Ever been in a fraternity or use to be or still are?

thelion1856

If you've never been a brother in one you don't know. Its not what you read about. Its not like Old School. I feel like I'm defending the X-Men... people fear what they don't understand!

thats like saying, someone shouldn't be a music critic unless they play in a band...and your analogy is already conceding that you are a mutant

My cousin is a lambda at UCSB. And my sister was in some sorority at UCLA forgot which one, the one that you imagine the girls from the Mean Girls movie being in haha.

I'd like to join a fraternity but I'm not into the whole pledging thing. My cousin went through a lot of abuse and I'm the type of guy if someone punches me i'll punch you back. I find Lambda's or maybe most frats pledging methods to be inappropriate.

thats like saying, someone shouldn't be a music critic unless they play in a band...and your analogy is already conceding that you are a mutant

Um... not really. They call 'em secret societies for a reason. People who critique music know a decent amount about it. If you don't know what they do, what they stand for, why they do it, and how they do it... what do you really know about fraternity life?

i guess so.... i'm just curious as my school didn't have frats...but i mean, whats the difference between living with the same kids you went through shit with and kids you hazed with/got hazed by in a house paid for by your alumni anyhow? in no way am i judging frat culture, but people make it out to be the biggest deal ever, like if you weren't in a frat you're missing out on an amazing experience that should define your life, but in 10 years, you end up seeing your friends you made in college regardless if you were in a frat or not, except now you have a house to party at for homecoming and you might see some sort of blind brotherhood with people that are allowed into your chapter...

i don't know, everyone i know that's pledged and lived greek life, 4 years out of college now don't think that its a big deal now that they're out of college...

• 2 weeks later...

i'm in Lambda Chi Alpha -- we're a top tier fraternity where i go to school by greek life standards, but i find myself getting further and further away from that scene because the guys are so into projecting that southern fratty mentality. ya know, the ones that wear only polo, lacoste, brooks bros etc and wear sunglasses around their necks on croakies pretending to be high society and better than everyone else, will only associate with the chi-o's and tridelts etc -- which is all fine and dandy, but its a little too immature and superficial to me. i'm one of the old guys, and when i started out we were known as the nice guys, now we're big and bad pretentious frat guys. oh well it works out for all the young guys who define their success by those particular standards.