Top 10 Asian & Euro Club Scene

isla maia

• 2 weeks later...

yeah Zouk still happening..always top-notch quality line-up..Liquid room, in Evason hotel (6th sense group, who also runs the Sovena Fushi resort in Maldives islands) took a bit of Zouk's customers at its opening but never matched the level of quality that you can find on a good thursday nite (Air crew nite)...Centro on Fullerton provides the best view of the Marina and Dimitri from Paris did some decent gigs there too...

for HK, Drop is a must-go if you make it thru the door for classic house-breakbeats sounds with a watermelon martini (try it!)...Tokyo-sized so it gets full very fast.....Dragon-i VIP room is bigger than the non-VIP room and music not as good either...btw, they mostly play hip-hop (just like in Paris) so only go for the eyes.....Yumla (ex-Phoebe) is cozy enough for some late breakbeats and has a very edgy line-up....

Tokyo's latest offering to the club scene is Ageha, an oversized arena which can pack at least 3,000 pax...5 rooms, 2 VIP bars, 1 outdoor lounge tents, swimming pool, etc.....bus service from Shibuya..line-up always qualitative and sound system just fantastic......maybe too big....Air in Daikenyama is my favorite since that Mondo Grosso party last december....Breathe party every first thursday of the month..best house music in Tokyo is played not during w/e but during w/days.....btw, it's the club featured in Lost in translation....(the strip club is the APC underground shop in Harajuku!)....other clubs: La Fabrique (tres Frenchie...Fashion TV party last nite. thanks god it's monday nite!) has Les Nuits Liberte every month (Hotel Costes DJ Pompougnac staged his album-launching party last friday)....also Yellow (Carl Cox, Danny Krivit, Lil Louis Vegas) is a classic especially on friday nite (more world music on saturday), Womb (think hard-techno clubbing, huge discoball and a tiny little door to get in), Module (next to Bunkamura) and Simoon (2 DJ's, very different music, either trance on B1 or Zouk/Reggaes on 1F)...

other cities..

Seoul: Matmata friday nite after 3:00am (DJ Yeon Ju), Myungolwan (next door), MI.....heard all these clubs partnered to open 3 floor-club also in Hongdae area....For hot & steamy nights, try SWAY parties usually somewhere sometime in Apkujong/Cheongdam)..recently DMX production had some nice gigs....02 parties are usuall large and loud (think a few thousands people, can be hot but cold fast too)...

Bangkok: damn that midnite curfew !!!!! i guess Ministry of Sound will close soon...can't survive selling coconut martini and tom yam kum.....Bed Superclub best design around Asia....

Taipei: well Ministry of sound is supposed to relocated outside Taipei sometime soon....biggest club in Asia.....if you can't wait, try Room 18 (not underaged but almost....enjoy house music as much as you can coz people will only dance on hip-hop)...Garden of Eden (run by Russian-mob so lots of young Eastern European models)..you cant go to Taipei and not go to its lounge bars....try Naomi, Champagne 1&2, l'Apartment (like in an appartment yes !.......in Tokyo, Office based on same concept)...

need more let me know...

yeah Zouk still happening..always top-notch quality line-up..Liquid room, in Evason hotel (6th sense group, who also runs the Sovena Fushi resort in Maldives islands) took a bit of Zouk's customers at its opening but never matched the level of quality that you can find on a good thursday nite (Air crew nite)...Centro on Fullerton provides the best view of the Marina and Dimitri from Paris did some decent gigs there too...

for HK, Drop is a must-go if you make it thru the door for classic house-breakbeats sounds with a watermelon martini (try it!)...Tokyo-sized so it gets full very fast.....Dragon-i VIP room is bigger than the non-VIP room and music not as good either...btw, they mostly play hip-hop (just like in Paris) so only go for the eyes.....Yumla (ex-Phoebe) is cozy enough for some late breakbeats and has a very edgy line-up....

Tokyo's latest offering to the club scene is Ageha, an oversized arena which can pack at least 3,000 pax...5 rooms, 2 VIP bars, 1 outdoor lounge tents, swimming pool, etc.....bus service from Shibuya..line-up always qualitative and sound system just fantastic......maybe too big....Air in Daikenyama is my favorite since that Mondo Grosso party last december....Breathe party every first thursday of the month..best house music in Tokyo is played not during w/e but during w/days.....btw, it's the club featured in Lost in translation....(the strip club is the APC underground shop in Harajuku!)....other clubs: La Fabrique (tres Frenchie...Fashion TV party last nite. thanks god it's monday nite!) has Les Nuits Liberte every month (Hotel Costes DJ Pompougnac staged his album-launching party last friday)....also Yellow (Carl Cox, Danny Krivit, Lil Louis Vegas) is a classic especially on friday nite (more world music on saturday), Womb (think hard-techno clubbing, huge discoball and a tiny little door to get in), Module (next to Bunkamura) and Simoon (2 DJ's, very different music, either trance on B1 or Zouk/Reggaes on 1F)...

other cities..

