PLEASE HELP ME, I want to be initiated...

Bigmike

I just became a member of this site, but I have been coming to the site for almost three weeks now. Over the past few months I have been hopelessly absorbing every thing I could about the subculture of limited editon tees, kicks, artwork, supreme, Bape, kaws, etc etc. I have always been a fan of hiphop, tokyo fashion, and I own a fair amount of nice sneakers. As a matter of fact if not for pharrel Williams' unapologetic promotion of the Bathing Ape brand I probably would not even be on this site.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I want to be initiated, If you guys know any sites that I should check out so I can learn more of what you guys already know please list them. Feel free to post as many as 10-100 sites that I should check out.

Sites I already know about:

- www.thehundreds.com (I go here almost everyday, real cool site)

- www.madewithrest.com (Are these guys big in japan?)

- www.swagger-co.com

- www.bape.com (and its ot even open yet, jeez, its been months, I'm dying here)

- www.stussy.com

- www.evilmonito.com

- www.vintagekicks.com

As you can all see I AM A NUBE, please help me.

Bigmike

Pharrell was wearing DC's and cargo pants and von dutch hats not too long ago,so him backing something is about as useful as a screendoor in a submarine,ape was huge years ago,pre-internet as Jupafett perfectly puts it...what you buy and things you get free dont mean youre down...dont let all that shit get in the way of your consumerisms....be yourself and rock what you like and feel comfortable in...most of the brands you sweat were created out of boredom from brands currently available at the times of their conception..whats NEXT is what you should set your sights on...but then again,what do i know.

Its better to not say anything and appear to be the fool,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

after Jupe's doin jumping you in behind the school at 3, you should definitely take a gander at:

beinghunted.com

hypebeast.com

rthq.com

gureala.com

for all your "news" in the scene.

other than that, i don't really think there's any way to get "intiated" here. as of this point, i don't think there is any soldified/unified subculture that we stand upon. Most of us here have sneaker fetishes, and make/appreciate art. some of us grew up skateboarding, some grew up goin to punk shows, others are b-boys. you see, there's no membership to a particular group because we all have something different to bring to the table

but i guess all of us are here on Supertalk because we're interested in fashion and clothing and how it relates to each of our backgrounds. so as long as you have that straight, you'll be fine.

I guess my only bit of "advice" is not to stress too much about it..! Seems like you've been taking in a lot lately, but just consider how all this "cool" stuff relates to your own life and experiences. and make your own stuff! DIY!!!! i know i recommended you to some "media" outlets, but take all that "cool" news for a grain of a salt. Bape this, Pharrell that. But in the end, if you're more stoked on the latest cuts at Abercrombie, then that's you. DO YOU!!

and for goodness sake, stop reading The Hundreds. that site's for posers.

thehundreds is huge.

www.thehundreds.com

KID WAS RIPE FOR A NEW ONE BUT SINCE EVERYONE TOOK IT EASY ON HIM AND I'LL STAND BY THAT...

BASICALLY THERE'S NO "MEMBERSHIP", "CHARTER" OR "APPLICATION" TO THIS OR ANY SUBCULTURE.

SOME NAMES AND BRANDS ARE LEGIT OTHERS ARE NOT. THAT DEPENDS ON HOW HARD YOU OR ANY

OTHER PERSON PUTS INTO THE GAME TO ACCEPT ALL THAT CAN COME FROM IT. LIKE ANY OTHER

SUBCULTURE LOOKING THE PART AND BEING SEEN HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. IN FACT LURKING THE

SIDELINES HAS NEVER BEEN COOL. BEING HONEST ABOUT YOUR INTEREST IS COOL, GETTING IN WITH AN

IDEA ON HOW TO MAKE THINGS BETTER IS BEST. THIS CULTURE HAS REALLY NO RULES BUT FOR CERTAIN

ONLY HOW TRUE YOUR PART IS PLAYED. IF DONE WITH THE RIGHT STEE AND STRUCTURE YOU COULD BE

THE NEXT GUY TO MAKE A MARK SELLING SLICED WHITE BREAD. WHY BE A CONSUMER WHEN YOU COULD

BE A PRODUCER.

JUST REMEMBER THIS MUCH...

NEVER CAMPOUT [sTARWARS EXCLUDED], EBAY IS FOR SUCKERS,

AND THE TERM, PHRASE, CONCEPT "LIMITED EDITION" DOESN'T MEAN SHIT.

SHIT IS WACK

Big Mike-

Don't even get into it- by the time you catch up with the lable whores that shit won't even be cool anymore.

Find the next jumpoff- if you find out about something from a pop star, its probably time to move on to the next thing.

The fact that these brands are blown up kind of kills everything cause there are a million posers rocking the shit. Before maybe if someone had some ill kicks or some Bape shit or whatever, you'd be like "oh they are in the know, they are on top of shit." But now, it doesn't mean shit. You may see some kid at a party totally steezed out but he's the biggest bitch ever who doesn't know shit and is just on Pharell's dick.

The good thing about this board is that there are some serious people on it who really know what they are talking about, they are helpful when it comes to shopping/travelling, and you have alot of cats really in the industry. Bape, all that shit, what a yawn now. So many people spending so much on what ultimately will be a passing trend or the next mega brand at Up Against the Wall- straight suckers. I say make your own shit or keep your eyes out for the next jumpoff.

And Jupa is right, but don't be scared of Ebay. Just don't buy anything Supreme, Bape or Nike on it (except for like $60 Jordan's thats the fuckin jumpoff). Use it for shit like white leather jackets or acid washed jeans with elastic cuffs or jars with ghosts in them.

I love to hate. Do your thing.

It's Red Motherfucking Foxxworth coming straight from VA, and I've been known to make the hoes bounce it up and down like the WNBA

• 2 weeks later...