Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

On 2017/10/18 at 8:56 PM, MasonAlexander said:

Having trouble finding the simplest thing.

Looking for a plain black hooded sweat. Preferably not after-hooded. Definitely no zipper

I was looking through all of the McCoys stuff on the retailers I know of and couldnt seem to find black.

What is everybodys favourite black hood?

Had you got the ideal black hoodie. I came across this black Colimbo fairbanks sweat parka online and think you might be interested.

tof_59ec493d39c80.jpg

tof_59ec493d8dc6b.jpg

tof_59ec493fcbde0.jpg

tof_59ec494031e70.jpg

After unfortunately learning that the Warehouse 404 Freedom Sleeve sweat in Heather Grey is sold out in 38, I'm now looking at picking up the Stevenson Overall ELS Cotton Loopwheel Sweatshirt, which also features a textured heather gray marl and has freedom sleeves.

Does anyone have one of these, how is the fit / fabric, how much shrinkage etc ?

5 hours ago, Sensuki said:

I'm now looking at picking up the Stevenson Overall ELS Cotton Loopwheel Sweatshirt, which also features a textured heather gray marl and has freedom sleeves.

Does anyone have one of these, how is the fit / fabric, how much shrinkage etc ?

I have the oatmeal version of this sweatshirt (been looking at picking up the grey hooded version as well) and it's great.
As far as loopwheeled sweatshirt material goes I think Stevenson is the nicest I've handled, it's a bit lighter and softer compared to RMC or Strike Gold.
The body is quite short, which I like since I wear high rise jeans often. Haven't noticed much shrinkage after a handful of washes.

I have one in size small. I haven't worn it much yet, but me being short and slightly overweight, it's the best fitting sweatshirt I own: it's boxy, short in length, and has a fair amount of room in the body and sleeves.

Edited by gumchum
Clarity

• 6 months later...

Picked up a National Athletic Goods 11oz Mock Twist Double V Warm Up sweat in Dark Grey Size M recently from the Superdenim sale: superdenim.com/row/national-athletic-goods-mock-twist-fleece-double-v-warm-up-dark-grey.html

This is my first good quality sweatshirt. Pretty cool texture, very soft, well constructed, good fit. Neckline isn't too wide. I'd say it's definitely worth what I payed for it.

Will take some photos in the next couple of days. I'm still going to get a Warehouse 404 if they re-make those next season and will do a comparison.

Edited by Sensuki

• 2 weeks later...

Reposting from the Stevenson Overall Co. thread, in hopes that this thread has a more avid readership:

On 6/28/2018 at 12:07 AM, julian-wolf said:

How's the sizing on SOC hoodies? The charts I'm seeing indicate that an L shouldn't be too far off from a regular Western L (besides being a good bit shorter), which surprises me given how Japanese the sizing for their jeans and jackets always seems. Can anyone confirm or deny?

12 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Reposting from the Stevenson Overall Co. thread, in hopes that this thread has a more avid readership:

I’m also tempted to pick up that Stevenson hoodie, I currently have the sweatshirt and it does run pretty short. I’m 6’1” and 175lbs and have a Medium (fit pic below) and wear medium for most shirts but I probably could have gone with a large for a roomier fit. 

544F0B5C-76E6-41F3-B9D4-9CAE972791A9.jpeg

Thanks @longshanks, that's just the sort of info I was looking for, especially since we seem to be of pretty similar builds. How do you find the sleeve length to be, in particular? I'm around 6'2", 180–185 lbs., and am tempted to go for the Large despite fitting XL in the few of their other tops that I've tried.

3 hours ago, Geeman said:

You ordering from SOC direct?

No—I think SmokeStackLightning's correct that their website's just for show. One of their hoodies, along with some other great finds, was on sale at The Shop Vancouver for a steal.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for a heavyweight hoodie but with a longer length. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like something around 28-29 in (73-76 cm) after shrinkage if possible.

SOC hoodie's in! Last weekend was nice and foggy, perfect for breaking it out. Fit's great and the fabric's really wildly soft and cozy, but if it shrinks much I may be out of luck. Looks like I'll be sticking to cold washes and hang drys, just to be safe.

tfe3zdK.jpg

HQc6AQL.jpg

3 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

SOC hoodie's in! Last weekend was nice and foggy, perfect for breaking it out. Fit's great and the fabric's really wildly soft and cozy, but if it shrinks much I may be out of luck. Looks like I'll be sticking to cold washes and hang drys, just to be safe.

tfe3zdK.jpg

Julian, I would definitely exchange that for a size up before you start wearing it.  They shrink a good amount, it'll be a bit too small for you once you end up washing it.

Thanks for the tip, @kiya—much appreciated. That's disappointing, as it was on sale at The Shop Vancouver and it looks like they're all out of the next size up. I think I'll brave it out and see what happens. Worse comes to worst, I can think of one or two less-large friends that I'm sure wouldn't mind inheriting a nicer hoodie come Fall ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess one good thing about nice loungewear / sportswear is that everyone enjoys having it (and, unlike the case of jeans, many folks seem to actually be able to notice and appreciate the step up in quality), but no one wants to spend the money to buy it for their self. Makes it great for (re-) gifting.

• 3 months later...

Just received the Two Moon loopwheeled sweatshirt in indigo, which is advertised as a limited edition. For the price, it can't be beat. The details are on point, the indigo color is a deep blue that will pair well with denim. It is not as thick or soft as the SDA Suvin Gold, as one would expect, and I suspect it's garment rather than yarn dyed. Easy transaction and super fast delivery from Mirror Ball:

http://the-rising.co.jp/?action=item_detail&id=4035

(Bottom pics are most accurate.)

Edited by JDelage

• 6 months later...

https://corlection.com/collections/sweats-hoodies/products/studio-d-artisan-standard-12oz-loopwheel-sweatshirt-heather-grey

Looking at getting one of these but not sure about sizing. Tried an XL and it was too big but I sized up on my SG hoodie and after a cold wash it fits perfect. The description says it’s shrinks but hoping someone can chime in with their experience.

• 4 months later...

I think the newer Buzz Rickson sweatshirts are cut quite generously. I have one in a size L but probably should have bought an M. Consequently I wear it to slop around home in so it has lots of wear and washes. I can measure the length for you if you like.

Deluxewear sweats are pretty long—I’m on the tall side and I usually end up folding the bottom hem in à la Volvo. Can measure the length later today to confirm, but I’d guess > 27” at center back on my slim-cut XL (overall, fits like a Japanese L but longer and with a little more room in the shoulders)

@Maynard Friedman I’ve specifically been looking at one of the newer buzz sweats in oatmeal, but I remember you mentioning a few years back that they were quite boxy and that you favored deluxewear, yeah?  Measurements would be much appreciated. 

@julian-wolf yes please, if you could measure. 

Nope, I was way off: center back measures more like 26" on an XL. Guess it just feels longer than it is; I'm more used to thinking about the lengths of shirts than knits. Makes me wonder just how short my Stevenson hoodie is…

1 hour ago, SuperJackle said:

Anybody know any loopwheel sweats that are cut a bit longer, ie a Japanese size L that is closer to 27” length after washing/drying?

The longest loopwheeled sweats I've ever seen are from Merz B: https://www.selfedge.com/merz-b-schwanen?category_id=63

Probably because they're designed by Germans.  Many clients looking for super nice loopwheeled tees and sweaters which are taller love the brand because they cut their basics for a more western clientele.