Luxury Hotel, London (for the girlfriend)

Swych

Depends what else you're going to be doing in London really, if you're taking her out in the evening you're probably going to want to plan the hotel around that to some extent.

My personal luxury favourites include:

The 41 Hotel - SW1

Pure luxury, like a modern members club with traditional values - expensive, but worth it no matter what type of room you stay in.

Lots of high rollers and sex in the city types tend to stay here.

Prices are likely to be starting from £250+ per night if you shop around on the net.

41 Hotel Website

The Russell Hotel - WC1

It's the beautiful red building in Russell Square, just as striking inside, especially the ballroom. Highly recommended - although I haven't stayed there since it changed hands.

A very traditional hotel, all sorts of people stay there.

Prices from under £90 for standard rooms, but higher up the scale they have either classic style period rooms or luxury modern rooms with modern art and huge plasma screens, they're probably more like £150-£200 per night, but it's worth phoning and haggling (online sites don't give you many options on room types).

Russell Hotel Website

The Rookery - EC1

Small traditional hotel in Farringdon, open fires, antique furniture you get the picture - very gentleman's club. No kitchen though, so you'll have to get food from one of Farringdon's many excellent places to eat.

Prices from around £100 I would imagine.

Rookery Hotel Website

depends on what you want to pay and how luxury :)

if you're looking for something like a 4 star place in the <£200 range, I think Radisson Sussex is pretty good and they have some decent deals. we paid about 150 for a deluxe room with a king bed, and the location is of course outstanding. refurbished quite recently so in nice shape, somewhat trendy etc.

for something a bit more expensive, Firmdale has a couple of really nice smaller places, a friend of mine was in the Soho one and said it was awesome. they also have a nice one in Covent Garden and a more traditional one in Knightsbridge.

then theres of course Sanderson which I've wanted to go to but haven't yet, should be nice and uber-trendy.

hey guys thanks you 2 for swift responses. your links were AWESOME and made the research alot easier.

some of these look so sexy (not just for the weekend- i'm an architecture student) and the Sanderson simply rocks. if you have any other suggestions for a swanky weekend, do tell. Price isn't an issue right now (i'm sensible enough to cut down at the right places), just need the ideas (aaaaah the Sanderson). cheers guys!

in that case I'd say the Sanderson would be something that you'd like, definately very modern and interesting architectually and design wise, and very trendy of course. then theres of course St. Martins Lane which I'm sure you'd enjoy too, its a Morgan hotel like Sanderson.

the Firmdale Soho is also very interesting design wise, seems like a combination of traditional and modern.

I'm sure any of these would be a great choice!

I've heard alot about St Martin's lane.

but is Sanderson newer? Damn I can't decide between Sanderson and St Martin's Lane. They're so similar (same group I guess)... You guys got any more advice. If it were up to you what would you do Mike, and why St Martin's Lane to live in Sybatrical?

I second St Martin's lane.

And eat at Sketch.

Sanderson is newer, I think it was opened in 00 and St. Martins Lane around 99, only about a half year difference though. both are Morgan Hotels.

I think I'd pick Sanderson, I think they're fairly similar (well not similar but same concept and style) but somehow I find Sanderson more appealing. I haven't stayed in either one though. both are great location wise.

yeah i picked because of location. (otherwise it woulda been the rookery for me)

i think the only good thing going for st martin's lane right now is that its room changes colour (thats pretty sweet... sorry cheap thrills) and well... the sanderson site doesnt show pics of a standard room. half the people arent gonna stay in the penthouse so i dont know why they're showing it off

the sanderson site doesnt show pics of a standard room. half the people arent gonna stay in the penthouse so i dont know why they're showing it off

thats really annoying when some hotels do that, even just a single pic would help..

• 1 month later...

Guys thx for all your help.

Ended up staying in the Sanderson.

Had a drink at the Purple Bar, which played some nice chilled music that was very apt for the couples flirting in there and the ambience was perfect for that. Mojito's there were one of the best I've ever had.

The hotel room was amazing, really good for a short stay. The first thing I noticed was teh lack of storage space (hanger space), but that didnt' matter for me. I stayed in a deluxe room with a king bed, which was awesome because it was set at an angle in the middle of the room, wit hthe desk directly behind it. This is cool because the desk is completley hidden, and the only thing that catches your attentoin after walking through the wispy curtains is the bed, and the bed only in a starkly white room (no pun intended).

Checked out the spa too. The decor was just like the rest of the St Martins Lane/ Sanderson style with billowy curtains all over except the actual facilities were slightly lackign for the price paid. The locker room only had showers and a steam room (no tubs/ relaxation area!). Maybe I'm from Asia and am used to quality spa services, but I found the massage to be inferior to what I've experienced in the past.

All in all a great experience, if you can deal with the $$. I barely survived it. Thanks again everyone, and especially Mike for watching this thread so closely and helping out so much.