Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on the hunt for some short sleeve sweatshirts and am wondering if anyone has experience with the Todd Snyder + Champion short sleeve sweatshirts? I'm a big fan of the fit from the recent iterations of the loopwheeled sweatshirts by RMC; i.e. short hem, high armholes, thick ribbing on the hem, etc.

@ReverendGlasseye I am wearing one as I type this. 

The sleeves aren't all baggy, and aren't too tight either. Don't expect ultra high quality softness, but I like mine a lot. 

Fit is fairly relaxed, and a touch on the longer side when compared to Japanese brands and models. 

Edited by SmokeStackLightning

On 3/26/2020 at 6:46 PM, ReverendGlasseye said:

I've been on the hunt for some short sleeve sweatshirts and am wondering if anyone has experience with the Todd Snyder + Champion short sleeve sweatshirts? I'm a big fan of the fit from the recent iterations of the loopwheeled sweatshirts by RMC; i.e. short hem, high armholes, thick ribbing on the hem, etc.

I have two TS x champion sweats and I really like the fit on both. I would say the quality is a little below reigning champ, but I’ve been wearing these more than my loopwheel stuff. Can’t seem to find a good fit from any of the Japanese brands, personally. 

I should mention, though that both of mine are long sleeve, so no experience wi the short sleeve iteration. On both of mine, I would say the armholes aren’t very high. One reason why I like the fit so much; I personally can’t stand high armholes. 

Edited by SuperJackle

Got that off yahoo auctions a few months back. I wouldn’t say there are loads on there, but you get a couple every now & then.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

About to list a stack of sweatshirts on Ebay. DM me if you want first dibs:

Warehouse oatmeal size 40

Cushman Burgundy size M

Cushman oatmeal 'Havana Ducks, S

Cushman Indy 500 zip front, S (more like XS)

McCoys Ballpark 'Brooklyn', M

Pearl Diver 'BHS', Large (fits European medium)

Barns yellow 'Caro', M

Barns Blue 'Hartmans'.  38/40

Green Cheswick 'St Mary's'. M

Blue Vintage Champion 'John Carrol Blue streaks' L (fits medium)

IMG_1535.JPG

18777C8A-9C0A-4037-902B-48AFB31889F3.JPG

B64CB7D4-6117-4938-8D8C-48420C2C3F04.JPG

I remember, that there was disappointment among some people, when Buzz Rickson's changed their sweatshirts, that the fit was longer and also that the V-stitching wasn't a proper inlay.
I'm not sure, I understand this correctly.
Looking at this picture, it seems, that it is indeed a differend piece of fabric, that is sewn in.
Or does it only look that way?
Or did BR change it again?

plain_sweat_-_olive_3_.jpg

Ah, then it was the opposite? That in the old, shorter versions they didn't have the 'V' inlay, but in the new ones, they do?
Does it look the same in the old ones like in this pic?
The pic is from the current BR offered by Peggs&Son.

Edited by indigoeagle

I don’t have either version, but it’s really not clear from that photo whether the V is a true inlay or just a patch added on top of the main body panel—as Dr. Heech says, it would be helpful to see a photo from the inside (I’d also be interested in knowing the answer)

9 hours ago, indigoeagle said:

Ah, then it was the opposite? That in the old, shorter versions they didn't have the 'V' inlay, but in the new ones, they do?
Does it look the same in the old ones like in this pic?
The pic is from the current BR offered by Peggs&Son.

@indigoeagle It was the opposite.  The old one's were shorter/boxier and had the panel V, as per Maynard's photo. The newer version are slimmer/longer in body and sleeve, and that photo suggests a separate piece of material, but without further proof it's still all speculation at this point.

What's the difference between a 2-needle and a 4-needle construction? (Apart from: one use 2 needles, the other 4...)

Warehouse has both options with a material price difference. Obviously they repro different eras, but I'm curious how one would perceive the difference:

4-needles: https://www.ware-house.co.jp/?pid=144686236

2-needles: https://www.ware-house.co.jp/?pid=144686430

Thanks!

By the looks of it: The four-needle machine is a flatlock where two panels of fabric are overlapped & fed into the machine directly, with no fold, resulting in serging on both sides (similar to modern yoga pants, or to the side seams on TFH or SdA loopwheeled tees). The two-needle machine serges over one side after the two panels have been connected face to face, resulting in a fairly flat seam with serging only on the inside (similar to the shoulder seams of many T-shirts, or to Stevenson or Deluxeware sweats). Presumably, the latter takes two passes through different machines, possibly explaining the price difference—but I don’t really know how these things work, so take that with a grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve loved them since the first time I handled their shirts at Blue in Green, probably around the time of the first Inspiration Brooklyn show. Everything I’ve handled from them is soft and comfortable. 
None of it has the heavy construction of something like a McCoys tee or sweat (which is also great, but has that sporty feel about it).

The Tompkins sweat is very thick - not dense and heavy, but very puffy. The deep texture makes it puffy, soft, and warm. 
The twill face military crew is just another piece from L&W that makes me love the different fabrics they develop for their garments. I’m also a big fan of their colors. They have some blue, black, and white, but I prefer the subtle and handsome reds, oranges, and yellows. 

Edited by lefty

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished reading the whole thread. Great info and collections! 

Here is a much cheaper retro styled zip up hoodie from Bronson Manufacturing that I recently gifted to my son. (A replacement has already been ordered)

Nice heavy French terry, deep ribs, great fit and vintage styling but the construction is much more modern and simple than the other repro brands that cost 3 to 6 times more. Very similar to some RRL I have had and for the price this  really can't be beat. 

IMG_20210428_165136_005.jpg

IMG_20210428_165136_045.jpg

IMG_20210428_165136_055.jpg

IMG_20210428_165136_064.jpg