Kato denim

Neilfuji

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

had to go back a long way to ressurect this thread. I notice that superdenim is again carrying kato; except it is now kato aaa. I have a pair of kato red cast - never crazy about the cut with low back pockets (looks like you're sagging) but the natural indigo color is very nice. interested to see the new stuff.

Those 5 pocket jeans look distinctly conservative compared to their previous offerings I've seen. I was always interested in this brand but could never really justify a pair in my wardrobe, as I don't think I'd have worn them on a regular basis.

I was stoked to see superdenim were carrying Kato again. Didn't Neil Fuji leave to start his own design company?

I keep wearing my pair from back in 2008 and really like the denim and the slightly odd cut.I'm tempted by the kato aaa ones, though I cant afford them!

I think theyre a take on levis 66 cut, does anyone know any more?

just looking at the kato japanese site - it looks like they're about £184 with tax (approx $298).

I messaged lewis at superdenim uk about a W34 but they dont have one in stock. however, he says the sizing on the waist of the 36 is 35. (I hadnt seen the post about the thighs etc or would have asked about the cut a bit more.)

Just noticed kato are also doing a cut-off buckleback...always a little bit different!

hey lance, thanks for resurrecting this thread, its great to have a kato buzz going again.

the site is http://kato-aaa.jp

and there's a button for online shopping. Discovered it yesterday; I hadn't realised they had such a wide collection.

it looks like 'aaa' is the distinctive 'vintage with a twist' house style.

• 5 weeks later...

I feel you guys and I must admit that my heart bled a little when I cut the sleeves off. But they were just too damn tight and I still wanted to keep the jacket badly. Now I can wear it and personally I can live with the looks. To me that's better than to just leave it hanging in the closet or sell it off.

• 5 years later...

I was sitting in the sun, trying to stay warm (and failing) in FL wearing my Kato Red Cast Double Pot Dipped (whatever BS that was) jeans and couldn't resist taking a couple pics of the denim. Had to go back to page 11, last post June 11, 2012, to find Kato. These Ai dyed jeans are very comfortable and have faded unlike most other natural indigo dyed denim.

Edit: thanks for the rep, guys. slowdownarthur, it’s hard to believe, but I just followed your link above and Kato is still out there, bigger than ever and so is ARN Mercantile. Wonder if neilfuji is still involved? Just answered my own question, Nielfuji and his wife own and operate ARN Mercantile.

IMG_0510.thumb.JPG.9ed2cd2bd35c719ba7921688e1a9b5c7.JPG    IMG_0507.thumb.JPG.0eeb266a0cd8627ee82a449f911f927b.JPG  IMG_0513.thumb.JPG.1564958c130972ba49323880809a6554.JPG

Edited by lance

Thanks for resurrecting this thread (again!) Lance:) Your jeans are looking nicely worn in.

I'm still wearing my two pairs, a buckleback and a 3D cut. Like you say, so comfortable. Something special about Kato...

Yes, they're still out there. I'm quite tempted to get another pair, maybe one of their more conservative (as Maynard says ^back in this thread) 5 pocket jeans. I like the colour contrast between the zimbabwean cotton and the rich orange thread. That, and a certain quirkiness.

I've been following neilfuji on Instagram for quite a while. It looks like he's back into production again after a long holiday...love to see what he does. I have a Submariner's jacket from ARN, much loved.

Hey slowdownarthur, good to hear from you. I hadn’t remembered Neilfuji and ARN Mercantile until again posting in the Kato thread. His site and outlook are very interesting; looking forward to the store coming online. Looking forward to pics of your Kato jeans and ARM jacket too! :)

11 hours ago, slowdownarthur said:

I've been following neilfuji on Instagram for quite a while. It looks like he's back into production again after a long holiday...love to see what he does. I have a Submariner's jacket from ARN, much loved.

what's his insta name?