Kato denim

Neilfuji

My usual size is 32, and I don't have much ass, so sounds like I should look for a 30. Where might I find them in the US? I only see them at Oi Polloi, Superdenim, and Oki-ni.

So you're saying the 34's fit larger than tagged, but the 32's fit smaller than tagged? That's odd. I don't recall these coming in odd waist sizes, only even, right?

It's worse than that.

1) Their different denims stretch differently.

2) Their different models are sized differently.

For instance the 25-SP-whatthefuckever and 26-SP-whatthefuckever are the exact same cut, but with different rear pockets.

The 25s run a full 2" larger than tagged, the 26s run true to size. Both stretch a solid 1-1.5" over time. They are the exact same cut, just one is clearly based off vanity sizing, and the other isn't.

Holy Christ.

The buckle backs are 23SP21A, which run 1" larger than tagged, so maybe a 32 is in order then. I'm mostly disappointed that they have a taper, though. What I really want is a pair of straight leg jeans with no taper, and a leg opening of 9"+, and a buckle back would be great. MFSC then?

Holy Christ.

The buckle backs are 23SP21A, which run 1" larger than tagged, so maybe a 32 is in order then. I'm mostly disappointed that they have a taper, though. What I really want is a pair of straight leg jeans with no taper, and a leg opening of 9"+, and a buckle back would be great. MFSC then?

dude go for the whole mr freedom outfit. itd be badass, these katos looks pretty sick as well though.

^^Yeah, I'm tempted! I'm a little worried about overdoing it, though. Besides, the MFSC 7161s are not easy to find at the moment. I wonder if tmadd is still selling his pair of 32s from the original run....

For those of you in London, Start (on Rivington Street) have two models on sale at the moment - the buckle-back, and the slim straight. They've also got the buckle-back on sale on their website for £120 - but they're only £80 in store... The slim straights were more, but can't remember how much. Sorry.

So, my bucklebacks has pushed into their second month, and these babies might be hankdyed but the fading is coming along nice and quick.

The greencast is quite evident wherever there is fading and i'm pretty sure that they will be gorgeous at month 3 when it's time for their first wash.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

On another note, has anyone experience with their "redcast" denim?

So, my bucklebacks has pushed into their second month, and these babies might be hankdyed but the fading is coming along nice and quick.

The greencast is quite evident wherever there is fading and i'm pretty sure that they will be gorgeous at month 3 when it's time for their first wash.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

On another note, has anyone experience with their "redcast" denim?

Yes, and the red cast fade fairly quickly too. If you look at an individual thread, like at the end of the belt loops, the thread is much lighter at the core than on the surface. Nothing dark like the Jomon or SDA xxx-28, but I think the Kato color will be nice.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So i washed my bucklebacks for the first time after 3 months of wear.

I can't even reckonize my dear soft jeans from before!

All stiff and rigid.

I guess i'll have to go a week wheer i can actually feel them before they become nice and soft again.

I'll have some pics up tomorow hopefully. Beautiful vertical fading and nice traintracks)

Also.. am i the only one who only gets whiskers on one of the legs (left in my case).

Hello Opie,

bomberairport.co.uk is long dead, sorry we may have an online sample sale on with the European Kato site, but not sure.

the old-new feel after the wash is mainly due to the organics, untreated cottons revert when washed a little. the colour lose is due to the traditional locking of the indigo, could BORE you with it, but already posted on here ages ago so I'm sure you not interested!

Slub,

sorry I can't say who sells Kato, last time I did that I was told I was advertising, so all I can say is check the website, for stockists, can't tell you the website as I'll be advertising again......

issues on issues with SuFu

I can say the left leg whiskers may have something to do with your right brain lobe....I've noticed most people whisker more on one side than the other, I checked this with a few friends (most thought I was weird for asking, but some agreed/noticed) did a little research, and we all have something call lode domination, it affect the way we do everything, right down to the way your body moves. it's all very boring but in short you're favoring your left side as you move, most likely, means you have a very personal wear marks on your KATO's.....

love to see them, have a buckle back myself but always want to see others use/wear shapes, tells a lot about the wearer, all mine have the right back pocket worn through (keys) and left back has a very nice off centre diamond wear shape from my card wallet and I always rub through the right leg mid thigh (key-chain)..sorry... please post them, it may help future denims

thanks again for your surport

Neil

You actually made me look stupid when you started talking about the fading, and i really nee dto state that i know how it works, hah!

The thing with the brain, though, will baffle me forever, and i'll probably find a clever friend and ask him/her about it.

Slab, here's one store that sells Kato. In japanese ofc, but quite easy to navigate and most of the stuff they sell is to kill for.

Now i just need to get an answer about those damn MOTO dessert boots from them.. http://titicaca-kato.com/

• 3 weeks later...
Neil,

Do you have regular Kato sample sales in London. A friend of mine told me about one he went to and got a great bargain on a jacket. Is there an email list for us to be notified of these?

If any of you are in London, I just got back from Shoreditch, where there's a mixed-label sample sale at 29 Charlotte Road. There was a small rail of Kato jackets and shirts, and a small pile of trousers and some denim. Shirts included the two-tone chambray shirts currently on sale at Oki-Ni - but for 60 pounds rather than nearly 200, and some oversized flannels in large sizes. Some very interesting jackets, in wool and navy cotton twill; trousers were buckleback, some wide leg, some narrow, in navy blue, grey, and sand, all cotton. Denim was piled into a display cage - sorry, didn't investigate, and only saw a large label saying 'red cast denim'. All at about 70 per cent off, by the looks of things.

Obviously I had my head in my ass, so I forgot to ask how much longer it's on for (it will have closed for the day today), but it would be well worth going there tomorrow to see what's left.