Best washing technique for nudies?

homi29

I've been wearing them in for around 6 months and they're coming along well, but i really need to wash em as they have a ton of dirt and stainning on them, and they smell like shit..

they're 32x32 Nudie RR drycasts

i'm planning on throwing em in the washer. hot water, woolite black, turned inside out

i know theres alot of material on here (through the search fuction), but id just like some advice from nudie owners who are happy with their result.

i'd like to keep em slightly dark with a good amount of contrast

this a good way to wash them?

i think the best way to wash is a shower on hot for a long time

and then a bath on hot

once the water cools down

refil the tub with hot water again

and then one more shower with medium tempertaure water so that your jeans arent super hot

and then takea towel to them, wipe off the water

and wear them damp for about 30 minutes to set the creases and then set themin the sun for a day

thats what i like to do for my apc and nudies.

The way I did my RRDS was like this: Dry clean at a few months and then a cold soak with some soap at 10 months. They changed color at the dry cleaning and really started fading like crazy after that, but the wash didn't do much in terms of fading. Barely lost any indigo.

Just remember, the hoter the water, the more indigo you'll lose.

This is what I did.

1) Wash them inside out no detergent (detergent if really dirty as you said) and take out before the spin cycle.

2) Drip dry.

Simple as that.

you don't achieve fading by washing, you reveal it. structure denim will have a vertical fade---there's no avoiding it.

the only reason you wouldn't wash jeans inside out is if you are dealing with a vintage pair that is already faded and you don't want the risk of tugging and unraveling the stitching. but if you are washing a vintage pair, you should probably handwash anyway. read the samurai master's technique that is stickied.

didn't some japanese washing expert from samurai or something say that direct sunlight is in fact bad? i believe shade was recommended for air drying

I remember that, that was on the Samurai washing expert's thread (they keep referring to him as Master):

Drying:

Master dried the jeans still inside-out. Make sure to get rid of the wrinkles, especially in the selvaged area before you hang it. Some people will hang it upside-down, but that’s up to the user. The best time to dry is morning ‘till noon, but as long as it’s in a place with a good air current in a shady area, it should work just fine.

Drying it right in the sun is bad. It’s because the moisture in the jeans can “boil†suddenly and cause damage to the cloth. Air drying in a freezing weather is also horrible.

Dryer machine is not a bad thing, since you can get a steady and controlled environment for the jeans to dry. But the downside is huge. Over-drying can cause an irreversible damage. So they can’t recommend it. Some experienced dryer machine users, though, have tricks using towels and/or tennis balls with the jeans.

• 4 weeks later...
how long do you pull on the jeans when they're wet? i've got a pair of straight svens that are due for a wash but i defintely don't want to lose any length. should i pull on them for a couple minutes? 10 seconds?

if you have the svenskas or the flame indigo i do believe you're fucked. all signs point to mucho shrinkage on those, like jumping into an ice cold mountain river. if they're japanese, just pull until they won't stretch any more.