Calgary...worth a shot?

Guest StuckOnStupid

Guest StuckOnStupid

Long time lurker, first time poster here...

this may not be the forum, but I need some of the alberta heads here to give me some info about Calgary...going there for a job interview from toronto...gimme the goods on shopping, the party scene, etc...

ive lived in NYC and toronto....am i gonna want to run home as soon as i get there or what?

mods feel free to chastise me and/or move this post to another forum.

If you go there thinking that you are going to run back home, you will. Hmm, you are coming out west, we like our conservative values, and hate the Leafs...But Calgary is turning into quite the economic centre, and with this prosperity has come nice places to eat and such, and expensive like we in Alberta have never seen housing.

for one the shopping BLOWS compared to NYC and Toronto... but you gotta figure that. we have a few great clubs emerging in the last few years...good ones.. not shitty pop garbage.. we have those too. Calgary is an amazing city as far as settling down and making really good money. its super clean, good transportation and etc. however if you are coming here to shoot the shit and have fun... go to van

for one the shopping BLOWS compared to NYC and Toronto... but you gotta figure that. we have a few great clubs emerging in the last few years...good ones.. not shitty pop garbage.. we have those too. Calgary is an amazing city as far as settling down and making really good money. its super clean, good transportation and etc. however if you are coming here to shoot the shit and have fun... go to van

I agree this place is to make money and have a career not to live the relaxed slightly hippy lifestyle of the west coast. The mountains are close and Hongcouver is a short flight away so if you're making good money you'll still be able to enjoy yourself. I get a bit tired of everything here but all in all it's not so bad.

Come out for a few years make some cash and decide from there.

HiFI is one of the few good clubs I'll actually go to there are however lots of good resturants and lounges. Yeah and if you don't have a place lined up or have some serious cash to buy a place look out. A starter home in a new area will cost you around $320,000 and you'll have to wait at least 9 months for it to be completed. I saw an article in the paper basically saying if you don't have a place to live don't even come here. I have a good three friends trying to get me to line them something up in my building but nothing is avaliable.

Deathmullet I don't have myspace but people are hounding me to get it, so if I do I'll pm you.

Last time I was there was in August and my friend had no problem finding a cheaper, rather large duplex. Location was close to Kensington so I was quite shocked at how inexpensive it was.

'Haven't been to many bars there, did check out a show at Broken City, not the greatest venue but good food!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Montreal
HiFI is one of the few good clubs I'll actually go to there are however lots of good resturants and lounges. Yeah and if you don't have a place lined up or have some serious cash to buy a place look out. A starter home in a new area will cost you around $320,000 and you'll have to wait at least 9 months for it to be completed. I saw an article in the paper basically saying if you don't have a place to live don't even come here. I have a good three friends trying to get me to line them something up in my building but nothing is avaliable.

Deathmullet I don't have myspace but people are hounding me to get it, so if I do I'll pm you.

My brother's friend found a house for sale in Calgary. He was on a plane within 5 hours of finding the house. By the time he landed, the house had sold. Since he was already in the city, he decided to buy the next house he found. That's the mentality in Calgary right now.. buy, buy, buy. It's quite rediculous. I personally think Calgary is over-valued. Aside from the fact that their economy is basically going to piggy-back Canada for the next god knows how many years, there is nothing attractive about Calgary.

The housing market is slowing down, a bit, but the economy's pretty much humming as ever, even with oil down somewhat.

I haven't looked that hard I must admit, but where are there Nudies besides that place by Jugo Juice (Brooklyn Clothing I think) in Kensington? Is APC anywhere to be found?

Man, I paid around the same price (actually more than that) for mine off of their web storefront. Thanks very much customs. I'm surprised that Holt would carry apc though - most of the jeans I see in there have either weird washes or look at my ass backpocket stitching. I wonder how well that will work out for them...

• 4 months later...