Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

Fit on the indigo SG crews is my favorite in regards to how it fits me, and it seems to be really really good on most other people too.  I think I'm going to pick up a black SG crew as well, and see what kind of measures it takes to get it to shrink to the extent that the indigo dyed one has.  

Fit on the indigo SG crews is my favorite in regards to how it fits me, and it seems to be really really good on most other people too.  I think I'm going to pick up a black SG crew as well, and see what kind of measures it takes to get it to shrink to the extent that the indigo dyed one has.  

has your SG indigo crew shrunk at all? i've not washed mine yet and don't want it to shrink a cm as it fits perfectly as is. when i was it i'll do a cold wash and let it hang dry.

That's interesting, I actually noticed about a half-size worth of shrinkage when I cold-washed and hung-dry my SG hoodie. I originally bought a large which fit perfectly, but exchanged it for an XL when I got scared about shrinkage. The XL was a bit big at first, but after washing it fit very slghtly larger than the large did, which I was happy with.

i believe that the indigo dyed ones aren't supposed to shrink anymore, especially with a cold wash  (i think they're washed once + the dying process shrinks them)

That is correct, the hoodie I was referring to is a black one. Interestingly, I think the indigo ones are actually more able to stretch out a bit with wear, as they've been shrunk to their absolute max.

Edited by skurlandski

Can anyone comment on Real McCoy vs Strike Gold vs Iron Heart sweats relative to one another (sizing etc). SG crews fit a little tighter in general? What kind of shrinkage can you expect in the Real McCoys and Iron Hearts?

Basically I'm trying to decide if I want to pick up a SG crew in grey and black; or pick up the SG crew in black and a Real McCoy crew in grey.

Edited by harorld

has your SG indigo crew shrunk at all? i've not washed mine yet and don't want it to shrink a cm as it fits perfectly as is. when i was it i'll do a cold wash and let it hang dry.

It'll shrink to how it fit when you first put it on, but it'll stretch back. 

Can anyone comment on Real McCoy vs Strike Gold vs Iron Heart sweats relative to one another (sizing etc). SG crews fit a little tighter in general? What kind of shrinkage can you expect in the Real McCoys and Iron Hearts?

Basically I'm trying to decide if I want to pick up a SG crew in grey and black; or pick up the SG crew in black and a Real McCoy crew in grey.

Speaking about IH & RMcC loopwheeled sweats:

RMcC is brushed inside, softer handfeel/touch, fabric seems to be a tiny bit lighter than IH (please note that I refer to the McCoy loopwheeled sweater, not to the BallPark 12oz or any other Real McCoy/Joe McCoy sweater - they are not loopwheeled)

Fit & patter:

IH has a "straighter" shoulder line and straighter cut - McC is more fitted in the waist and sleeve cuffs, has lower/deeper neckline...

L1016138_zpse40201c4.jpg

L1016139_zps1f196f9c.jpg

L1016140_zps6f107fb7.jpg

L1016141_zps353c0e44.jpg

Comparing size M with 38

Edited by Foxy2

Hoping somebody can give me a good tip. I bought the Strike Gold crew in grey, size medium. The fit was 100% perfect out of the box, which alarmed me but I figured I'd give it a shot. Wore it half a dozen times and then did a cold wash + hang dry and the shrink was unfortunately too much. I think I lost about 2.5 inches in body length? Too short in the body and sleeves, a tad snug in the chest, and little change in the shoulders.

I'm tempted to try a large now, but I'm also wondering if I should be looking for a sweatshirt that's gonna have a longer body off the bat (got a long torso). Ive seen people say sizing up too much makes the sweat just look sloppy. My measured chest is 38" so I'm usually between a small and a medium US. I'm just already spoiled by that awesome SG fabric...

Hoping somebody can give me a good tip. I bought the Strike Gold crew in grey, size medium. The fit was 100% perfect out of the box, which alarmed me but I figured I'd give it a shot. Wore it half a dozen times and then did a cold wash + hang dry and the shrink was unfortunately too much. I think I lost about 2.5 inches in body length? Too short in the body and sleeves, a tad snug in the chest, and little change in the shoulders.

