superliving: your room / closet / house / apartment

youngluc

I'm sick of buying frames for posters/prints I make. Does anyone have suggestions as far as frameless solutions? Sleeves?

I used to work at a place that had a nice solution which I was going to copy. They had a length of high tensile wire running along one wall, and hung prints off that with bulldog clips. Looked pretty good, and easy to swap stuff around. 

Used something like this...

http://www.sew4home.com/sites/sewmk.mervideo.com/files/images/articles/0423-20091011-5DMkII-IMG_7663-21_b.jpg

Also seen people use sheets of pegboard which looked pretty cool as long as it's cut to fit the wall exactly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trying to decide on a new rug for my orange togo setup on a light wood parquet floor, as seen here (same photo as recent purchases I know):

75975_10101439350012849_387272684_n.jpg

I'd kill for something like this:

http://www.nanimarquina.com/en/product/losanges-ii

but budget doesn't allow for that right now (it's almost 5k).

Looking for something wool or silk + handmade. Thinking really dark grey/maybe dark navy to contrast between the floor. Other furniture is either a silver Kartell four table/clear plastic kartell/white table, so pretty neutral and modern. Currently have a dark red handmade oriental that doesn't go so much anymore. Not really into shag/weird floor things.

http://www.yliving.com/surya-nuage-rug.html - This is kinda interesting but it's machine made and idk if I'm really into fake distressing.

http://www.yliving.com/chandra-rugs-rupec-rain-rug.html - same as above.

Edited by exhaust fumes

i have a weakness for traditional-looking oriental rugs

if i were you i'd do that, it would keep the place from going overboard contemporary looking

maybe a cheap one as a placeholder until you get the one you really want

Yeah, I agree, places that have too much contemporary/modern stuff in them come off as really clichéd or cold.

Although there is this bad boy that I kind of love as a go between the both of them:

824069_l.jpg

Only problem is that it's ~4k.

Edited by exhaust fumes

Discovering Dieter Rams and reading up on his design philosophy is making me think more analytically about living spaces.  Which is good - but also makes me realize how underwhelming my current living situation is.  

3(41).jpg

Rams's 620 chair and 621 side table

perhaps saatchi, they've got some pretty nice original artworks including photography and some works have prints available too 

Any other suggestions for places to buy prints online? Saatchi is not bad but has wayyy too much average stuff to trawl through.

any smaller independent stores?

Discovering Dieter Rams and reading up on his design philosophy is making me think more analytically about living spaces.  Which is good - but also makes me realize how underwhelming my current living situation is.  

My wife and I just got a real fixer upper - basically gutting the house over the next few months. Have decided to do the majority of the work myself.

I'm going to be getting the Vitsoe 606 Universal Shelving System by Dieter Rams for my home office and I'm pretty stoked about it. Will post pictures of the full reno once we're done.

• 2 weeks later...

3(41).jpg

You're doing better than most of us on here, man. Any recommendations on reading?

You're doing better than most of us on here, man. Any recommendations on reading?

Denton's right, its a press image.  But now that I read my post again I'm realizing the way I worded it does sound like I'm pretending that it's my living room...  and damn do i wish it was...

I got the image from an article on metropolismag.com, but that site rarely has articles that I find interesting.  If you haven't heard of Dieter Rams' ten principles for good design i recommend giving them a read (https://www.vitsoe.com/gb/about/good-design). 

The tenth principle is one I try to live by the most (Rams' "greatest commandment," so to speak):  "Good design is as little design as possible." 

Edited by Schoon

• 3 weeks later...

washing machine placement seems a bit dodgy from safety standpoint..

Huh? I don't really know, it seems like everyone has it like that here in Finland? at least in small apartments..

You need some personality/art/rugs/something going on there, IMO. Right now it's a little bit too much like "Demo Unit".

Hell, even a plant would give it some life.

True, planning on getting something. 2 weeks in here, need to get at least one plant and I am getting painted acoustic panels to the walls. I'm also in market for a rug but no idea what kind of rug I want, yet... Curtains also.

isn't the tv too low?

I dig a low TV. I hate when people hang TVs on walls and you have to stare up at it.

Nice apartment, men. Looks like a relaxing environment! I think you need a bit of contrast in some of the rooms though, as everything else is very crisp. Like, maybe something reclaimed/tatty in the bedroom or something.

Very dope crib though!