Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

I have one in cream. From memory the shrinkage is iro 5%. They're a very vintage cut- wide & short. Mid-weight- comparable to the lighter ball-park sweats ( whatever weight they are?)

The waistband needs a bit more 'stretch' for my liking

I'm a fairly standard European medium and wear a 40 in jackets etc. I bought a large. A medium would probably be ok in the width but def way too short in the length.

Edited by Mr Black

Here's a pic of my barns. I'm just over 5ft 10, and a smudge over 11 stone. I think that's 178 cm & 72kg in new money.

25fjbdk.jpg

Edited by Mr Black

Got a new loopwheeled Flat Head sweatshirt the other day...

0cd57a4d9f86c7d2081fbe931c2a14c5_zps5851

35741ea5cccb212483293cd4143b231a_zpsdcae

861f964c3c86d0db6a8a8119a53cf2e6_zps3f6b

07e6940f2f3ec64fed01246004c2af0b_zps3e98

The fabric has an amazing handfeel, the weight is light to mid-weight.

Snug fit for size L. Cut and fit seems to be authentic and I'm not certain yet if that's good or bad - putting it through the washing machine before I start wearing it...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got some recommendations for heavy weight sweatshirts?? I've seen the Tellason hoody in 26oz and really like the weight of it, and also stumbled across the Left Field 18oz sweatshirt. Just wondering what else I should look at in the $200 price??

Thanks

Edited by ecsong187

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone got fit pics of Warehouse sweats. What's the shrinkage on 'em (if any?)

Mr Black - I put up a fitpic of my size 42 sweat in the Warehouse thread sometime last autumn, November I think. Great sweats but they shrink a lot, a full size I'd say. Had a size 40 that fit me well at first but after a wash it was way to small, it probably shrunk about 3 cm allover. For reference I am about 1,84m 80 kg (not slender..) and a sz 42 fits me good, but definitely on the smaller side. 

Do the Real Mccoys sweater have a vintage fit or are they fitted smaller for the Japan market? I'm 5'7" 200lbs and thinking of L or XL. 

I have the heavyweight sweat shirt in XL.  At 6'0" and 175 lbs., I should have gone with Large.  Sleeves on the XL are pretty long.  Shrinkage was less than expected, even with washer and brief dryer.

I sent Buzz Rickson's Japan an email. They told me their sweatshirts are made on hanging knitting machines, not the modern 'sinker' machines. Either they are lying or the aficionados who claim it is not loopwheeled are mistaken.

'Hanging knitting' is a term I've seen used for Deluxeware, Barns, Strike Gold, Cushman - it makes sense as the loopwheel machines are hanging from poles.

Why is the BR sweat thought not to be loopwheel anyway? I've handled BR, Ball Park, Deluxeware and Strike Gold - I couldn't tell the difference. I know it doesn't really matter, I'm just intrigued by the mysterious loopwheel.

I sent Buzz Rickson's Japan an email. They told me their sweatshirts are made on hanging knitting machines, not the modern 'sinker' machines. Either they are lying or the aficionados who claim it is not loopwheeled are mistaken.

Who is claiming this? 

• 3 months later...

Anyone had any experience with Russell Athletic Archive?

Present had some Sweats last year which were priced around £65 but the quality was not really that great. These had the side gusset.

trainerspotter created some pieces for the Archive range and now I see John Lofgren has developed a range of Loopwheel sweats made in Japan under the Archive banner.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for a grey sweatshirt now, the ultimate one of course. I'm not too fond of a too boxy shirt since i'm quite tall. So if you have any info on the fit that would be great!

There's just so many to choose from, witch one would you recommend? 

Real Mccoy's Ballpark or Loopwheel

The Flat head

Strike Gold

Iron Heart

Studio D´Artisan

Samurai

Anyone I missed?

Buzz Rickson makes a nice one also.  Im not super tall (6') but the length hits me right below the belt, which is what I like.  Im all for vintage details, but an exposed stomach for historical accuracy can go fuck itself.  

Edited by garden gnomes in space