Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

DeadPan can i have a rough chest to chest measurement and length after wash? I think im a medium also. Im guessing they don't fit big and a lil slimmer? Yeah i was looking at teh cushes too... in your opinon which do u think is a better sweater?

No probs. post (about 4-5) washes, and post stretch/wearing:

Pit to Pit; 22

Length of back; 25

when wet it's really stretchy. I love the fit-slimmer than most around. I'd say the cushman is better put together. looks like it will last longer, and really feels closer to a 40's/50's sweat. It's alot heavier than the TM and a hell of a warm, but also alot boxier. I got a large in the Cushman as they shrink in the wash too. I've never stretched mine out though, and now it's the perfect length. I like not being paranoid about it shrinking too much (which I am the TM), but I DO like the finishing on the two moon. Serge's pics are a great illustration of how it looks in person. For quality, i'd say the Cushman, but for look i'd say the TM.

I still haven't washed mine yet. It is the most comfy sweatshirt I have ever worn and I am afraid that it will lose some fluff if I wash it.

I've washed mine about 4-5 times now on 40 degrees. there's a little ammount of bobbling on the outside (I wash right way out), but it still feels nice inside, and doesn't appear to of lost any fluff. How are you getting away with not washing? I sweat too much in mine to not wash it!;)

• 2 weeks later...

baby-bump.jpg

Hey superguys, thought id... "bump" this thread for 2 reasons, firstly its a great thread and secondly, id like to hear your gushing thoughts about the sweats you own.

My thinking is - I cannot buy denim like the edo ai or the eternal 868 anywhere but from japan, im pretty sure about this. However what makes loopwheeler, 2moon et al so superior that it would warrant my going to all the hassle of celga and the extra cost. Are they really different from carhartt sweats???

I know im going to get a resounding "yes", but id like to hear WHY, they are better.

viv

I'm certainly no expert on Japanese sweats but I own several and can provide my perspective.

Not unlike makers of Japanese denim that go to great lengths to incorporate details found in "vintage denim" (selvedge, chainstitching, hidden rivets, etc) many Japanese sweatshirt labels appear to strive to recreate their wares using traditional techniques. The most well known label is Loopwheeler which is named after and uses vintage "loopwheel" machines that make the fabric in a circular form (imagine a gigantic tube sock) as opposed to flat weaving. LW claims their machinery only makes one meter of fabric an hour, a slow process which is reflected in the cost and limited availibility of their products. Using loopwheel machinery is not exclusive to Loopwheeler; other Japanese sweatshirt makers use these as well and there are modern versions in use all over the world. I also have some Russell sweatshirts made in Mexico of very recent vintage that cost me all of 15 bucks new that must be made with loopwheel produced fabric as the body has no side seam.

http://www.loopwheeler.co.jp/en/origin/makeit_w1.html

There are other design details like the flat seam stitching ( don't know the real technical term for this) which is more labor intensive and uses more thread. A biggie for me is the use of 100% cotton fabric. W+H in Canada makes excellent products with great cuts, construction, expensive zippers, etc, but their cotton/poly fleece (except for their lighter weight hoodies which are 100% cotton) just has a different feel and drape to me, even if it is a bit warmer. That said, I do own a few W+H have great respect for their products.

Another plus (or minus, depending on your perspective) is the fit, which is slimmer than the typical Russell or Champion product at your local sporting goods store in the US.

Ultimately you are getting (and paying for) products made using traditional manufacturing techniques and materials which gives it a certain coolness and exclusivity factor, at least to the wearer of the sweatshirt. There is also an anonymity to these as I have had people (generally women) ask about my denim and had questions about W+H tiger fleece or pinstripe hoodies but noone has ever commented about my Japanese sweats.

Is it "better"? Heck if I know but just as I enjoy rocking my PBJ or Flathead or whatever I also enjoy Loopwheeler and Two Moon, etc and will probably pick up a few more when production kicks in again in the fall.

viv, are you familiar with Gymphlex sweatshirts - made in England on this Japanese website ?:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/cpoint/727257/

Heartworm

cool! Didnt know that Resteröds had a traditional "collection" aswell. The long sleeve henley and and sweater both seems nice and are affordable.

