NYC HipHop sites, record shops, clubs, clothing stores

edl1978

I going to New York with my Japanese friend for about a week. I have been to NYC a few times, but I don't really know a lot of cool things to see. My friend is a HipHop DJ in Japan and is crazy about HipHop culture so I am trying to find out some cool places to show him.

Can anyone recommend any HipHop sites, record shops, clubs, clothing stores in NYC?

I remember Fulton St. (Brooklyn) shopping area was pretty cool and Williamsburg is good too.

Thanks much, Eric.

go to turntable lab (turntablelab.com) ... they're on the superfuture NYC shop guide somewhere. there's another second hand record store a block away as well... forgot the name but they have all these polaroids up front of famous heads who have shopped there for gems. a lot of old hip hop in their bins.

I was a target cause I'm a fashion misfit

and the outfit that I'm wearing brothers dissing it

Yeah, Turntable Lab is nice...I think the other shop Srdet is referring to is A1 Records on 6th st. between (1st/A ave)...Both have a great selection...I normally rotate between those stores since I live in the area. Breakbeat Science is also nice but not much hip hop there...Other Music on 4th st. carries good vinyl from time to time..

send me your email address and I can forward you a newsletter that covers all the hip hop events in the NYC area throughout the month...//dave

“Isn’t it strange how it’s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn’t recycled?†- Aesop Rock

i haven't been since 1999 but i think fat beats should get a mention as well. is fat beats still around?? anyhow, if your friend is from japan i'm sure he'd appreciate that spot as it used to be a haven for the x-men back in their hey-days.

I was a target cause I'm a fashion misfit

and the outfit that I'm wearing brothers dissing it

yeah, it's still there....6th ave just north of 8th st (2nd floor)...definitely a spot worth hitting if you're visiting

“Isn’t it strange how it’s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn’t recycled?†- Aesop Rock