Pho?!?!?!?!

JesseJB

White people think they're in the know with [insert random asian cuisine]

I get eye daggers when I tell them theres no good chinese food in Manhattan or places like Chinatown Brasserie where high quality ingredients and dim sum made to order is actually pretty common in asia.

I dunno, there's a handful of sichuan places in manhattan (mostly in midtown or the east side) which are pretty damn good.

I agree with you on the dim sum though. Made to order dim sum is really hard to find even in flushing. Maybe it would help if I could read/speak chinese... :)

• 4 months later...

Best pho I ever tasted was of course, off vendors on the street of Vietnam.

Second best (after home made) had this options of adding in slice bread. It was chewy and flaky, and the mixture of beef broth with the flavor of the bread was fucking delicious. Anyone know what type of bread I'm taking about?

I'm in Hanoi and I've been eating Pho every morning for the last 10 days. I've been getting the strangest looks from people cause of my tattoos, but soon as I sit at a street stall with a steaming bowl of Pho Bo and a Bia Hoi, it's nothing but smiles. Going to miss this place!

My choice would be Pho Grand at 277 grand right next to the B/D station

This place is owned by the Chinese. I find their broth to be salty and not clear.

edit: Have you tried Nam Son at 245 Grand? I like it a bit better than Pho Grand. There's also another place, Pho Bang on Mott street which is decent.

i used to eat at pho bang on mott st. years back when it was at its best.

i had pho there a few months ago, and it just isn't as good anymore. i'd go as far to say that it doesn't deserve its good reviews.

the rest of my family was even more harsh. they say it downright sucks now. you'd be better off eating at nam son or pho grand.

off-side: my dad was the neighbor of the owner of pho bang back in vietnam.

This place is owned by the Chinese. I find their broth to be salty and not clear.

edit: Have you tried Nam Son at 245 Grand? I like it a bit better than Pho Grand. There's also another place, Pho Bang on Mott street which is decent.

Fujian to be exact... the peoples that are behind pretty much every freaking fake chinese fastfood / buffet in the US (entire east coast for sure)

i used to eat at pho bang on mott st. years back when it was at its best.

i had pho there a few months ago, and it just isn't as good anymore. i'd go as far to say that it doesn't deserve its good reviews.

the rest of my family was even more harsh. they say it downright sucks now. you'd be better off eating at nam son or pho grand.

off-side: my dad was the neighbor of the owner of pho bang back in vietnam.

Yeah... Pho Bang not as good anymore... not sure if the chef left or something...

Nam Son on Grand and Thai Son on Baxter seems to be the same owner... but the cooks @ nam son > thai son...

the pho place on hester btwn chrystie and bowery pretty good too

Most of the pho places in NYC chinatown are owned by ethnic chinese. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, ethnic chinese are EVERYWHERE in SE asia; I haven't seen a single malaysian restaurant in manhattan chinatown that isn't similarly dominated by ethnic chinese...

I've been to nam son and heard the wait staff speaking chinese just like at pho grand ;)

There's a place in the basement next to the mei dick barber shop that was super good the last time I went too...

Of course as of late I've been going to Pho32 in fort lee which is run by (gasp) koreans who wouldn't know a good piece of star anise if it ran up and bit them in the arse, so maybe my palette has been soured. ;)