Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

^ bastard :P... I was watching that guy as well. But I figured if I was gonna pay that much for vintage, I 'd rather get a brand spankin new one... Has anyone figured out if those two champion sweats are the same?

and second on the RRL sweats... the construction looks good, but the screens are so awful I don't even wanna bid on the cheaper ones on eBay

I have a reverse weave champion pullover from 15 years ago. I've gone through the elbows and all the seams are threadbare, but I haven't been able to get rid of it even tho I don't wear it anymore. It's the squishiest, softest hoodie ever.

The reverse weave goes horizontally as opposed to vertaically, I'm assuming so that if it does stretch out, it gets longer as opposed to wider. (I always had that problem with Champion Tshirts back in the day getting short and wide) There was vertically wolven ribbing from the armpits to the waist that allowed for some expansive stretch. It also has the 4" cuffs and I looked for a replacement for it for years.

I remember mentioning it a while back in an earlier hoodie thread, so I'm pretty stoked because the one pictured on rautaken look like that model. I finally broke down a bit ago and got a spruce as a replacement which is also reverse weave and has flat felled seams, but I still miss my champion.

EDIT: Both of those hooides look the same except for the cuffs. Mine is more similiar to the Japanese ones because it has the 4" cuffs and no Champion C embroidery on the chest. Those are the only differences I see after a cursory glance at them.

^ and second on the RRL sweats... the construction looks good, but the screens are so awful I don't even wanna bid on the cheaper ones on eBay

While I haven't seen the RRL sweats, I was very impressed by this "Weathered" Polo Sweatshirt. Great construction and nice mats, but I guess thats a given for $125.

ppolo23070875standardv330ws6.jpg

http://www.polo.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2422323&cp=1760781.1760812&page=4&parentPage=family

The Champion " Super Hoody " is a beast of a sweatshirt .. 14 oz reverse weave @ approx $70 or so ..

I have one from about 10 years ago that still looks great aside from color faded - it is black ..

pretty much-the difference is in the placement of the logo-champion stopped putting them on the sleeves about 5ish years ago i think

it's the same as the ones on the site i posted the other day

Found a Medallion brand reverse weave at the thrift store a few months ago for 3 bucks. Double sided hood, side pannels, 4 inch sleeve and waist cuffs. Small nantucket screen on the front. Have no idea how old it is, but it is not 100% cotton. Still very heavy though. Forgot to mention, the hood is incredibly pointed (gnome hat style).

mrswitch, I'll bet that large size sweat might fit more snug than you'd guess. When I bought my SC workshirt from HP I was gonna go medium but Charles strongly suggested I go large. I'm glad I listened to him, it fits perfectly. I happpen to be right at the cusp of med & lrg. Jean Shop also makes sweatshirts. Price is high, but excellent quality and style.

ok so i've always wondered this, but what is the point of the V on crewneck sweatshirts?

I have always wondered this tooo, and I am certain that the V is functional, but I'm not quite sure what the function is. I think it was probably done to solve a problem that no longer exists or has since been solved by other means. Two ideas:

1. it is to reinforce the collar and keep it from rolling down, sagging or tearing during hard athletic use and repeated wearings.

2. it is there as a gusset to provide give and allow the collar to stretch when being put on and taken off. Remember the V collar probably predates the widespread use of elastics and other stretchy materials.

• 2 months later...

It's just different ways of knitting the cotton. In sweatshirt.. 2 major style. French terry and Fleece. Your picture is french terry. The washing effect and softner make difference also. There is also double knit (weave) french terry.. also makes it even more comfortable. I think NDG may be using double knit french terry. But Uniqlo is not going to have it due to the cost.

• 4 weeks later...

Nobody seems to of mentioned Cushman...I have a couple of them and they're great-so warm you won't believe. Double V, overstitched etc. and made on a loopwheeler. You need to size up one though as they come up short/small and shrink a little on the first wash. If anyone's interested I will try and post some pics.

just got this from history pres. the sleeves are kinda tapered. tite on the forearms. no elastic and it is a very boxy fit. i love it. im a 40-42 and got a large. no side gussets. kinda sucks. well ya gotta have side gussets riht?

Could you post some pics of the fit?

Klaas:

I'm 6ft and the sweatshirt (Sz.Large) is pretty short, I have been avoiding the dryer.

in fact....

Chest (armpit to armpit):21.5 inches

Arm (pit to end of sleeve):20.5 inches

Length (Collar to bottom): 22.5 inches

this is after a couple cold machineswashes.

The second picture you posted is much more reflective of the actual look and fit.

The first picture makes the grey color look very splotchy (better, in my oppinion)

and the cuffs look very long, both not really true as you can see in the second. I would assume the 1st picture is from an older season.

***^ that two moon sweatshirt is killen 'em

Does anyone here know how Loopwheeler sweatshirts fit? Slim? Boxy? Size up? I checked out their website for sizing measurements but the numbers really don't tell much on the actual fit. On most sweatshirts I need to size up beacuse of shrinkage, even Champion reverse weave.