Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

I'm pretty sure the circular weave and "loopwheeler" are the same thing. I don't know if the fabrics are the same quality though, I could imagine that loopwheeler used better cotton or something... Because it's so much more expensive. I have 2 Resteröds t-shirts from their classic line, I've worn them a lot the past year and they're almost like new still.

I think the best way to recognize "vintage" sweatshirts are the coarseness of the fabric (the vintage sweats I own are woven from thicker threads), the cut and cotton content. There are a lot of great sweatshirts just waiting to get picked up out there if you go for the more obscure/unknown brands.

Just a heads up for everyone: Danish knitwear company "S.N.S." sell traditional style fisherman's shirts made on vintage knitting machines from the 50's. I own one that I've worn almost everyday for a year and it looks awesome.

Just a heads up for everyone: Danish knitwear company "S.N.S." sell traditional style fisherman's shirts made on vintage knitting machines from the 50's. I own one that I've worn almost everyday for a year and it looks awesome.

Yeah, their knitwear is really amazing. It is really full grain and quite heavy too. A cardigan from S.N.S Herning will last a lifetime.

One thing us Danes can be proud of.

Recently they worked together with Comme Des garcons with a limited edition line of sweaters that were to be sold at Dover Street Market only. They were really ugly though.

I´ve been interestede in S.N.S for a while, but since they are quite pricey here, I havent picked up anything yet.

http://www.tresbien-shop.com/?gclid=CPz9pfrFqI8CFScRZgodOFeLKw heres some rather fashion forward pieces. The chunky cardigans look nice. Maybe theres a traditional line aswell?

Simon and Heartworm, you guys really think they are worth the price?

I am 1,90 cm and have long arms and I have 3 flat head sweatshirts in xl that fit fine.

Anybody know of a nice vintage look sweat that is actually cut slim and with long arms?

Problem with the japanese stuff is even if the body is slim the arms are usually too short for us taller folks (read: gorilla arms).

does anyone know anything about Pherrows:

06f-ps110-bk-1.jpg

or

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/klax-on/c/0000000172/

i found some really nice and simple crewnecks and they seem really well made

i have also been looking into a few buzz ricksons crewnecks as well but i cant decipher the sizing for a large and extra large as i dont know what dimensions they're referring to...anyone care to translate

• 3 weeks later...
Buzz Rickson? Loopwheeler? I think the hanging knitting machine (loopwheeler) is by no means exclusive to the brand Loopwheeler. Other brands use it too. The same goes for the "flat seams" or whatever it's called. Both of these are very desirable. Full Count uses, in adition to the seams and the machine, long staple Zimbabwean cotton, picked only once a year as in the vintage time in US.

+1 Loopwheeler. Got mine a couple of months ago and the inside weave is truely soft.

• 1 month later...
Does S.N.S. make sweatshirts? They sound like a really cool company and I'd love to hear more about them.
I´ve been interestede in S.N.S for a while, but since they are quite pricey here, I havent picked up anything yet.

http://www.tresbien-shop.com/?gclid=CPz9pfrFqI8CFScRZgodOFeLKw heres some rather fashion forward pieces. The chunky cardigans look nice. Maybe theres a traditional line aswell?

I am really sorry that I never got around to answering you.

I think SNS is worth their price. It is pure new wool, so it isn't a baby alpaca or some fancy sort of wool, but it is very durable and it will seriously keep you warm for a and last a life time. I own some knits and I wear them regularly during the rather cold Danish winter months.

I have actually heard a rumour saying that you can just visit their factory and buy it cheaper straight from them, so if you find yourself in Herning, Denmark have a look if you want it a bit cheaper.

If you still need some info on the brand. All I can say is that the 3 elderly men run the factory and the use really old machinery dating from the 30's or something like that and the production is still based in Denmark which might explain the rather high cost. Some of the knits are really traditional, but they have introduced some more fashion forwarded pieces ( the quality remains the same) and as a gimmick they hand-sign every single piece.

This gives a rather good overview of the entir collection, though there are some pieces missing.

http://www.agenturv.de/seite/s.n.s.aw0708.php

SNS Herning would be the only reason to create a Danish proxy as I don't really think that there is much else that us Danes can be proud of.

PS I forgot to mention that their pieces are rather slim, so they run a tad small. I am normally a medium, but I tend to buy it in a size L or XL, but I would def be able to fit a M too.

I hope people haven't lost interest in this thread. I really hope that other people will have some sort of interest in S.N.S Herning as it is really great.

The S.N.S. Herning stuff looks absolutely amazing, and as soon as I can find something in a color and cut that would fit well in my wardrobe, I will be acquiring one, at the bare minimum. I also plan on not buying knitwear anywhere else unless there is something that I find equally impressive. I have been lurking this thread when its been at the top, and am about to reread because I just took care of my jacket needs, and now I need to move on to sweatshirts (and sweaters) to start rounding out my cold weather wardrobe. I have really enjoyed all the knowledge in this thread up to this point, and definitely hope there is more to come.

