APC denim

Geowu

Quote:

that is the purpose of the original standard

--- Original message by merzbot on Jan 10, 2006 07:32 PM

interesting. the sales guy on the phone was adamant that i not purchase the original standards because they weren't a very "wearable" jean. i would definitely categorize the new standard as low rise. anyone out there want to trade a 28" waist for my 27" waist?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

but the new standard has 5 buttons though. your idea of what a low rise is/should be seems to date back to puritanical times. i would then guess the original standard is 6 button?

--- Original message by merzbot on Jan 11, 2006 11:14 AM

haha. good point. maybe the rise is just much smaller on the smaller sizes? i'm guessing the rise is longer on the 32" waist than the 27".

I just came back from APC on Mercer St. I tried the Hipster-to bootlegged and the New Standard, which I though was slimmer in the leg that LVC 1947's, but a similar straight low waist. My biggest suprise was trying a size 30 and than a size 29 and finding them to be alsmost exactly the same. Meanwhile I couldn't get the 28 paist my thighs. The salesman got me another pair of 29's which were sufficiently tight. Anyone trying on sizes might want to consider that such fluxuations exist. I would say the 30 was like a 31-32 levis. Also, the inseam for the 29 which I bought couldn't be much more than 32, so I didn't see the extreme lengths some people are talking about. I followed the salesmen's suggestion to get the tightess possible. They were $140, which is more than I remmeber them being and he said they would go up again to $150 in the Spring.

Quote:

but the new standard has 5 buttons though. your idea of what a low rise is/should be seems to date back to puritanical times. i would then guess the original standard is 6 button?

--- Original message by merzbot on Jan 11, 2006 11:14 AM

actually counted the buttons on my 27" new standards. only 4. i knew i wasn't crazy thinking they were low rise. anyone know the lowest waist size they carry with 5 buttons? i'm going to put the 27s up on ebay. just a tad too tight. if anyone out there is 5'5" - 5'8" and <135 lbs these jeans are for you. unwashed. still don't smell at all.

The 27's i tried definitely had at least a 34 inseam, not sure if they were 36 but they were pretty long. People have discussed this before about the discrpencies between the sizes, with some people claiming a certain size to be much tighter then others are claiming. Like someone said its probably APC going through growing pains in their manufacturing process.

Edited by marquischacha on Jan 12, 2006 at 12:49 AM

Quote:

The 27's i tried definitely had at least a 34 inseam, not sure if they were 36 but they were pretty long. People have discussed this before about the discrpencies between the sizes, with some people claiming a certain size to be much tighter then others are claiming. Like someone said its probably APC going through growing pains in their manufacturing process.

Edited by marquischacha on Jan 12, 2006 at 12:49 AM

--- Original message by marquischacha on Jan 12, 2006 12:49 AM

inseam is 34 so a tall skinny person could definitely fit them. Probably someone up to 5'10" - 5'11" now that I think about it. APC definitely needs to do a better job communicating their sizes including saying sizes x-y have a shorter rise (4 buttons) as opposed to sizes a-b which use 5 buttons.

The smallest size mens jeans at A.P.C. are produced in is a size 29. Anything smaller than a size 29 is the "womens version" of the jean. This means it will have a lower rise and highier hem. The Hipsters are also actually supposed to be a womens jean, but are marketed as a unisex jean. So, any sizing issues between sizes 29 - up and 28 - 25 is due to this.

To confirm this check the back of any size tag of the Cure jeans in a size smaller than 29. There should be a small F on it, which denotes, Femme.

Being that the New Standard and Standard jeans are considered unisex, you won't find a H or F on the tag. Only the Hipsters, Cure Femme, and Cure sz: 28-25 (only produced in womens) should have a F on the back of the size tag.

The standards inseam length for A.P.C. mens jeans are 35".

Quote:

alright...someone please set the record straight once and for all....are the New Standards slimmer than the Standards? my understanding is that they're essentially the same.

if someone could please confirm, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance...

--- Original message by MyMindSpray on Jan 22, 2006 02:38 PM

By "Standards" do you mean "original" Standard (the one that just got reissued)? APC was calling the New Standard the "Standard" for a while. They seem to change names for their jeans weekly.

The original Standard is cut exactly the same except for a higher rise, I'm quite certain.

Yeah, there we go, they're being obnoxious and retarded with the naming scheme.

Original Standard = high rise; this was the original "Standard" jean issued back in the early 90s (late 80s, even, maybe?) when APC started doing raw denim

Standard = what everyone refers to as the "New Standard"; plain raw indigo

New Standard = same as Standard, but in the overdyed black color instead of raw indigo, also pre-washed.

hope that helps.

Edited by minya on Jan 22, 2006 at 02:55 PM

Anybody notice a difference in denim quality dependent on where they were made. I owned a pair of new standards in 32 and sold them because of fit and i just got a new pair in size 30 that are made in Macau. I don't remember where my first pair was made but i'm pretty sure it wasn't macau. The denim on the new pair seems a little bit thinner than my last pair. It's either i forgot how my last pair felt and now i'm comparing denim to my 21oz D'artisans, or this new pair is really thin.

In any case, two sizes made a huge difference in fit, my last pair was 8.5- 9 inches at the hem and this new pair is a tiny bit above 7.5 . I love the fit now but with this new transition to slimmer denim with my helmut lang's is putting a dent in my wallet trying to buy tops that look okay with them.

Quote:

Anybody notice a difference in denim quality dependent on where they were made. I owned a pair of new standards in 32 and sold them because of fit and i just got a new pair in size 30 that are made in Macau. I don't remember where my first pair was made but i'm pretty sure it wasn't macau. The denim on the new pair seems a little bit thinner than my last pair. It's either i forgot how my last pair felt and now i'm comparing denim to my 21oz D'artisans, or this new pair is really thin.

In any case, two sizes made a huge difference in fit, my last pair was 8.5- 9 inches at the hem and this new pair is a tiny bit above 7.5 . I love the fit now but with this new transition to slimmer denim with my helmut lang's is putting a dent in my wallet trying to buy tops that look okay with them.

--- Original message by crisis on Jan 23, 2006 10:14 AM

I've owned a pair of older ones which were made in Tunisia and the newer made in Macau ones. I definitely agree with you. Denim seems a bit thinner and the belt loops are a lot thinner/flimsier on the newer ones.

A.P.C. uses Japanese denim regardless of where it is manufactured. Also, the raise in price for the jeans was due to a raise in the cost of denim. To produce one pair of A.P.C. jeans it cost about $48. That's a lot considering the fact that you can buy a pair of Levis retail at that price.

Also, this Spring there will be a new model of the Cure jeans that are even skinnier. They will be $160 instead of $140.

ok, so i had a pair of 31 English Cut APC's, 2 years ago and they were good until i washed them. they shrunk up to where it is almost unbearable to wear them and the length shrunk too short.

i just bought a pair of 33's and want to get all the shrinking done ahead of time so i can go ahead and hem them up. what's the best method (temp, time etc) of soaking them without ruining them?

That seems kinda odd. I'm 6" and 170 pounds and I can fit into 32-33 without a problem. In fact, my 33s are kinda loose. (no, I'm not talking APC sizes)

Edited by PG2G on Jan 24, 2006 at 06:43 PM