Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

And there seems to be a difference in length as well, which may be an issue for me. Have you noticed that the Barns sweats run longer?

straight from the rack I'd say yes but its hard to compare since I haven't washed my BR sweatshirt yet and don't know if the length will change. But the overall sizing is also different; I wear a small in Barns, a medium in BR

• 1 month later...

anyone with any experience with the PBJ indigo loopwheeled sweatshirts??

btw whats with the extra thread that sticks out from the end of some of the sweater's cuffs??? i dont quite get the point of them.

anyone can enlighten me?

btw whats with the extra thread that sticks out from the end of some of the sweater's cuffs??? i dont quite get the point of them.

anyone can enlighten me?

It's like chainstitch runoff on repro workshirts. Somebody (japanese) found a vintage shirt with the overlock runoff and, in their zeal to reproduce the garment exactly, left little bits poking off the end of the sleeves.

Or alternately, in their zeal to reproduce the shirt exactly, they used the exact same production techniques and found that there's a reason for things like that.

Back in the day runoff was a matter of efficient production. Pieces were often sewn in batches, like these fly-pieces being made for Rodeo Bill's Tender Co. blue jeans:

4574817435_572391cbf1.jpg

You can see how it would be more efficient to make a single cut between each piece, leaving some overlock runoff, than to make two cuts and leave relatively clean edges. It would even be more efficient to make two quick cuts, each leaving a little runoff, than to carefully cut as close to the fabric as possible, leaving no runoff. I speculate that essentially the same thing happened with vintage sweatshirts.

I also speculate that a little bit of runoff helps to prevent the stitch from unravelling. Don't know about that for sure though.

Here's a picture of a vintage Penny's Towncraft sweatshirt I have with overlock runoff:

Photo%20on%202010-10-05%20at%2009.58.jpg

my buzz sweat has the overlock runoff sewn back down to the cuff with a bar tack.... its not noticable unless you really look for it.

just found this at the thrift store for 2$ today...

dscf6976.jpg

4 needle flat seams

dscf6977g.jpg

inside is very soft... and the material is almost as thick as my buzz.. looks like its a cotton and acrylic blend...

dscf6978.jpg

4" cuffs

dscf6979r.jpg

and heres the fit

dscf6980.jpg

nice and slim... and long, so i can wear this one with lower rise jeans and not look like my swet shrunk in the wash.

yeah, there was another one there in a lighter weight material, and it was darker grey... but had shorter cuffs... same price too. im thinking i should have picked them both up. the grey color on the other one was cooler... reminded me of the j crew jaspe tees...

I would guess that's a 50/50 sweat from the late 70s/early 80s. Can't beat the classic gray. Nice score.

my buzz sweat has the overlock runoff sewn back down to the cuff with a bar tack.... its not noticable unless you really look for it.

just found this at the thrift store for 2$ today...

dscf6976.jpg

4 needle flat seams

dscf6977g.jpg

inside is very soft... and the material is almost as thick as my buzz.. looks like its a cotton and acrylic blend...

dscf6978.jpg

4" cuffs

dscf6979r.jpg

and heres the fit

dscf6980.jpg

nice and slim... and long, so i can wear this one with lower rise jeans and not look like my swet shrunk in the wash.

Hey guys,

i'm not too sure if these count as vintage sweatshirts but heres my pbj indigo loopwheeled sweat.

they've got overlock runoffs on the cuffs and back.

tell me what u think. cheers!

P1030969.jpg

not too sure where the stain on the right nip came from.. :(

• 1 month later...

Albam have just bought out a vintage (ish) style sweatshirt. Bought one yesterday (got 20% off, hurrah). Could do with being a bit shorter IMO but overall a good quality, very comfy day to day sweatshirt.

Ecru1.jpg

http://www.albamclothing.com/product.aspx?productid=329

Wore my SE x BR sweat today. I really thought the red was gonna be too bright, but after seeing it in person I love it. I wouldn't hesitate in ordering a plain red now if I had to replace this one.

Also thanks for those sending me advice on washing/cleaning tips.

care to share these washing tips?

• 2 weeks later...

im looking for a slim, vintage styled sweatshirt. anyone know if buzz, wh, or sda would be the best? im 6f, 140lbs. skinny (ish) and long sleeves would be dope. and whats buzz raglan?

im looking for a slim, vintage styled sweatshirt. anyone know if buzz, wh, or sda would be the best? im 6f, 140lbs. skinny (ish) and long sleeves would be dope. and whats buzz raglan?

true repro vintage style sweats are not cut to be slim, I'm 5'9 and the same weight this is my fit on a buzz medium...

2dse39w.jpg

nbpymb.jpg

b3prnk.jpg

as baldy said, they fit short and boxy, tighter around the waist band and cuffs (I don''t think many if any of the jp brands will have long sleeves either), but that's the intended look with a vintage/repro cut

Also...

anybody know if a lint roller would help remove some pilling? swapped for this on the market, previous owner washed it I guess and it resulted in a little (minor) pilling. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of it would be appreciated

so skinny and tall fucks me over again :D. oh well, maybe some company could help me out

Anyone here have any experience with Barns sweatshirts?

They're pretty awesome. Similar fit to Whitesville (also awesome). I have a black hoody in that greenish hue "vintage" black colour and I over-dyed it at a local dye shop to a true black. It is now officially my favourite zip-hoody. Construction is as you'd expect for the price and the material is heavy weight.

barns sweatshirts are really great value for your money. My buzz is warmer though.

btw anyone have experience with Toys Mccoy sweaters? They are a tad more expensive than Real Mccoys and wonder if the price tag is justified