Pho?!?!?!?!

JesseJB

is there a story behind pho restaurants being called pho #_?

There are conflicting beliefs as to how phở came to be. Some believe it originated from French methods used in bouillon or consomme cooking. Oxen were valued work animals and were rarely eaten, but the arrival of the French had probably prompted servants to prepare a dish that suited the French palate. It is even said that phở, or at least the etymological derivation of that name for the dish, came from the French beef stew dish pot-au-feu, with phở being a Vietnamization of the word feu.

:)

There are conflicting beliefs as to how phở came to be. Some believe it originated from French methods used in bouillon or consomme cooking. Oxen were valued work animals and were rarely eaten, but the arrival of the French had probably prompted servants to prepare a dish that suited the French palate. It is even said that phở, or at least the etymological derivation of that name for the dish, came from the French beef stew dish pot-au-feu, with phở being a Vietnamization of the word feu.

:)

She meant why they are numbered.

They're numbered pretty much based on how lucky a number is. 9 is a lucky number, so there are a lot of 79s, 89s, 59s, around. Any kind of combination to make 9, is used. 8 and 1, be it added or subtracted, is used. So I see a lot of Pho 79s around. It gets kinda confusing, but asians are hella superstitious, and much of their lives is based on luck. That's why lots of viets live in vegas. Can't survive without gambling.

And also, those are the names of pho places back in the motherland. So they're just going on brand recognition.

She meant why they are numbered.

They're numbered pretty much based on how lucky a number is. 9 is a lucky number, so there are a lot of 79s, 89s, 59s, around. Any kind of combination to make 9, is used. 8 and 1, be it added or subtracted, is used. So I see a lot of Pho 79s around. It gets kinda confusing, but asians are hella superstitious, and much of their lives is based on luck. That's why lots of viets live in vegas. Can't survive without gambling.

And also, those are the names of pho places back in the motherland. So they're just going on brand recognition.

haha just after i posted, i realized that. goes to show my lack of reading.

but thanks for the info, i actually didn't know that about the numbers!

Where is pho#1 and pho tau bay at? The pho place i went to was pho 59? Some number up there, its the first time I got sick eating their though.

pho #1 on capital expy/silver creek intersection, tau bay is a franchise but there's one right next to pho #1 coincidently, along with pho y #1 (my pho spot) and pho hanoi (avoid).

and i'm within walking distance of all 4 of them:D:D:D

also, went to pho 59 before but have yet to get sick. probably just bad luck =\

When I am in Austin, I eat phở about two times a week. When I'm at my parents', I eat phở about nine times a week.

Once when I was eating my third bowl of phở in one day, my dad said, approvingly, "You're just like me, Lan. You could eat phở for every meal."

It's true.

• 1 month later...

we got like 40 diff pho places in Sacramento.

their names are literally Pho King, Pho King 2, etc until 5

then there's a bunch of Saigon's and other places

but pho at this one nameless corner place in the middle of the ghetto is the best I've ever had. I need to get my dad to tell me where the fuck that place is. Their eggrolls/beef noodle is also the truth man...

anyone ever hit up Sac I got you w/ the pho hookup.

• 4 months later...

so i know you viets are gonna be like, "my mom makes the best pho in the world" but that's simply not true, your palate is not refined. this is the best pho in the world. reconfirmed it today, 6 years later. And that pho 24 joint is whack, it's like mcdonalds of pho, the broth isn't even hot.

3734874338_e1833c746e.jpg

3734876236_01a85e971a.jpg

3734079457_11310c0a9b.jpg