made in X" and I think that qualification differs based on the given country. If I remember correctly if the final process of sewing a tag on the neck of a shirt was done in, for example Canada, the item can be advertised as 'made in Canada'. I could obviously be wrong or exaggerating but when an item is said to be made in a specific place it hardly indicates that the raw elements are from that same country.

2cents.

Damn. Almost everytime Kiya opens up and wants to have a discussion about denim, the conversation always turns into Kiya hyping certain brand he carries.

This is actually a great discussion point. Without pointing fingers at certain Japanese brands and putting Kiya in a awkard position, how about just list brands that's 100% MIJ including hardware, leather tags...etc?

So honestly uniqlo all made in japan are not all made in japan? Is that not against the law under false advertisement?

And how is mr regular Joe ment to find out where the rivets companies use come from? 90% of their information is in Japanese and even after you translate it does not make sense

So I think it is quiet understandable

The laws regulating what is required for a product to be "Made in country XYZ" are pretty convoluted and illogical, mostly because a lot of it is tied to international tariffs and import/export quotas for various countries. All the components of a product can be made in country A, but stitched together in country B, and still carry the tag "Made in Country B"

"Fugitive Denim" has a pretty good discussion on the topic.

http://www.amazon.com/Fugitive-Denim-Moving-People-Borderless/dp/0393335429/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303333226&sr=1-3

Damn. Almost everytime Kiya opens up and wants to have a discussion about denim, the conversation always turns into Kiya hyping certain brand he carries.

This is actually a great discussion point. Without pointing fingers at certain Japanese brands and putting Kiya in a awkard position, how about just list brands that's 100% MIJ including hardware, leather tags...etc?

I agree why not just tell everyone who does 100% MIJ, instead of asking a question only a handful of people would know the answer to

Here are some brands that do 100% MIJ produced jeans across their ENTIRE collections:

Flat Head

Iron Heart

Samurai

Real McCoy's

Real Japan Blues

Strike Gold

Buzz Rickson

3sixteen+ (2011 Collection)

I agree why not just tell everyone who does 100% MIJ, instead of asking a question only a handful of people would know the answer to

The reason is because it opens up a discussion across Twitter and the forums, i want people's responses before anything. If i come out and say it from the beginning nobody will think much about it outside of reading what i had to say.

I thought the timing of the question and the dollar amount mentioned was such that it seemed obvious to me that it related to the 3sixteen+ release.

It is still a good question and worthy of discussion. With all that said, I think it's pretty impressive to offer a moderately heavyweight denim at that price that is 100% MIJ!

K,

Will you guys carry the fancy vest and matching pantalon apche at your stores?

domo.

¥¥¥

I was incorrect in my initial answer, we're getting the MF Pantalon Apache Rayure Bleu next week at all stores.

"Seeing all my Twitter responses made me realize that people don't actually know where things are made "

lol at this ABSURD attempt at naïveté

People stated that Naked & Famous, Benny Gold, Superdry, and Gap jeans were made in Japan. These are four brands which i thought it was fairly obvious that their jeans weren't made in Japan.

is Pure Blue all made in Japan or outsourced for certain components? I know they fall under $300 bucks. I kinda figured you were hyping up your new jeans but as a discussion on the other hand it's actually a good topic.

wat happened to the 3/4 SC shirts being up april 20th? =(

They're available now at all three stores, they're being shot this weekend and should be up in the online store by sunday or monday.

Man Amazon hosting really takes a dump more often than it should..

Actually, since we switched over a year ago it hasn't gone down at all, this is a first for it going down for more than a minute.

Oddly enough this is coming during the same week which we're relaunching our site with some new features, more info, and better functionality.