Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

Loopwheel produces the best fabric. I think Real Mccoy's stopped using loopwheel because it wasn't cost effective. The Japanese repro brands are not outside of the market, they are governed by the same laws, the profit motive.

RMC is doing a loopwheeled sweat for this season. I don't think loopwheeling necessarily produces the best garments; it just so happens that the best (in my opinion, out of what I've handled, is Strike Gold) is using loopwheeled fabric. 

Edited by misterjuiceman

fit of the strikegold looks great imo but also tricky to achieve the same fit

think ill go for a navy Ball park sweatshirt

I would definitely pick the the SG over the Ball park, it just feels way plusher... I think we're probably the same size, I bought that LVC Flannel shirt off ya there a few months ago and it fits great...

Loopwheel produces the best fabric. I think Real Mccoy's stopped using loopwheel because it wasn't cost effective. The Japanese repro brands are not outside of the market, they are governed by the same laws, the profit motive.

I think you are jumping to conclusions here, Loopwheel does not produce the best fabric simply because it is loopwheeled. There are a lot more differentials to take into considerations like the quality of the cotton. McCoys produce the sweatshirt material on vintage looms that are not ran at high tension just like the loopwheel machines. Whitesville produce a heavy weight loopwheel sweat for half the rrp of the non loop RMC.

If you read the loop thread folks are struggling to determine what is and what is not loop so the sweeping statement that loop is best aint necessarily so.

I think you are jumping to conclusions here, Loopwheel does not produce the best fabric simply because it is loopwheeled. There are a lot more differentials to take into considerations like the quality of the cotton. McCoys produce the sweatshirt material on vintage looms that are not ran at high tension just like the loopwheel machines. Whitesville produce a heavy weight loopwheel sweat for half the rrp of the non loop RMC.

If you read the loop thread folks are struggling to determine what is and what is not loop so the sweeping statement that loop is best aint necessarily so.

I am basing it purely on the sweatshirts I have handled, loopwheel sweats were better, but it's all subjective of course.

The thing is though, is that the vast majority of brands using loopwheeled fabric are also those that are obsessed with quality construction.  So, I think what you are experiencing has more to do with handling the best of the best in terms of construction.  If these same brands use fabric made from high quality cotton on more modern circular knitters, the difference will be absolutely negligible.  The historical aspect is cool, but unless we witness the manufacturing process, we don't know for sure what the hell they're being produced on.

True, it is hard to tell. Has anyone owned Workers Knitting Mills sweatshirts? It's a small Italian company inspired by American sportswear and they supposedly use Japanese loopwheel fabric. I have a few hoodies and they feel great.

Anyone??

Can anyone advise if the Studio D'artisan loopwheeled sweats shrink at all?

Ta.

M

I have a loop wheeled SDA sweater arriving onTuesday which looks like it may be slightly too big for me (24" pit to pit). If it is then I will wash it and let you know ASAP.

Was that a grey one in large off eBay? If so, I bought the blue one and am in the same boat as you. Due to land on Monday.

I was going to stick it in a very hot wash to try & bring it down by 5% or so, but if there's no point I may just sell it on in its unworn state.

Edited by Mr Black

Man, they were a steal too good to miss. What size are you normally? I don't think it will be too much too big for me, so if yours doesn't work out and you want to flip it drop me a PM.

Yep. Too good a price to miss out on.

I'm a fairly standard uk medium and have two moon and real McCoy sweats in large that fit well but they both measure smaller than the measurements he put up for the large sda.

If it shrinks 5% or so it should do me very nicely.

Finally a cool evening here in Texas so I'm trying out my Kicking Mule Workshop sweat and it's quite nice.

A bit boxy in the arms and shoulders, but I have yet to wash it so that should definitely help.

Not sure if it is truly loopwheeled or not but regardless it's nice a soft.

I think next I'll either get a Real McCoy's sweat for my birthday or Strike Gold whenever SE gets a new shipment.

Megatron- the sweat arrived this morning. Not massive in it's current state but i'd certainly be happier if it shrank down a size.

Now- to boil wash or not to boil wash. That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the strings & arrows of oversize sweatshirts....

I got a large. I've not measured it myself yet, but it was listed as (and I quote)...

Pit to Pit = 24" (61cm)
Length = 25.5" (65cm)
Sleeve = 24" (61cm)
Shoulder = 22.5" (57cm)

If it shrank down around 5% i'd be a happy man.
Edited by Mr Black

Will give it a soak in boiling water and then a hot wash in the machine- should do the trick.

Sadly I don't have a dryer to complete the job.

If it doesn't work, it shouldn't be a struggle to get back what i paid.

The one nearest my home has dryers that are pretty pathetic. I was toying with washing it at home tonight, spinning it in the machine and then bringing it in to work with me in the morning while it's still damp.

Can spend a nice lunch hour at the laundry next to American Classics.

inverted, and somewhat balder & scrawnier. Although if you squint your eyes....

:)

Edited by Mr Black

Gave mine a boiled water soak, and a hot wash last night. It's sitting by me, still damp, in a plastic bag ready for a lunch hour spent in the laundrette watching it- and a hinoya sweatshirt spin round together.

Stupidly I didn't measure it before I soaked it (megatron- perhaps you could measure yours?) , but if I take the sellers measurements as correct it' seems to have come down a little bit already.

Rock N roll