superliving: your room / closet / house / apartment

youngluc

maybe he's going for the black and white theme intentionally? I'd say keep it going and get only black and white art/photos/rugs/plants? I don't think it necessarily needs to be more warm, but definitely more lived-in and homey. i really like the floors.

Thanks for input everyone. I'll get some acoustic panels in warm colors and rug also.. Not sure 'bout the curtains yet. 

And that standard unit comment was good, it really is like one right now. Well - 3 weeks in or so, I'm still working on it ;)

I was looking at the first picture and playing detective in my own mind saying this was in Finland for sure due to the window setup. Then i looked at your profile info and realised the answer was right in front of my face anyway.

Just moved into this. I designed the whole apartment, what you think about it?
Sure it's small but gotta start somewhere.... This is my first own apartment, I only have rented before. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reallyy nice place, aeroplane. clean windows, nice floors, lots of sunlight. i love how your dog has a cave under the TV.

but I'm not feeling the furniture arrangement, namely the two sofa chairs and two lounge chairs that are side-by-side. i think I remember learning an interior design rule stating that you should avoid having things in twos, whether it's chairs or artwork or whatever. not that rules need to be followed 100%, but it seems to be true in your case

• 2 months later...

Pretty general/dumb question, but does anyone have suggestions for a small bedroom?  I moved into a space for school and my rooms extremely tiny but also has a pretty ridiculous layout.  I've looked around for inspiration on apartment therapy and in this thread and have a few ideas. 

I know I definitely want to try to find some bookshelves that I can hang on my wall to utilize floor space and a bike rack to get my bike on the wall. I'm also trying to work on organization more so I can get rid of my dresser.  Anyone have good solutions they're using that they like?  I've been working on living more minimalist and getting rid of a lot of stuff I don't need and found some good ideas browsing superorganized.

Luckily I've got a bit of money i can use towards furniture and I'll probably take a look at getting a small desk and some storage from Ikea.  I know a lot of people seem to like the expedite shelves which might be a good idea for storage.  

This is a poorly done blueprint of my layout just to give an idea of what this room looks like.

\QZHXbMzl.jpg

• 1 month later...

Also, any ideas on covering up this gross carpet?  I won't be here longer than a year or two so I can't replace it. I might just throw down a few area rugs (or live with it)

h5O37b4l.jpg

Just live with it... like you said you're only gonna live there like a year...

more important than having a cool room, since you're gonna be moving again relatively soon, is to just get cheap comfortable stuff that's not hard to move or toss out. I just recently finished school and moved 3 times in 4 years. I had a mattress/box, desk I can break down, and a small side table with drawers. Easy to move, and enough to hold my shit. Now that I have a more permanent spot (tho still sharing a house with friends in a medium sized room) I began to fill out my furniture and get to be a bit more creative.

Small spaces: build up, small footprint, and only necessities. Light colors make the room feel bigger. 

Do you have a closet?

Just live with it... like you said you're only gonna live there like a year...

more important than having a cool room, since you're gonna be moving again relatively soon, is to just get cheap comfortable stuff that's not hard to move or toss out. 

So true. Save that cash til you have something for the long term.

I have an empty, rectangular living room with light brown hardwood floors and white walls. Any suggestions for furniture colors? I was going to do some things in white and some in a slightly lighter mahogany / coffee color that is easily distinguishable from black. I'd appreciate any advice!

yeah I'd say you are on the right track with the focus on camel/tobacco & white colored furniture.  At least if given the chance to redo my layout I would focus on those main shades.

But I would recommend getting an area rug.  That is in a darker color probably.

I have a light cream / off-white rug in my room which I think looks fantastic with by shelves and stuff, which are a brighter white. Ugh, it's so hard to visualize what would look good... I definitely want a living room rug, but it'll likely be much larger than my room rug (and also much pricier). Currently experiencing severe decision paralysis because in my head the couch / coffee table / rug / dining set design and color are all contingent on each other, fuck.

I'm sure it would be possible to rig up a decision tree calculator where I could just input all possible colors and favorable color combinations and get the optimal color combinations as an output.... :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...