Other "Selvages"

Geowu

Sometimes the warm sound etc tube amps give is considered like an additive to the music since it is not in the music at all ..

Depends on who's listening and what music you are listening to I guess , but tube amps aint for me at all ..

Wow. This thread is the story of my life. Tube amps, guitars, jeans, wine, Mechanical watches, vinyl... I feel like I have come full circle with all of it. For guitar and bass, it is tube amps only, for home audio, I used to have a pair of McIntosh MC30s that were quite nice, but these days my Bryston suits me just fine. I used to be a set neck gibson freak, but now I love teles. I used to be a vinly only guy, but now it is all about Scratch Live. Super Tuscans and Howell Mountain cabs to Nero D'Avola and Cru Boujolais. It is very dificult and takes a lot of unnecessary energy to be a quality hound, but through it all, you you will figure out what works.

Trust someone to bring bands into this, a debate where there will never be a clear cut 'selvedge'. But if anything would be selvedge, I reckon it'd be vintage live recordings of seriously amazing shows, such as found on Zeppelin's How The West Was Won, not some contemporary CD by Mogwai.

To continue:

Real analogue audio components compared to digital audio components, from synths to compressors - assuming they're very high quality analogue, mind you. In this day and age of 32 bit digital audio, you need some seriously expensive hardware to beat it. A quality Minimoog is definitely equivalent to finding some great deadstock big E 501s.

80s cartoons. I will personally kick anyone up the arse who contests that Transformers & Thundercats weren't part of the golden age of children's entertainment.

Guest jeffvyain

analog certainly will never be close to as quiet as any form of 16, 24, or 32-bit digital (by the way, who's doing 32-bit?) but digital will never have the feel of analog. regardless, analog can be such a pain in the ass, it's hardly ever worth it unless you really need that sound and need it bad.

I'd much rather have a quality minimoog than any pair of jeans.

Good analogue stuff can be awesomely quiet. Can't remember his name, read an article a while back, but one of the top mixers/masterers of hiphop records in the US uses an almost entirely analogue array of seriously expensive valvestate compressors and stuff. Digital compressors sound like crap by comparison, even the ones with valve emulation and stuff.

Guest jeffvyain

oh no, i totally agree with analog components being quiet. I was talking about analog recording (tape machines vs pro tools, etc.). I pretty much hate compression for the most part, regardless; however, if I'm going to use it, usually I prefer to just pump whatever track it is through an LA-2A. two knobs, great sound, no bullshit.

oh no, i totally agree with analog components being quiet. I was talking about analog recording (tape machines vs pro tools, etc.). I pretty much hate compression for the most part, regardless; however, if I'm going to use it, usually I prefer to just pump whatever track it is through an LA-2A. two knobs, great sound, no bullshit.

Agreed. Noone is seperating me from Logic Pro any time soon, but then my only two options for recording half my work are a) pirate the Vienna Symphonic Library or B) hire an orchestra.

french wine vs. new world wine (west coast u.s., chile, argentina, etc...)

i'd say this is a more accurate selvage/non-selvage relationship than beer. Czech beer is so fundamentally different than Belgian beer that you'd be hard pressed to say that one even influenced the other (each has serious historical roots as well). But with wine, you have much newer vinyards in California, Oregon, Chile, etc. trying to replicate climatic conditions a techniques that have been perfected over centuries in France. Do they sometimes produce better results? for sure, just as some projectile loom denim is better quality than its shuttle loom/selvage predecessor, but across the board, i'll take a subtle, balanced Bordeaux over a huge, overdone Cabernet from Sonoma almost always.

i see broken social scene as the nudie RRDS (beautiful, yet still very available, somepoeple say that they are too hyped up but seriously, BSS rocks like no other and i dont care how hyped up it is, it is still amazing...just like nudie)

Sigur Ros= apc definitely, consistant, and not super exclusive but still beautiful none the less

Mars Volta= Dior homme. rock out like no other, yet still wwaaayyyy over hyped. but still some off the best mainstream style outhere.

