Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

1 hour ago, illumin8em said:

Can anyone recommend who's making the shortest body/cropped sweatshirts at the moment? It seems like every brand has added a few inches to the body length the last few years and that is the opposite direction that I was hoping for. Great for all the long torso/short leg folks I guess but what about us short torso long leggers? The old Buzz were great, I've heard the Warehouse 401 was ace but it seems they've also joined the trend and gotten longer. No use bringing up Atlast &Co since I'm more likely to capture the extinct Tasmanian Tiger than figure out how to buy anything from them. Maybe I should be looking at women's sweatshirts

I also have a McCoy sweat shirt, I think Ball Park, that after a normal wash at 30C with no dryer, shrunk quite a bit in the body. For me that is the vintage fit now.
Before it was about 4cm, 1.5 inches longer. The lower edge of the sweatshirt is now basically touching the waist of my, medium or so rise, jeans.
I think, it's even a XL.

But this one is also six years old or so. Perhaps they also changed the fit.

On 10/18/2015 at 3:11 PM, pudaspriest said:

Picked up a deluxeware sweat from rakuten. Very nice, not as soft feeling as my strike gold one but I like cut a lot better. I have been wearing it for 3 days in a row, really like it so far. 

PysFcKx.jpg

bVTEqdD.jpg

hlKJEA7.jpg

Never thought they were boxy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This randomly popped up on my Facebook feed.

Einstein wore sweatshirts that grew rattier over the years, because wool sweaters made him itch. When his wife, Elsa, “urged him repeatedly to dress up for important company,” wrote one historian, “Einstein quipped that if the important visitors were coming to see him, they’d see him as he was; but if they were coming to see his clothes, Elsa would show them to his wardrobe.”

FB_IMG_1663704480008.jpg

• 1 month later...

Does anyone own a Full Count 3741 sweatshirt?

If so, how much did it shrink after the first wash.

Ta.

On 9/20/2022 at 11:20 PM, Mr Black said:

This randomly popped up on my Facebook feed.

Einstein wore sweatshirts that grew rattier over the years, because wool sweaters made him itch. When his wife, Elsa, “urged him repeatedly to dress up for important company,” wrote one historian, “Einstein quipped that if the important visitors were coming to see him, they’d see him as he was; but if they were coming to see his clothes, Elsa would show them to his wardrobe.”

FB_IMG_1663704480008.jpg

I like Le Corbusier's style. 

• 5 months later...

Is anyone familiar with Patchii sweatshirts?
Loop wheeled and made in Japan (Wakayama).
The inside is not loopback/terry, not brushed.

Quite a good deal, I find. I got a charcoal one in XL- fits like a smaller XL.
Just wanting to share this.

https://www.moderntimes-co.net/item/m5456/

https://toulouse.jp/products/patchii-吊り編みスウェット-丸胴ラグランスリーブクルーネック-チャコール-1?variant=41065492447369

https://plusc.theshop.jp/items/14599702

I've been chatting about cropped sleeve sweatshirts with indigoeagle this week and thought some of y'all might be interested..

This is a FC sweat which flash bought in Tokyo then subsequently gave to me..i've beat the crap out of it, last week i snagged it at work which has torn a hole in the arm :mad:

image1.jpeg.4da14589e2eff64eafba91d000bb5307.jpeg

The material wants to roll/curl, like it's under tension, this will probably be compounded by washing

It does have side seams, looking at the loops on the back, i assume circular knitting machine and they've cut the tube.. but where the grain/texture of my JMC sweat (which isn't loopwheeled either) runs horizontal, as you can see, the thread structure here^ is linear. I assume it's the cutting of these vertical threads which is causing the roll?.. If i cut through the rest of the sleeve who knows where the rolling will stop :D

IE compared it to this Jelado amongst others..

image.thumb.png.afc2f512e1cb8a523cbb86e2b63babfe.png

Beyond our musings.. anyone want to offer any knowledge as to why some sweatshirt material rolls while others doesn't?

Edited by Double 0 Soul

^ I have a Toys McCoy McQueen sweat with out-off sleeves (yes, bit of a wank, but it's been great as a general-use top.. didn't pay anywhere near retail, but mrs mondo would no doubt be aghast at the prospect of anyone seeking out a "blurple" top with ragged sleeves).. anyway, it has a fleecier backing, but the the edges have rolled to half-pipe status and no further, regardless of trips through washer and dryer (and there have been many).. I've become a fan of the three-quarter sleeve – no cuffs to get in the way or become frayed, easy to push up if required. Annoying under a jacket, but I've got other sweats for that. If that FC sweat were mine, I'd chop the cuffs off, why not, I'd be surprised if it just kept on rolling.. but if you ended up with a vest with inner tubes on the shoulders that might be kind of cool..

The FC wasn't the article in question @mondo ... it's still cold enough to wear it under a denim jacket, so the hole isn't an issue.

The rolling FC was just a word of caution, IE was considering buying a new sweat and cropping the sleeves.. lot's of examples of crop sleeve sweatshirts which don't roll and some crop sleeve sweatshirts which have been cropped then cuffed.. are the cuffed versions made from a fabric which has a propensity to roll and the cuff is there to stop it happening? .. who knows? potentially you could buy a sweatshirt, crop the sleeves and end up with 2 giant polo's at the top of your arms.

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

The FC wasn't the article in question @mondo ... it's still cold enough to wear it under a denim jacket, so the hole isn't an issue.

The rolling FC was just a word of caution, IE was considering buying a new sweat and cropping the sleeves.. lot's of examples of crop sleeve sweatshirts which don't roll and some crop sleeve sweatshirts which have been cropped then cuffed.. are the cuffed versions made from a fabric which has a propensity to roll and the cuff is there to stop it happening? .. who knows? potentially you could buy a sweatshirt, crop the sleeves and end up with 2 giant polo's at the top of your arms.

I have no answers.. has anybody seen a cut-off that has rolled 360º or more..? The McCoys I have can be purchased (same price) with or without the cuffs – perhaps they reserve the roll-repudiating terry for the McQueen line. It doesn't quite manage the devil-may-care vibe of The Great Escape original; the raglan sleeves and snug fit make it a little too mannered for that. Then again, Steve McQueen was a smaller guy with fabulous forearms.

You should cut down the sleeves and then snip lots of long vertical cuts along the length of the sleeves to give a streamer effect (think of the curtains outside betting shop doors in the 1970s if you’re old enough).

19 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

You should cut down the sleeves and then snip lots of long vertical cuts along the length of the sleeves to give a streamer effect (think of the curtains outside betting shop doors in the 1970s if you’re old enough).

Heh.. yeah, in Australia those streamers would give a nice, festive '70s going-to-cornershop-to-buy-ten-cent-bag-of-lollies effect.. keeps out the flies

20 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

..or sell them to the Star Wars reenactors

image.thumb.png.04d3535b6945e85e76b2b24a384b4fc3.png

• 10 months later...

Queston for the fabric experts:
I noticed, that on most of my sweat shirt nice creases have started to set in the sleeves.
However not in all.
And that can't be related to the weight of the fabric. As the one with no creases is on the heavier side.

What makes the difference?
The tsuriami (hang knitting, which I think is somehow different from loop wheeling) manufacturing?