APC denim

Geowu

I want to get a pair of A.P.C.

My doubt is about the sizing and which cut is best.

In this picture, from Serge d Nimes, you can clearly see that the denim has some sort of shine in the fabric. The model is "women's jeans" from A.P.C.

1109680359481_P1010029.JPG

Does the model "unwashed denim" (english-cut) has the same sort of shine in the fabric?

Please give me some advice on this, because I really don't want opaque jeans.

Should I get the Unisex cut instead, or even the "women's jeans"?

Last, my size on Diesel's Rabox is 32 so, should I get a size 30 in APC? I want it to be slim and mold with time to my legs.

Any other advice much appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the responses,

Also, is the difference between the waist in Unisex(regular) and Anglais (low) noticeable?

could I buy an English-cut some 2 or 3 sizes down so to get a slim fit? The waist would be too narrow right?

and, what's the approximate weight of the denim in ounces? (hope it's not less than 12,5oz)

The Anglaise will *never* be a slim fit, unless you were to order 4 sizes down or so. Really. It's a full-cut jean. The New Standard jeans (unisex) have a low waist and a slim fit. Why is it that you want the Anglaise over the the unisex? The denim is the same - I think it's around 12.5oz.

The unisex is great.. I was considering the Anglais because in the APC site it says "low waist" which I prefer. Unisex is also pretty low isn't it? Anyway I'll buy the Unisex, probably 2 sizes down to be very slim... would 3 sizes down be too much?

wild_whiskey

In your previous posts you said you own some pairs of selvage helmut langs. They sound like the perfect jeans to me, how are they compared to your Unisex A.P.C.? I'd really like to know that... people say Helmut Lang are very confortable.

Edited by Geowu on Mar 24, 2005 at 09:17 PM

Diesel 32 is more like a 34, so if you are a 34, I would go with a 31 in Apc Unisex. the unisex has a boxy low waist fit that is really nice. the Anglais probably has a bigger rise. I should have returned mine (unisex) and gotten a 31, but I didnt and I still love them. Hope that helps.

I'm not illiterate, I just can't type!

1112216788617_lee1.JPG

justaname - unisex is sanforized and will shrink 2% or so with washing, so if you buy them do not get your size in 501 shrink-to-fit, you should measure the waist of your shrink-to-fits after they have shrunk and fit well, and that should be the size you order. It sounds like a size 34 or 35 to me.

Helmut Lang jeans are very cool - however as I try to mention as often as possible, they are very tight. They are the tightest jeans I own (and I like to wear them fitted, so this says something). I do not actually consider them to be comfortable because of how fitted they are. The fabric's he uses are pretty soft though, but I cannot speak for unwashed jeans from HL as I don't own any.

The APC unisex jeans are about the same rise, with a looser, more 3-dimensional seat cut (if this makes sense) and looser legs all the way down. I do consider the APC unisex to be on the slimmer side in the legs and seat, so don't think that it's baggy or full cut - they're definitely a slim jean. Geowu, if you buy the Unisex, I advise one size down for a closer fit, but not 2 or 3 sizes down, unless your standard is 2-3 sizes too big. I have a very skinny waist, and a 29 is basically a perfect fit for me, 28 would be a little too uncomfortable. If you're willing to sacrifice comfort in the upper hip area (where the jeans sit), you could go two sizes down, as the denim will stretch over time if pulled harshly.

Serge, I'm pretty sure the Anglais rise is = to the New Standards (unisex) rise.

Edited by wild_whiskey on Mar 25, 2005 at 10:38 AM

While we're on the topic of sizing...besides dry cleaning, what's the best way to minimize shrinkage, especially lengthwise? I was thinking washing them in very cold water and then letting them hang dry, but then again I've never done this before. Anyone?

?

A.P.C. Jeans are so plan they don't even have any design on the ass. And Lee is anything but unique, I bet you there are 10,000 pairs of Lees out there for every one pair of A.P.C. And what the fuck is hiding behind a label, it sounds like that is what you are doing with your lees. Are you on medication for your paranoia?

I'm not illiterate, I just can't type!

1112216788617_lee1.JPG

ROFL Serge.

Quote: thanks whiskey, 36 is the size that's already been shrunk... so the apc unisex feels pretty much similar to the shrink to fit right? or am i just wrong hahaha

They are a little slimmer, and much lower rise than shrink to fit. They are a little more stiff when you buy them, the color is a richer blue, and the stitching is superior in quality. They are *not* shrink to fit, however. They are cut a little oversized in the waist measurement, but not enough to justify going all the way down to size 34. Use your own disgression here - if you feel like you have more room in the waist of your Levi's STF than you need, and you want them to be a bit tighter, go down to the 35. If you like the way your Levi's STF fit at 36, go with the 36. In general though, they are fairly similar to the 501 in the legs, but less tapered. The butt is considerably more fitted (which is a very good thing, the 501 ass is saggy and shaped like a sail).

Quote: While we're on the topic of sizing...besides dry cleaning, what's the best way to minimize shrinkage, especially lengthwise? I was thinking washing them in very cold water and then letting them hang dry, but then again I've never done this before. Anyone?

This depends on what we're talking. Un-sanforized jeans (i.e. Denime, Levis STF) will shrink no matter how hard you try, and they are extra long to accomodate for that. Sanforized jeans like A.P.C. and Nudie will shrink 2-5% (that's max 1.6 inches on a 32 inseam), but you can pull on the legs while the jeans are still wet from washing. APC jeans are pretty long, I think 34" inseam, so shrinking won't be a problem for most people. ALWAYS hang dry your raw jeans.

Edited by wild_whiskey on Mar 27, 2005 at 01:38 PM

wild_whiskey, thanks for your reply. I already had my APC jeans hemmed to about 30" which is what I normally wear. I plan on wearing them for a while before I give them their first washing, so I didn't want to wash them before I got them hemmed. To prevent them from shrinking too much, I'll just try pulling on the legs after I wash them.

Quote: wild_whiskey did you wash your APC? if you didn't, can you measure the waist of your unisex (size 29?). Probably, if I don't fit into a 30 then it will be a motivation to work out, loose weight and wear it.

I can but not for a good week, I'm at my parents for spring break and only brought one pair of jeans with me icon_smile_evil.gif

Geowu:

I buttoned them and laid them flat so that the top of the waistband at the front was level with the top of the waistband at the back (i.e. so that the front didn't dip below the back). Then I measured the width and multiplied by 2.

Sanctimonious Kid:

The Rescues are not as baggy as the English. Although www.apc.fr describes them as bootleg and low waisted, my opinion is that they are higher waisted than the English (and also higher waisted than the New Standard and the old APC Bootleg jeans), and the leg openings are narrower at the bottom than the English (I would describe them as more straight leg than bootleg). When you wear them low on the hips, the crotch hangs kind of low. Compared to Nudie Reg Ralf Dry Selvage they are definitely higher waisted and narrower at the bottom of the legs, but about the same through the thighs and seat. FYI, my Nudie Reg Ralf Dry Selvage are size 31 and my size in APC English is 31 (I don't own a pair - I wanted them but they were sold out in my size and it's been discontinued), but my Rescues are 29. Other measurements on my Rescues: 11.5 inch front rise, 15.5 inch back rise, 36 inch inseam, 47 inch outseam, 16.5 inch circumference at the bottom of leg opening, 17.5 inch circumference at the knee.

Hope that helps.