Other "Selvages"

Geowu

Have you ever wondered what's the "selvage" in other areas, in other products, in other clothing items? We are all connoisseurs, I believe, when it comes to denim. There are people who know all about wine, like we about denim, and maybe they know nothing about denim and just wear anything cheap, or even something expensive we would consider no good. So, maybe we know all about denim, but know nothing when it comes to wine, you know what I'm trying to say? Maybe we don't know much about the "selvage" in things other than denim, or do we?

What would you consider "selvage" (or best quality option) in other areas? (loopwheeler-like t-shirts? redmoon-like wallets? etc.)

an obvious one is full canvassing vs fused canvassing which many don't know about in the construction of suits

but just like jeans that are non-selvage can still be good, so can suits that are fused, but the full canvassing is def a sign of quality.

the method of attaching the soles on leather shoes & boots is another area

In terms of aesthetics, bolt on necks on guitars versus single piece construction springs to mind.

Keeping on a musical tip what with it being my field, the particular resonant quality of certain vintage wood & construction makes some instruments such as clarinets and particularly violins far more desirable than others, into astronomical ranges with vintage Stradivarius violins compared to the price of a greatly desirable brass 1960s Selmer Mark 6 saxophone.

i use a safety razor too, blades are way cheaper and shaves so much better...

manual transmission with a real clutch paddel vs automatic or sequential manual...

mechanical throttle vs drive-by-wire...

Guest Fade to Black

Cigars....despite what many Americans will tell you, Cubans are still better than non-Cuban cigars (although less consistent in construction...so in that way maybe they're not quite the 'selvedge' of cigars).

45 RPM = Partagas (not the MOST famous brand, but for my money the best all around quality...the PSD4 is the Sorahiko, the PSD4 Reserva is the Jomon)

Dior Homme = Cohiba (Still good, but hyped up more than it's actual worth)

Diesel = Montecristo (the name is still out there and arguably the most recognizable brand, but sharp dip in quality in recent years)

APC = Vegas Robaina (consistent quality for its price, always a reliable staple)

Keeping with DDML's audiophile theme, moving coil vs. moving magnet cartridges in turntables. MM would be non selvedge, MC would be selvedge. Not always the most practical route but the connoiseurs swear by them.

Next time I beat myself up for spending so much cash on denim I'll browse a page of handmade MC carts to justify that there are other crazies in other walks of life too :)

To answer Geowu's question, 45 rpm makes bandanas that have a selvage edge on one side. Other than that and some workchore things (work aprons, denim jackets, and western shirts) I can't say that I've really seen much things with the typical redline selvage we associate with jeans.

See the right side of the bandana? That's the selvage.

g_bluedetail_large.jpg

Re read the post, sorry. Anyway, I guess 45 rpm (no pun) record players are considered the selvage in the audio world. To me, anything compared to selvage needs to be vintage in a way and out of date prodcution-wise according to today's standards.

Vinyl >>>>> CDs.

Atari >>>>>>> Xbox 360

Acoustic Blues >>>>>>>>> electric Blues

as has been discussed here and everywhere else; shell cordovan vs. cowhide (???) Looking for the right pair of cordos for myself...

plain old film vs. digital cameras... though I confess I haven't touched the former in this decade....

how about road bikes:

lugged-steel frame > tig welded aluminum, bonded carbon, etc.

the lugged steel frame has died out in the peloton, but you have guys like Richard Sachs who will custom build you a sized, lugged, steel frame for $2400 (and he has a 2 year waiting list)

The stuff on www.richardsachs.com is just as droolworthy as a lot of the jeans I see on here.

how about road bikes:

lugged-steel frame > tig welded aluminum, bonded carbon, etc.

the lugged steel frame has died out in the peloton, but you have guys like Richard Sachs who will custom build you a sized, lugged, steel frame for $2400 (and he has a 2 year waiting list)

The stuff on www.richardsachs.com is just as droolworthy as a lot of the jeans I see on here.

While you're at it I would say Keirin frames/NJS parts have similarities with the whole japanese premium correlation.

Tube amps are better than solid state ?

Hmph ..

Tube amps sound so warm and full but if a company does solid state right it really wouldn't matter in my opinion. I would kill for an Ampeg SVT classic 8x10 halfstack or an Aguilar 8x10 halfstack.Along with that goes:

Active vs. Inactive pre-amps

Toroidal vs. non-Toroidal transformers

Thru-body vs. Top load

Gold input jacks vs. everything else

Guest jeffvyain

analog vs digital

tape>radar>pro tools

somewhat agree with the tube amps vs. solid state. a solid will never break up like a tube does, but that's not to say that a solid is necessarily a better amp...just different. but for the dynamic player who wants to be able to change the sonal quality of his instrument without messing with his settings, the tube will never be matched.

I would consider bands such as Sigur Ros, Broken Social Scene, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Fugazi, Destroyer, etc... to be "selvedge" while most of what's played on the radio to be crap.

i see broken social scene as the nudie RRDS (beautiful, yet still very available, somepoeple say that they are too hyped up but seriously, BSS rocks like no other and i dont care how hyped up it is, it is still amazing...just like nudie)

Sigur Ros= apc definitely, consistant, and not super exclusive but still beautiful none the less

Mars Volta= Dior homme. rock out like no other, yet still wwaaayyyy over hyped. but still some off the best mainstream style outhere.

Godspeed you! Black emporer= 45 rpm. the greatest of the greatest. nothing comes out more beautifully at the end of wearing these jeans for 2 years jsut like nothing is greater than waiting 45 minutes just for that one perfect rock out.

The stills- LVC. so catchy. but a classic, but in truth the stills arent classic at all, they just remind me of lvc.

fucking panic at the disco- diesel. because everyone and their mom loves diesel. usually more than their mom. but anyone with some godam sense in their skull knows that diesel died long ago. and if youre lucky enough to find some nice vintage selvage diesel youve done something beautiful but other than that its all over priced and overstyled. maybe its just that i hate panic at the disco i dont know.

Tube amps sound so warm and full but if a company does solid state right it really wouldn't matter in my opinion. I would kill for an Ampeg SVT classic 8x10 halfstack or an Aguilar 8x10 halfstack.Along with that goes:

Active vs. Inactive pre-amps

Toroidal vs. non-Toroidal transformers

Thru-body vs. Top load

Gold input jacks vs. everything else

I don't know if an 8x10" is really considered a halfstack.. my band would scream at me if I tried to bring 2 of them with me.

also, here's what was in my living room for a bit:

beast.jpg

The head is a '69 SVT, the cab is a '70. The head belongs to my roommate, but my actual head is a not-so-slouchy Mesa 400 (The old kind with the SVT-like power stage, not the "guitar amp on steroids" power stage that the 400+s have) If I turn up past 4, people get bummed.

I played an SVT 4 (hybrid) for a bit. I fucking hated that. It's like going direct, just really fucking loud. Those amps have no personality whatsoever.