Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

When did BiG move out of the USA? Seriously, WTF? That was the best denim shop in NYC. Oh, nevermind.

i guess i should have worded it ANYWHERE ELSE. my mistake

Here's a fit pic of the Garbstore crewneck. It's super slim and long, compared to a BR crewneck. I think it fits me well, but the waist is so slim that I had a hard time getting it over my shoulders. Construction is decent, about on par with my Left Field crewneck, and the fleece is heavy, but not quite as heavy as BR.

sweatks.jpg

Picked up one of these today. Far from a vintage sweatshirt, it has a nice fit though.

s7_980378_renderset_02?$main-Large$

Also got an old reverse weave champion sweatshirt from ebay.

Saving up for a buzz rickson

regarding other options for "vintage style" crewnecks:

i'm 6'1" ~200lbs and my true inseam is only about 30-31" - so i've got a pretty long torso. i went into BIG when i was in NYC in the fall with the express intent of finding the perfect crewneck sweatshirt. i tried on just about every brand they carry with crewnecks - buzz rickson, left field, SDA, and maybe samurai...

the quality was spectacular on all of them, though without any expert knowledge my impression was BR > SDA > Left Field (and i don't remember how samurai fit in, so maybe they didn't have my size in stock). however, i hated the fit on all of them. i was expecting to have a hard time deciding, but it was an easy choice to not buy any at all. i tried L and XL in all brands. too short, too wide at the shoulders and narrow at the waist (aside from a long torso, i'm quite proportionate - no huge belly or anything), and i found the "vintage" neckline to be horrendously obnoxious - like it was choking me and i knew i would be pulling at it every 5 minutes (and iirc, each brand had this problem to some degree). i walked away empty handed and half expecting to never find a crewneck with a great cut (though i have many i love with not-so-exceptional cuts).

i also stopped by self edge and tried on the mister freedom mechanics sweatshirts, and though the torso length was much better, i still found the fit to be very awkward. i also vaguely remember thinking the chest pocket was set too far towards the armpit.

long story short, i purchased an alternative apparel "eco fleece raglan" not long after and i absolutely love it. the quality is nowhere near the aforementioned brands (not as thick or heavy or durable feeling), but the fit is 100x better. it has a nice slim (fitted, but not tight) fit with ideal torso and sleeve lengths. i know those other brands are trying to "repro" some bogus vintage sweatshirts, but if they offered a model with slightly longer, much slimmer cut, i think they'd fly off the shelves. i'd probably never look for another sweatshirt again.

the eco fleece raglan is HERE. (note: the fit on that model appears to have that same "vintage" boat-neck shape, though mine has a much smaller/rounder neckline that looks and feels excellent)

------

related: what is the general consensus on raglan vs set-in sleeves? my ideal crewneck would have set-in sleeves with a 19-20" shoulder measurement. i guess the raglan sleeves are able accomodate a broader range of shoulder widths, and i love the AA one that has them, but i think i prefer the structure of a shoulder seem on all my garments. gotta be well cut though.

I got one of the Nike loopwheeler sweatshirts, the fit is amazing. Perfect sweatshirt will try to get fit pics later.

Not necessarily "vintage", but i agree. They gray one that i have fits me pretty damn good. I do have to be careful with the machine drying as to not shrink it too much. Otherwise i'd say it's perfect.

Any goodwear fans out there??? Their site has nice vintage-style sweatshirts, like this hoodie.

http://www.goodwearusa.com/servlet/the-24/Hooded-Sweatshirt-Pullover/Detail

I have a few of them. I like the fabric, but the cut could be a little better. I'm having a lady friend shorten the sleeves and total length a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
oooh, please post fit comparison pics!

hope i don't ask too much ...

Turntabloid

As promised, fit comparison pics of my BR sweats.

The green is a size XL(44"), the grey is XXL(46").

They were both much snugger fitting when new ( I also have a BNWT size XL in oatmeal which fits like a wetsuit !) - so they're more forgiving after some wash/wear.

I'm new to this 'fit-pic' thing, so I hope they're what you need.

DSRLDenim041.jpg

DSRLDenim044.jpg

DSRLDenim047.jpg

DSRLDenim049.jpg

:)

Turntabloid

As promised, fit comparison pics of my BR sweats.

The green is a size XL(44"), the grey is XXL(46").

They were both much snugger fitting when new ( I also have a BNWT size XL in oatmeal which fits like a wetsuit !) - so they're more forgiving after some wash/wear.

I'm new to this 'fit-pic' thing, so I hope they're what you need.

DSRLDenim041.jpg

DSRLDenim044.jpg

DSRLDenim047.jpg

DSRLDenim049.jpg

:)

those are all way too big.