They use organic cottons, and claim that the material is virtualy "indestructible". Cool with made in Sweden aswell.

Hey Deadpan and Jonsan, thnx again for the measurements of the TM, one quick question though, how come the Large and the Medium have the same chest measurement?

I just remeasured my size large and it is just over 22" pit-pit. Perhaps as Deadpan noted, his may have stretched. Mine has been washed only once and has seen limited action.

Heartworm

cool! Didnt know that Resteröds had a traditional "collection" aswell. The long sleeve henley and and sweater both seems nice and are affordable.

They use organic cottons, and claim that the material is virtualy "indestructible". Cool with made in Sweden aswell.

Yeah, unfortunately there's not that much in Ã…rhus, I gotta visit their shop in Copenhagen some day.

my experience is only with two moon and loopwheeler and it seems loopwheeler is lightyears better qaulity than two moon. The two moon I bought was the special edition one serge posted pics of and imo it is mainly a "style" piece rather than a qaulity one. It has all these cool vintagey features but in the end its a real lightweight sweatshirt that doesnt standout material wise over an RL or similar sweat. That said, LW sweats are amazing. I have never seen anything in the us market even remotely like them. the inside threads are like a million little loops that u can feel against your skin. Its really nice.

my experience is only with two moon and loopwheeler and it seems loopwheeler is lightyears better qaulity than two moon. The two moon I bought was the special edition one serge posted pics of and imo it is mainly a "style" piece rather than a qaulity one. It has all these cool vintagey features but in the end its a real lightweight sweatshirt that doesnt standout material wise over an RL or similar sweat. That said, LW sweats are amazing. I have never seen anything in the us market even remotely like them. the inside threads are like a million little loops that u can feel against your skin. Its really nice.

Agreed mate, I think I pretty echoed your sentiments a little while back. I don't have ex. with loopwheeler, but my cushmans are made on loopwheelers, and they are much better quality than the 2moon, but you gotta love the two tone style of the 2moon. Personally I would like to add a print (army style or something) to my cushman to add a little interest:cool:

beatle..how did you get that sam. sweat? (very nice) I thought they were all sold out? And how do you find it (quality, size, fit etc.)

beatle, how is the fit on the Samurai, specifically the neck? I have a Buzz Rickson and it has a large oval shaped neck opening that looks a little wierd on my admittedly skinny neck and the pic of the Sam looks like it may have a similar neck.

Right - ive asked the lovely people at celga for a Loopwheeler hoody, im curious to see how "good" it is. If im dissapointed im gonna neg rep everyone in this thread (8.5), if its as good as you say - a whole lotta love is coming your way.

My celga order is silly - samurai cords and a hoody, should be good for the summer then.

PBJ have nice sweats ive been looking at them alot, and 45rpm have nice tops too.

• 4 months later...
Has anyone had any issues with the Champion reverse weave crewnecks. I ordered a size small but it's way bigger. Can I expect a significant amount of shrinking after a wash? Otherwise, I may just return it and get the Buzz Rickson.

My issue with them is that they run rather big. I had a newer size medium crewneck that was kinda huge. Strangely, the size medium pull over hoodie I have from the same order fits pretty well.

I have a bunch of old Champion reverse weave crewnecks, but they're a little baggy in the arms for me. I recently put them on Ebay, which I only mention because it's relevant to the thread. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbehindxthiswall

good thread, i had forgotten about it. i picked up a grey two moon pullover hoody in paris at the rue bettagne flea market in the spring. brand new from a guy who was also selling japanese denim, much to my surprise, although he had odd sizes left... (damn, i should have grabbed a pair of cushmans he had). anyhow, i really like it, its very soft and well made...

twomoom.jpg

i like the way its stitched in particular...

twomoonstitching.jpg

twomoonlabel.jpg

i was really surprised to find a brand new two moon at the flea market, the only reason he was selling it was because it didnt fit...

ive got a grey (notice a theme here?) loopwheeler AW09 zip up in the mail to me tomorrow, that i ordered through zipangu treasures. i hope the quality is what everyone says it is... it wasnt cheap to get a hold of. and, if anyones thinking about getting one, masataka said that loopwheeler wasnt going to be able to garauntee certain sizes, colors as of about 5 days ago. i think they make a pretty small run and thats it for the season..