superliving: your room / closet / house / apartment

youngluc

Try buying a house in a nice part of London these days... I can definitely see myself settling down in that area in a few years. And if he's near Seven Sisters it's not so bad transport wise. 

Yeah, I know. I lived on White Hart Lane for 10 years so know the area well (posted house a few pages back in fact).

it's only a matter of time that the likes of seven sisters and tottenham will become a lot more 'hospitable'

won't even give it a decade

I looked a place off Philip Lane in 2007 - 3 floors, 6 bedrooms, 2 living rooms, 2 KITCHENS - £399,999. Was really messed up though and we couldn't afford the cost of renovations.

I'd say now is probably the time to buy there. Couple more years and it will go the way of places like Walthamstow.

I maintain that it's a shit area though. 

don't understand the vitsoe overload

I kind of like the idea of purchasing one object and having the same company back the same product for decades. Considering each chair is ~4k configured, if I can call the same company in 35 years time and get some warranty-work done, I'm leaning towards vitsoe myself.  

personally, i think vitsoe is actually quite reasonable if you live in the uk since everything is priced in gbp due to their home base being in london + you don't have to take into consideration bad exchange rates/shipping costs/other taxes (which often add up to hundreds if not thousands when you are purchasing from overseas).

Edited by conqueror

Since I have such a small, temporary apt right now I'm wary of buying any new furniture, but since I want to give furniture design a shot I'm going to try to make furniture as I need it.  I already have one chair in mind that's ready to be built... I just need to have someone walk me through welding and metalworking first.  Not sure how to bend aluminum tubing into a 3.5' diameter ring. 

Edited by Schoon

I design and make wood and easily shaped polyester furniture for my home and for friends.

That's what I am comfortable with . I leave the welding, frame and upholstering making to the pro's..Mainly because that have better equipment and a workshop suited for that kind of work.

My workshop is a woodworking one and I get asked by them to do things in return.

My advice ..Get a workshop to do the assembly and your work. Find some place to do your welding for you and if you do the stuff you think you're comfortable with (the assembly and building work of the chair.) 

Believe me it saves you stress and costs on material and rent of equipment..

I'm lucky enough to have a machine shop on campus with a very helpful staff. They could bend/weld the metal for me no problem, but I'd like them to teach me those skills so that I don't have to make them do it every time I come in. That's what the shop's there for, anyway

Unless of course your studies make you study so you have enough knowledge on welding and iron work for your degree then get into it.  Welding is easy but you need the constant practice and that's why I say leave it to the pro's. It seems you have them at your disposal so the stuff you use on a daily basis looks great instead of average.. 

Welding is one of those things thats easy to do but hard to do right

You're not going to have nice welds for a while, and aluminum is a whole different level.

On "presentation" pieces like your chair bad welds will make it look like shit - regardless of the workmanship on the rest of it.

Like aso2004 said, leave it to the pros.

Not trying to discourage you from learning to weld tho - Its a great/functional skill to have.

• 3 months later...

Welding is one of those things thats easy to do but hard to do right

You're not going to have nice welds for a while, and aluminum is a whole different level.

On "presentation" pieces like your chair bad welds will make it look like shit - regardless of the workmanship on the rest of it.

Like aso2004 said, leave it to the pros.

Not trying to discourage you from learning to weld tho - Its a great/functional skill to have.

True that, you'll need an AC/DC GTAW welder + argon gas for welding aluminum.

Kinda expensive, and hard to do and make the weld look nice.

Hired a machinist to form / weld the metal part of the chair for me about 2 months ago.  We agreed on a price / timeframe, but I haven't heard a word from him since, even after a few messages asking for an update.  Sent him a final message discontinuing his services three weeks ago, still nothing.  

Gonna put the chair on hold and try to build a desk I designed instead.  It's mostly wood with no complex metal parts (just some bent alum angle for bracing), so it should be a straightforward process and a good learning experience. 

Edit:  thought I'd post the sketch of the desk.

Desk plate is 3/4" plywood w/ white acrylic top plate.  

Legs are different sized wood dowels, diameters range from 1" - 2"

front, back, and underside (shows desk shape and layout of dowels)

iVeNjqO.png

Edited by Schoon

• 2 weeks later...