Seoul: Matmata friday nite after 3:00am (DJ Yeon Ju), Myungolwan (next door), MI.....heard all these clubs partnered to open 3 floor-club also in Hongdae area....For hot & steamy nights, try SWAY parties usually somewhere sometime in Apkujong/Cheongdam)..recently DMX production had some nice gigs....02 parties are usuall large and loud (think a few thousands people, can be hot but cold fast too)...

Bangkok: damn that midnite curfew !!!!! i guess Ministry of Sound will close soon...can't survive selling coconut martini and tom yam kum.....Bed Superclub best design around Asia....

Taipei: well Ministry of sound is supposed to relocated outside Taipei sometime soon....biggest club in Asia.....if you can't wait, try Room 18 (not underaged but almost....enjoy house music as much as you can coz people will only dance on hip-hop)...Garden of Eden (run by Russian-mob so lots of young Eastern European models)..you cant go to Taipei and not go to its lounge bars....try Naomi, Champagne 1&2, l'Apartment (like in an appartment yes !.......in Tokyo, Office based on same concept)...

need more let me know...

other cities..

need more let me know...

Singapore: Zouk & Velvet underground (thursday crew nite), Centro (avoid FHM parties!), Liquid Room, anything on Mohammed Sultan...

Tokyo: Air (Breathe party, first thursday of every month, best house DJ in Japan), Yellow, La Fabrique (tres Frenchie, Pompougnac's first album release party last friday, Fashion TV party last nite), Ageha (huge, oversized, be prepared), Module, Simoon...check www.so-net.ne.jp/CYBERJAPAN/homeE.html

Seoul: Matmata (friday after 3AM), MI..one-off parties by SWAY, 02, DMX....check www.seoulite.net, www.dmxproductions.com...

Hong-Kong: Drop, Dragon-eye, K Club, Yumla...check www.hkclubbing.com

Bangkok: hum..midnight curfew so better spend your money on fancy dining...Bed Supper Club www.bedsupperclub.com..also Ministry of Sound on Sukhumvit Soi 14, Tapas in Patpong soi 4...

Taipei: Room 18, Garden of Eden..Ministry of sound rumored to open soon...lounge scene very 'active'..try Naomi, Champagne, l'Appartment....can be steamy sometimes....

peace

• 1 month later...

Womb is good but 'physical'..always great line-up though...Oakenfold this week..

Zouk also has a great line-up but i prefer Velvet..more deep house....Zouk has younger crowd, Velvet more mature and likely to buy bottles.....whatever rocks your boat.

btw, MOS opened in Taipei...huge lines to get in.....

• 2 weeks later...

Zouk - say no more.

One of, if not THE best, club I've ever been to / the best club in the world...often comes in second after Pacha Ibiza as the world's best in Mixmag etc etc polls.....three main rooms plus chill bar outside. Andy Warhol / Keith Haring originals on the walls, superstar dj's every weekend + great local talent, up for it, friendly crowd, nice bouncers, great sound system. What more could you ask for? Its been open 10+ years as well - much respect !!!

Zouk now in KL Malaysia too..

well i'll give singapore that - sustainability! zouk has been around forever and i'm surprised no one thought to put a competitive club up around the area. hong kong's lan kwai fong and soho district's full of new clubs, but the old ones, club 97 - definitely can't sustain its rep like zouk.

is yellow still a happening club in tokyo?

baby, we're all beautiful!

--isla maia

the only bad thing about Zouk WAS the 3AM closing time....it changed last year so now we're talking....(going there this w/e, Ferry Costen playin)....

Yellow surely still happening with always decent line-up...check Felix Da Housecat in June..but lately, Ageha had the best DJ's...Junior Vasquez, Pete Tong, Danny Rampling....Air and Womb also very qualitative...I love Yellow but the mood has become more world/jazzy/ethno.......La Fabrique alternates good & bad line-up but strikes it with more conceptual party (Kinky party, Electro-clash party)....

don't miss Peter Kruder at La Fabrique and Bob Sinclair at Air end of May...