superliving: your room / closet / house / apartment

youngluc

Good job but it looks a little bit like a design studio or something, maybe hide some comps/materialo elsewhere? I like how you positioned the shelves. Is the sofa super small or is the angle messing with the proportions? Otherwise you have some sort of harmony problem...

moved into a house for the first time with my girlfriend. its dirt cheap (was built in the 1920's/is run-down as fuck) and is in a great location but has so many issues that i didn't even consider checking/thinking of before moving in:

1. i'm about a foot too tall for the shower (sup bill murray).

2. almost non-existent phone reception in the entire house.

3. house is freezing. the bedroom windows are permanently cracked open slightly.

4. the bedroom floor has huge craters in it and melted lino/rotten wood everywhere.

5. no power outlet in the bathroom - only one in the bedroom and one in the entire kitchen (!?).

6. the internet only randomly works for about 2hrs a day at different times.

pluses of the house:

1. really high ceilings.

2. the other girl living there is nice enough.

3. ???

all kind of first world problems, i know. i don't know how the other girl (who is 22) has lived there for 3 years...

Edited by conqueror

moved into a house for the first time with my girlfriend. its dirt cheap (was built in the 1920's/is run-down as fuck) and is in a great location but has so many issues that i didn't even consider checking/thinking of before moving in:

1. i'm about a foot too tall for the shower (sup bill murray).

2. almost non-existent phone reception in the entire house.

3. house is freezing. the bedroom windows are permanently cracked open slightly.

4. the bedroom floor has huge craters in it and melted lino/rotten wood everywhere.

5. no power outlet in the bathroom - only one in the bedroom and one in the entire kitchen (!?).

6. the internet only randomly works for about 2hrs a day at different times.

pluses of the house:

1. really high ceilings.

2. the other girl living there is nice enough.

3. ???

all kind of first world problems, i know. i don't know how the other girl (who is 22) has lived there for 3 years...

Sounds like a home improvement dream.  Just download some old This Old House and New Yankee Workshop and go to town.

Good job but it looks a little bit like a design studio or something, maybe hide some comps/materialo elsewhere? I like how you positioned the shelves. Is the sofa super small or is the angle messing with the proportions? Otherwise you have some sort of harmony problem...

Agreed on the design studio thing, Next step is finding a better way to position everything in the room. Unfortunately I can't do without me and my gf's computers but we are thinking about making a one piece desk that would be on the same level as the window border and introduce cable management. The sofa isn't that small it just looks like it on the picture. I tried switching it with the red chair, it works so far.

Here is my apartment.

http://imgur.com/a/IOgE1#0

Ick. Can anybody recommend anything right off the bat? I wish I could make it more cohesive and functional.

immediate reaction is it seems like there is too much furniture in the apartment, and all of it is way too bulky. you need to streamline a bit and open up the arrangement of the furniture to make it feel less enclosed.

living room: the easy chair seems unnecessary with such a large couch (couch also seems too large for the room). why is that TV there if everything is pointed in the other direction? i think the bookshelf could be replaced by a less obtrusive shelving system. are the two laptops and a monitor necessary? maybe you could set up a projector for that wall. do the guitars always get stored on the couch? look into mounting them on your wall. dining table also too big for the room.

bedroom: do you also need a couch in the bedroom? ditch that and move the dresser from the living room into the bedroom

Agreed on the design studio thing, Next step is finding a better way to position everything in the room. Unfortunately I can't do without me and my gf's computers but we are thinking about making a one piece desk that would be on the same level as the window border and introduce cable management. The sofa isn't that small it just looks like it on the picture. I tried switching it with the red chair, it works so far.

What's your favourite solution/brand for cable management? I basically need to fix a modem+wi-fi+thing for my wifistereo pile and was wondering what to get.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so I'm moving in this house, I will be getting the back half of the basement along with one small bedroom. In the back area, I was thinking of dividing it from the front area with some sort of door (any ideas). Also I'm looking for a nice corner desk, maybe glass or something dark to get some work done as well as maybe a small monitor set up...for video games  :happy: . I'm looking to paint the basement with maybe a dark blue or dark grey, thoughts? 

http://tours.virtualgta.com/public/vtour/display/108813?a=1

really impressed with some of your guys living arrangements. Where do you get inspiration? recommend good magazines or blogs?

My place is cozy, but it's not stylish really. pretty minimal and functional and gets the job done. I never look at furniture, but i should maybe start, i feel like i don't have a great sense of interior design, but really appreciate something when i see it. 

• 2 weeks later...

It was all my roommates things he already had from his old place. I brought the entertainment center and bald eagle picture and that's it. 

I figured the chair could be used for reading or other things besides watching tv and there was a lot of wasted room where the couch is going out towards now.

The viewing angles are way better this way and the round table fits better like this I thought.

Edited by bargerhm