I'm tempted to try a large now, but I'm also wondering if I should be looking for a sweatshirt that's gonna have a longer body off the bat (got a long torso). Ive seen people say sizing up too much makes the sweat just look sloppy. My measured chest is 38" so I'm usually between a small and a medium US. I'm just already spoiled by that awesome SG fabric...

Have you worn the sweatshirt much since you washed it?  The Strike Golds have a ton of potential for stretching once they've been shrunk....for the length you can get a good amount of stretch by pulling on it.

^^ SDA come out with an indigo dyed version every now and then, at least in the past they did...

^ muchos gracias senor! that was super helpful!! looks like i'm going to pick up one of each then! ps. would love to see the complete sweatshirt collection if you've already got a pic handy!

b212e2638c4d4c8140b3965af13fc33e_zps4a45

This what I have here - I got some more SDA pieces in Berlin...

Edited by Foxy2

Top row hoodies - all LoopWheeler

2nd row sweater - Iron Heart, Real McCoy, Buzz Rickson, LoopWheeler

Bottom row - National Anthem, Samurai

(2 of the sweats are not "loopwheeled")

foxy2, how is the sizing on the real McCoy and buzz rickson crew?

I wear a size small in ironheart shirts and sweats, but a medium in strike gold sweatshirts (and they fit perfectly). The length on my strike golds seems perfect around the 24-25 inch range. I have the strike gold crew in grey, black and indigo, but am kind of digging the color options with the samurai, real McCoy and buzz rickson...

Does anyone sport the real McCoy Henley thermal? It's gonna get super cold in the northeast over the next few weeks and I think I might need to add a couple of thermals to my collection. I was hoping to go with my usual iron heart western with a hoodie and my buzz ma-1 but the button down under the hoodie is pretty tight, and all of that stuffed into the buzz is way too tight.

Will probably have to go with a thermal under a hoodie or sweatshirt combo under the ma-1 on the super cold days.

Edited by harorld

foxy2, how is the sizing on the real McCoy and buzz rickson crew?

Sorry, only have Buzz Rickson measurements at hand:

Buzz Rickson Sweatshirt Size M

Chest - 21.75" / 21.25"

BL - 24.25" / 24"

SL - 26" (31" incl. shoulder)/- 25.5" (30.5")

SL (under the pit to cuff) - no pre-soak / 19/21" (w/o and with cuff)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried the Freewheelers Power Wear sweat? How does it compare with Strike Gold, Deluxeware and Real Mccoy's?

I'd also like opinion on the Dubbleworks sweats, they are quite cheap in comparison to the others.

Edited by sumpa

I'd recommend just wearing it and maybe stretching by pulling the fabric (one sleeve at time, body tube at time) and you'll be fine. Just don't go full hulk with it and rip the fabric.

I had same problem with my Merz. B. Schwanen sweatshirt and it stretched out just as it used to be. Though I made a mistake and washed it on normal cotton program = too warm.. And actually brainfarted and put it in the drier also... :wacko2:  Well, at least I learned something!

Comparing the "cheap"/regular McCoy sweater with the loop-wheeled one...

5be579aa77ea6a64ff0ce09d20785bdd_zps9462

Regular version:

de167b9f45ba5b846b0b9b5c281b563b_zpsc1ce

3beeb07efd8e81e67dbf8aa1e8ede8a1_zps456f

Loop-wheeled on top...tube construction for the body, better quality ribs, more fitted due to ribs, set-in sleeves. The regular version, raglan sleeves fits an entire size bigger.

68f8669cbfe1c8f67491698077d7392b_zpsf34b

b548b61d8cbcc2ad538d31ef16ce7336_zps67b9

881ac742fb7fa692aa914639edb46feb_zpsba75

db99b3c60bfed275b81d35c6169c99c8_zps1001

One is more brushed on the left side, both are on the mid weight side of things with no significant weight difference.

7716a5ead40980b330107c559cbc0b29_zpsceb2

cf7ca37ec47dd91e8ee7fb6e35f85517_zps33bf