I am really sorry that I never got around to answering you.

I think SNS is worth their price. It is pure new wool, so it isn't a baby alpaca or some fancy sort of wool, but it is very durable and it will seriously keep you warm for a and last a life time. I own some knits and I wear them regularly during the rather cold Danish winter months.

I have actually heard a rumour saying that you can just visit their factory and buy it cheaper straight from them, so if you find yourself in Herning, Denmark have a look if you want it a bit cheaper.

If you still need some info on the brand. All I can say is that the 3 elderly men run the factory and the use really old machinery dating from the 30's or something like that and the production is still based in Denmark which might explain the rather high cost. Some of the knits are really traditional, but they have introduced some more fashion forwarded pieces ( the quality remains the same) and as a gimmick they hand-sign every single piece.

This gives a rather good overview of the entir collection, though there are some pieces missing.

http://www.agenturv.de/seite/s.n.s.aw0708.php

SNS Herning would be the only reason to create a Danish proxy as I don't really think that there is much else that us Danes can be proud of.

PS I forgot to mention that their pieces are rather slim, so they run a tad small. I am normally a medium, but I tend to buy it in a size L or XL, but I would def be able to fit a M too.

I hope people haven't lost interest in this thread. I really hope that other people will have some sort of interest in S.N.S Herning as it is really great.

do you do pickups? that fisherman zip sweater looks amazing!

http://www.sns-herning.com/collection.html

Sorry about the late reply, but yes, definately worth the money. They're incredibly warm and durable, I've had mine for 2 years now and you couldn't tell from the look of it. I wear it in the autumn, winter and spring. They're cheaper in Denmark than on that page though, the classic fisherman's shirts are 800 dkr, and cheaper on sale.

those s.n.s. make me so jealous. I wish there was somewhere in the US that you could get them from, the only place I've found is Oak in NYC, and their selection is weak.

But haven't been able to figure out what I want to do, save for and S.N.S., try to get a loopwheeler or cushman through a proxy, get a buzz rickson from history preservation, or I've also been looking at this zip up from Schott.

F745BEIFRT.jpg

Everything but the sns is around $100-150, but I just haven't been able to decide what to go for, plus that I'm broke and probly won't get the money until the cold is almost over.:(

really nice pullover, chicken. i love that big "conmatic" zipper. i wonder if thats what "conmar" turned into, or that was a just a different line of zippers. ive got a similar conmatic zipper on a wrangler denim jacket from the late 50s/early 60s.

i picked up a sweatshirt at bloomingdales the other day, made by a company called "Landes Daily", which i have never heard of. the thing i instantly noticed about it was the vintage style stitching and long cuffs. i then noticed it had an old school bell shaped talon zipper, as well as being loopwheeled cotton!

its very well made and its fairly lightweight, not as densely woven as the loopwheeler i have, and more similar to the other japanese loopwheeled sweatshirts i have handled. the only color they had was a slightly purpleish grey. they also had sweatpants as well as some thermal shirts in a few colors and grey tshirts.

i tried to find out some info on the company, but all ive found is that they are based in LA and can also be found at fred segal.

anyone know about this company? nice to see an american company doing this sort of garment mfg that i have only really seen, apart from a few notable exceptions, coming from japan...

Ok, its getting WAY too cold in the Bay Area. I would love to have someone proxy something from SNS Herning for me.

If that falls though, I would love for anyone to point me in the direction of a japanese site that has Loopwheeler sweatshirts available so that I can enlist a proxy to hook me up.

Thanks in advance.

really nice pullover, chicken. i love that big "conmatic" zipper. i wonder if thats what "conmar" turned into, or that was a just a different line of zippers. ive got a similar conmatic zipper on a wrangler denim jacket from the late 50s/early 60s.

i was wondering the same thing, but your post made me do a little research. looks like they were a conmar product:

http://www.steelzipper.com/conmatic_zipper_details.html

Notes: Zipper commonly found on men's military and civilian jackets, linings and hoods from the late 1950's and early 1960's. It was marketed by Conmar as the first snag free zipper that will not stick or jam.

sweet.

and if you find out who makes the sweatshirts you're talking about, please let me know. i'm now in LA, too!

Ok, its getting WAY too cold in the Bay Area. I would love to have someone proxy something from SNS Herning for me.

If that falls though, I would love for anyone to point me in the direction of a japanese site that has Loopwheeler sweatshirts available so that I can enlist a proxy to hook me up.

Thanks in advance.

Just PM me, and I will see what I can do. I don't live near many shops that carry SNS, but I am moving to Copenhagen soon and then it will be a lot easier, but I wouldn't mind doing some pick-ups for people interested in SNS Herning when I have the chance.

I don't really know how a proxy works, but I think we could easily be able to sort something out.

Who makes hoodies with metallic zipper?

kind regards

• 1 month later...
Guest lewis@noverre

Studio D'Artisan sweats and hoodies are loopwheeled. Great quality, its a shame not more brands use this "technology". I have a good selection of sweats at superdenim.co.uk