Winter coats?!

Le kid

Anyone have an opinion on H&M coats? Particularly their pea coats.

I bought an H&M peacoat in 2006 and it's still going strong, the only thing is that some of the buttons fell off and needed to be sewn back on; aside from that though, it's in great shape and still looks pretty good.

thinking about a getting a canada goose parka to survive boston winters. how is the sizing on these? i know they go all the way down to like xxxs, i'm assuming they run big. what size would a xs/s guy need?

my older brother has one, and he wears an XS with a 42" chest. it fits him well and not too tight. so if you can, get it as small as you can. but as always, your best bet is to try it on if you can. also, fyi they're warm enough to wear with just a tee in -30 celsius weather

I have a grey textured pea coat from Topman, which has a nice slim-fitting cut and a black parka-like thing from H&M.

However, I fell deeply in love with this Kasabian-like coat:

w_blackmilitary2_nNEW.jpg

the only thing that bothers me is that it buttons like a ladys. does someone know where you can cop these type of coats that button like a mens?

As far as where to buy peacoats. Go to any army navy store and they can be bought for $120. US made all wool coat. Equal to or better quality of any random $600+ high end fashion label which are more or less copying off the military issued original
Yes, and no. I've been wearing a Cooper surplus-store pea for about 10 years and the quality is great. Better than any mall brand (JCrew, BR, H&M). The wool, although thick as night, is lighter than the pea my dad bought in the '60s (you can't bend your arms) and it's nowhere near as nice as the real-deal navy shit from the '40s and '50s. It's also 100 percent work wear. It's cut big (sizing down, as I did, will result in short sleaves), it's rough, real-deal. Great with some Red Wings and beat-to-shit jeans. However, if you're rocking some 19cm and $100 haircut it will look wrong. Best go for an "inspired-by" version from a favorite designer. You won't be happy with some navy reject.

thinking about a getting a canada goose parka to survive boston winters. how is the sizing on these? i know they go all the way down to like xxxs, i'm assuming they run big. what size would a xs/s guy need?

I am usually 44/XS in stuff, I got XXS but it's slightly big for me. XXXS was way too short in the sleeves though.

I am usually 44/XS in stuff, I got XXS but it's slightly big for me. XXXS was way too short in the sleeves though.

i had the same problem when i tried them on, atleast with the blousons. i tried to find the expedition at the store i was trying them on at but they only had XL's, and my timbs are in storage.

Yes, and no. I've been wearing a Cooper surplus-store pea for about 10 years and the quality is great. Better than any mall brand (JCrew, BR, H&M). The wool, although thick as night, is lighter than the pea my dad bought in the '60s (you can't bend your arms) and it's nowhere near as nice as the real-deal navy shit from the '40s and '50s. It's also 100 percent work wear. It's cut big (sizing down, as I did, will result in short sleaves), it's rough, real-deal. Great with some Red Wings and beat-to-shit jeans. However, if you're rocking some 19cm and $100 haircut it will look wrong. Best go for an "inspired-by" version from a favorite designer. You won't be happy with some navy reject.

i have worn various surplus store peacoats since elementary school. i had a few different ones and my size 30 that i have does not fit quite as snugly when compared to my newer size 32 (they are different labels/makers but bought from the same store). neither of them look like a navy reject. there are probably at least 20 different manufacturers that make "military spec" peacoats. so just because your ten year old peacoat does not fit that well does not mean that all army/navy bought peacoats fit exactly the same. i will stick by my recommendation that the best fitting peacoat can most easily be bought at an army navy store. i am by no means being rude, these are just my opinions after trying on and searching through countless amounts of peacoats

any random s,m,l,xl coat will for the most part absolutely not have the tight fit that i require. i believe that part of this is due to many labels sell with s,m,l,xl. so you have 4 choices for fit as compared to sizes 30-50 from military coats which would likely have a greater chance to fit best. also sleeves can be lengthened in almost all jackets by a good 1 and 1/4" at least in my experience and i have had this done for $10 to $15.

I realize these are all below your levels but if you HAD to get one which would it be?

3. Picture5.png

I just bought this coat from Topman, £75, very nice fit and as you'd expect quality. approx 71% wool, 20 polyester and the rest if viscose i think.

I've had a topman peacoat for the last couple of years that i bought for £60, and it was an amazing buy as it was warm and lasted very well.

I realize these are all below your levels but if you HAD to get one which would it be?

3. Picture5.png

I just bought this coat from Topman, £75, very nice fit and as you'd expect quality. approx 71% wool, 20 polyester and the rest if viscose i think.

I've had a topman peacoat for the last couple of years that i bought for £60, and it was an amazing buy as it was warm and lasted very well.

what size did you get and how do they fit? do they run large or small?

deciding between a small and XS. Thanks!

what is that first one?

looks nice

looking for a plain black hooded jacket.

what size did you get and how do they fit? do they run large or small?

deciding between a small and XS. Thanks!

I got a small, which I would say is around 36" chest. Its got a slim cut but isn't tight. Sleeves are slim but allow full arm movement, arm opening is not billowing which I like. very deep pockets, with one internal pocket. it seems to be narrower toward the waist.

I'm 6ft1, and the length is perfect.

I got a small, which I would say is around 36" chest. Its got a slim cut but isn't tight. Sleeves are slim but allow full arm movement, arm opening is not billowing which I like. very deep pockets, with one internal pocket. it seems to be narrower toward the waist.

I'm 6ft1, and the length is perfect.

hey I PM'ed you some more questions. Thanks for the help.

tm

it is from Topman.