Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

• 2 weeks later...
leaving the chainstitch runoff on the shirts are like the kids who leave the sticker on their caps and tags on their timberlands

At least it's a production mark, and not a brand label. I don't think this analogy fits. I kind of like the runoff.

silly futurians, you can't wear sweatshirts in houston…I'd get a heatstroke

Cut the sleeves off McQueen style.

I picked up a couple short sleeved vintage sweats recently. Pics soon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recent thrift find... I don't think it's any older than mid-80s, but super soft and warm. Great fit, too -- snug in the sleeves, a little looser in the chest.

Not sure if I can pull off the sorority design, but still... worth it for a buck.

d2WKj.jpg

cIUy8.jpg

• 2 months later...

^ damn, good price! someone should jump on this. I LOVE mine!

Just got this new to me vintage sweatshirt. I think it's late 60's/early 70's.

DSC_5471.jpg

DSC_5473.jpg

DSC_5488.jpg

Excuse the flabby chest... I'm out of shape.

DSC_5480.jpg

DSC_5482.jpg

I might let this one go. I don't know if I'm in love with the fit on me.

any decision? How much?

• 1 month later...

Just seen this on Ebay,

I doubt it's as old as they say, but lovely nevertheless. Just wish I were still 14 so I could fit it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1930s-Grey-Cotton-Sweatshirt-NOS-/270825260348?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item3f0e71853c

Just picked this up on Bum-bay.

I'd not heard of this brand before, and looking at the label, print & cuff logo it's probably not THAT old - thinking mid-late 70's?, but the style seems to be more 50's especially with the deep ribs.

Anyone know anything about this brand?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300603999726?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I think that was made by this brand who apparently invented the protective cup. They are now part of Russell and Spalding.

You might be able to find more by searching for their logos to determine when they stopped using that style of B on the sleeve. But I would guess you aren't far off in your estimate based on the way "Notre Dame" looks in both font and the way it was attached, but probably like somewhere in the 80s.

• 2 months later...

^ What's your budget like?

I'd go for Real McCoy, Toy's McCoy, Cushman, Deluxeware, etc if $ isn't an issue - all have solid builds, and the Real McCoy has a more "western" sizing if you're a bigger bloke. Toy's prints on the sweats are really good though, if you're into that.

^

I can concur regarding cushman and deluxeware (don't have experience with the mccoys and buzz). and let it be known that these aren't for the feint of heart. construction aside, these things hold in heat like no other. i have learned not to wear them to bars or parties where there are lots of people. it feels like you're in an oven.

i have heavy left field sweats as well. they are also EXTREMELY warm, but don't have the same type of material as the japenese brands mentioned.

Another good option is Studio D'Artisan, worth the price at RRP, but the great thing is they can be found on sale consistently.

Sizing is more generous than BR (in length and chest circumference), but is still "boxy".

Umm, off the top of my head Pants Shop Avenue and More-net have them on sale from time to time.

Can't go wrong with Pants Shop, they're like a friggin' SDA museum, and the store owner Naoki is a very nice bloke and has been in the denim business since the days of Canton & Big John.

SDA has two different lines for the sweats though - the regular ones and the Wakayama ones, which are more expensive with a nicer fabric but fits smaller.

Anyone interested in some cheap Buzz Ricksons' sweats from a year ago and before can check out SeaBees - not sure how much stock they have left though.

Edited by mikecch

where are these cushman's/ deluxeware found? i saw a cushman's and it looked super cool.

Your best place to get Deluxeware is from 2nd. Their site is: http://www.e2nd.net/. You can order via email or through Rakuten. They are really helpful and respond to questions quick, but you need to use google translate or something and communicate in japanese.

For Cushman, you can get it on Rakuten from a few shops such as Vari. But, you can shoot an email to John Lofgren at the Speedway Shop. Tell him what you want, and he can get it if Cushman has your size/color available. His email is: [email protected]. His shop is in Japan, but he is from the states with English as a first language. Use this site here to see what Cushman has: http://www.dont.co.jp/store/cushman/index.html