Godspeed you! Black emporer= 45 rpm. the greatest of the greatest. nothing comes out more beautifully at the end of wearing these jeans for 2 years jsut like nothing is greater than waiting 45 minutes just for that one perfect rock out.

The stills- LVC. so catchy. but a classic, but in truth the stills arent classic at all, they just remind me of lvc.

fucking panic at the disco- diesel. because everyone and their mom loves diesel. usually more than their mom. but anyone with some godam sense in their skull knows that diesel died long ago. and if youre lucky enough to find some nice vintage selvage diesel youve done something beautiful but other than that its all over priced and overstyled. maybe its just that i hate panic at the disco i dont know.

TMV mainstream!? I can't believe I just read that. They have like no songs on the radio and no videos. Additionally, making 32 & 16.5 minute long songs are far from mainstream.

I wouldn't consider them overhyped either, but eh, everyones got an opinion.

P.S. I love The Mars Volta

80s cartoons. I will personally kick anyone up the arse who contests that Transformers & Thundercats weren't part of the golden age of children's entertainment.

I love the transformers.The original is classic but those other series don't really measure up...is anyone else excited for the movie?

french wine vs. new world wine (west coast u.s., chile, argentina, etc...)

i'd say this is a more accurate selvage/non-selvage relationship than beer. Czech beer is so fundamentally different than Belgian beer that you'd be hard pressed to say that one even influenced the other (each has serious historical roots as well). But with wine, you have much newer vinyards in California, Oregon, Chile, etc. trying to replicate climatic conditions a techniques that have been perfected over centuries in France. Do they sometimes produce better results? for sure, just as some projectile loom denim is better quality than its shuttle loom/selvage predecessor, but across the board, i'll take a subtle, balanced Bordeaux over a huge, overdone Cabernet from Sonoma almost always.

French v. New world wine is more like old Levi's v. all other quality denim. Sure Levi's came first and made some fantastic jeans but there are a lot of recent manufacturers that make equal to or better jeans. In wine, there is a long history of great French wines (first growth Bordeax, grand cru Burgundies, Hermitage, Cote Rotie, Chateauneuf du Pape, etc.) that continue to this day. But to say that new world wine regions don't put up the same level of quality (or dare I say, better?) is ridiculous. The race to find the next France has long been abandoned in favor of a more level-headed approach to recognize that there are a great many terroirs in the world for making great wine, only one of them being France. No one is trying to "replicate clamatic conditions" of France. First, because it is impossible. Vineyard managers may want their vineyards to be planted in the same latitude as Bordeax, Burgundy, etc. or look for similar degree-day conditions or even similar soil composition but these vineyard managers aren't fooling themselves into thinking they are going to replicate Chambertin in the Santa Lucia Highlands. Second, like I said before, wine-makers are more concerned with expressing the terroir they have than the terroir they want to have. Ever since the 1976 Judgment of Paris, the wine-making world has turned their head from trying to copy France and, instead, start focusing on the greatness that the individual plots of land have to offer.

Can great French wines be subtle, complex, and mind-blowing wines? Of course. But so can new world wines. Try some old Cali Cab examples like BV Georges de la Tour pre-1980, Mayacams pre-1980, Chateau Montelena, and Mondavi Reserve Cab before Michael Mondavi got ahold of the winery and you will see that not only are these wines age-worthy but they can be as compelx and subtle as any French wine. From Australia, Penfold's Grange has long been a standard of greatness and there is no reason to believe that current Aussies won't achieve the same quality.

To make an already long story short, it is one thing to say that you prefer Bordeaux over an "overdone" California Cab, it is another to say that California cabs pale in comparison to Bordeaux. And that ends the wine geek rant.

Godspeed you! Black emporer= 45 rpm. the greatest of the greatest. nothing comes out more beautifully at the end of wearing these jeans for 2 years jsut like nothing is greater than waiting 45 minutes just for that one perfect rock out.

I...I love you.

I'll take this a step further...

A Silver Mount Zion is the guy on the street corner that handmade his selvedge jeans in his basement, tailored specifically to fit you.

:D